Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Wiper Windscreen Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Wiper Windscreen Sensor

Has anyone replaced one of these.
Trying to find out how the sensor is attached to the windscreen and how easy it is to remove.
Due to limited space behind mirror i'm not able to see properly how its fitted.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:22 AM

Had a look at the mirror mounting this morning. To get to the sensor I need to remove the rear view mirror mount.
This is clipped onto the mounting button on the windscreen.
Can anyone answer if this just lifts upwards to unclip from the screen.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:24 PM

how do you remove factory rear view mirror? I already removed the top mounting but base is attached to the windshield, doesn't seem to have any screws or bolts?! How do I remove base mount from windshield? Many thanks!

Originally Posted by Sergehog
Had a look at the mirror mounting this morning. To get to the sensor I need to remove the rear view mirror mount.
This is clipped onto the mounting button on the windscreen.
Can anyone answer if this just lifts upwards to unclip from the screen.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Sergehog
Has anyone replaced one of these.
Trying to find out how the sensor is attached to the windscreen and how easy it is to remove.
Due to limited space behind mirror i'm not able to see properly how its fitted.

The sensor is bonded to the glass. When the windshield is replaced it even comes complete with a new sensor bonded to it.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Gold_04_X-Type
The sensor is bonded to the glass. When the windshield is replaced it even comes complete with a new sensor bonded to it.
Hi there! I want to install a 04 JAGUAR XJ8 rear view mirror in my 2002 X type. Do you know or where can I find 04 JAGUAR XJ8 rear view mirror wiring diagram? It has compass feature in the mirror that X type doesn't! Thanks for your help.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:37 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by Gold_04_X-Type
Not true!

Old 12-21-2011, 04:50 AM

Sensor is attached with a clear silicon pad (replacement around £3.50 from dealers).

Found previous owner of my car had the windscreen replaced and they fitted one without clear the bit for sensor. So no auto wipers even though they are factory fitted.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:40 AM

I've posted on this a couple of times, since I had by screen replaced earlier this year;

Originally Posted by Cambo351
My car has non-heated screen, with Electro-mirror and rain sensor.
I had a new screen fitted earlier this year, and it already had the black plastic mounting bracket for the auto-dimming mirror on it.

When I spoke to the glazier about which screen I needed, he asked me if it was heated, and if it had the rain sensor, but no specific question about the automatic mirror. Now when the guys turned up to fit the screen, they had a few different ones in the van, cause they weren't sure which one was needed.

Only one of the screen's had the black plastic mount for the auto-mirror on it, but apparently no window for the rain sensor.
Turns out it's the same screen always for the auto-mirror or rain sensor, and you have to scrape away a black plastic film with a razor to expose the window for the rain sensor.

I've just had a look in the JEPC, and the first question for the windscreen is electrochromatic interior mirror or without.

Four different versions available in the end, breaks down like this;
Electro-Mirror &/or Rain Sensor, Heated, C2S50628
Electro-Mirror &/or Rain Sensor, Non-Heated, C2S50629
Without Electro-Mirror &/or Rain Sensor, Heated, C2S49444
Without Electro-Mirror &/or Rain Sensor, Non-Heated, C2S49441
Getting back to the windscreen, I had mine replaced a few months back & the guys who did it were really switched on.

Bloke called up & asked; Heated, yes or no? Rain Sensor, yes or no? VIN please, just to be sure.

I already mentioned in another post, that when the screen arrived it apparently had no window for the rain sensor, there's a black plastic film that covers the window, this needs to be scraped off, leaving a nice round window.
Adam, do you have the auto-dimming rear view mirror?

I had a new front screen put in a few weeks back.
My car has the rain sensor, and the auto-dimming mirror.
The installer was convinced he had the wrong screen because there was no "window" for the rain sensor. Turns out that all X-Type screens have the window, but it's blacked out & needs to be exposed by scraping away a black plastic film with a razor blade. The screen had a black plastic surface-mounted bracket for mounting the mirror. I'd hope that it'll be the same in the US, where the part number said "with rain sensor" but the actual screen fit's those without too, cause the window is covered in black film.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:45 AM

Cheers for that info.

Will remove mirror and sensor and have a look.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 928paul
Hi there! I want to install a 04 JAGUAR XJ8 rear view mirror in my 2002 X type. Do you know or where can I find 04 JAGUAR XJ8 rear view mirror wiring diagram? It has compass feature in the mirror that X type doesn't! Thanks for your help.
I'd like to see the wiring diagram too, but if the mirror from the XJ8 has the auto dimming feature like the X-Type you're putting it in, will the XJ mirror fit the same bracket that's on the X-Type? Are they interchangable to give the X-Type the compass feature and the auto dimming feature?

Old 12-26-2011, 01:57 PM

Well tried with no luck.

Area inside mounting bracket seems to be bonded to the glass, had a good old scrape around with a stanley blade and just managed to blunt the blade. No visible sign of any area that will come off for the sensor.

Back to the drawing board.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:35 PM

Bugger!

Maybe it's only the new screens that have this....