X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery dead??? Need help! - RESOLVED

Old 08-14-2012, 10:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery dead??? Need help! - RESOLVED

Parked my 08 Jag X-Type 3.0 in my garage for about 1.5 months and I tried opening my car door today and my both key fobs didn't work. So I opened the door manually with the key. Started the car, and it started albeit strangely. LCD slowly faded away. Dash light started dimming. Funny unheard sound from under the hood. Messages like "DSC fault, Transmission failure, TPM error" started scrolling. It ran like 2-3 mins then engine putt putted and died.
All the lights disappeared, and no more sound at all after i turned the ignition again. Only like a soft tune or buzz sound.

My Jag never had a single issue before under my hands. Dealership had put a new battery last year before I bought the car. And I enjoyed this car very much.

I serviced my car with Castrol Syntec 1.5 months ago and parked in my garage while I left town. The mechanic who serviced it even commented on its excellent condition.

Now I am a sad guy who can't sleep until I get my baby started and running as before. Please help!!! That's my wife slapping me...sorry!

Last edited by GGG; 08-17-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Add 'RESOLVED' to thread title
Old 08-14-2012, 11:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Samething happend to me last night, freaked me the hell out! Good news though just change the battery and she be all good again........

Black Cat

Old 08-15-2012, 02:01 AM
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

if you are not going to drive the car for a while, get yourself a battery tender or trickle charger. It was a $900 lesson I learned when I had the QP. I left the car unused for about 2 weeks and when I tried to turn the car over it would just click. Tried to turn it over so much that I shorted out the starter relay. A new battery cost me $200 but Maserati charged me $680 for the tow to the dealership and a replacement relay. The dealership tried to sell me one of their C-Tek battery tenders for $220, but I just got a battery tender from my local Kragen for $65 and never ever had a problem with it again. mercedes and jaguars should be ok if you drive it at least once a month but I have it hooked up to a tender just for peace of mind. I probably drive the XF 2 to 3 times a month. TC

Last edited by tc1728; 08-15-2012 at 02:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Soarer (08-16-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 03:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

It will be the battery.
If you're going to charge it with anything other than the trickle charger TC suggests then disconnect the battery earth lead to avoid any chance of frying your electronics.
I don't know about X types but XK8/R's MUST be double locked when left for any time.
Leaving them unlocked -and worse leaving the key in-seriously increases the battery drain.

Soarer (08-16-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 04:30 AM
GGG
Received 16,756 Likes on 12,145 Posts

Originally Posted by SOARER
............... Please help!!! That's my wife slapping me...sorry!
Good to hear you've found something fun to do whilst waiting for a resolution.

+1 to the battery care advice

Also to locking and arming the vehicle when parked up. This puts the systems into 'sleep' mode and has the lowest battery drain.

Graham

Old 08-15-2012, 06:24 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Please keep in mind that all batteries have a finite life to them. You can only pull but so much power out of them before they are dead. IN the case of any modern day car with a computer,it is pulling power 24/7 as long as the battery cables are connected. While it may be small (normally under 0.020 amps), over time, this adds up and can lead to what you saw. You start adding in aftermarket stuff and the amount of draw can go up significantly. Like was mentioned, the use of a trickle charger is advisable to make up for any losses.

Soarer (08-19-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 10:23 AM

Yes Black Cat, I am having a similiar issue like yours.

Thanks a lot gents...I am feeling a lot better now!

I just checked up the Jag Dealership papers from last year when I bought it. They had put in a new batt 'H780J' as what the service report says.

So can I confirm with you gents that I have the following 3 options to take :

1. My colleague has a trickle charger that he uses for his BMW X3. I can use that charger to hook up to my + and - terminals and charge it up.
I am not sure what charger but I will post here once I find out.

2. Boost my Jag batt using my truck, and let it run for like 30 mins.

3. Replace the batt completely. This will be my last option as my batt is fairly a new one. And I don't want the hassle of reprogramming my Jag.

Steveinfrance :
You say "If you're going to charge it with anything other than the trickle charger TC suggests then disconnect the battery earth lead to avoid any chance of frying your electronics."

Meaning when I use either option 1 & 2 above, I disconnect the -ve lead? Will that cause me to reprogram my Jag?

Will this cause any problem with my Alarm system?

What do you mean by "double locked"? Now I have left my Jag unlocked using my key, and it remains that way while I assess my options for the battery.

Please advise...Thanks All!!!

Old 08-15-2012, 03:32 PM

I borrowed the CTEK 3300 which charges at 3.3A. And it's for lead-acid batt 2-90Ah.

Output voltageNominal: 12VEfficiencyHIGH 85%Charging voltage14.4V /14.7VCharging current0.8/3.3A max

This will work? Thanks...

Old 08-15-2012, 05:50 PM
GGG

That will work OK.

I generally have my Jaguar garaged during the summer and use my other car. I've been using a CTEX XS7000 (a higher specification unit but same principle as the 3300) for two years now and never had a starting issue with either vehicle.

Graham

Old 08-15-2012, 06:07 PM

Funny you should mention the battery of all things. I have had a few times when I would have to jump start recently. After a trip to the parts store (136.00 later for a new battery), they test my alternator and inform me that it too is bad.

When it rains it pours....

Old 08-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 299 Likes on 215 Posts

My car is currently stuck in an airport carpark, after being parked for a week & I'm waiting for the breakdown service man to arrive. Just before I left I had a problem with the internal lights not turning off, so I took the bulbs out hoping that would fix the problem until I got back. But it obviously hasn't. My biggest problem right now is that the battery's in the boot, & it won't open. Anyone know how to manualy open an S-type's boot?

Old 08-16-2012, 09:29 AM

Sorry to hear of your situation, Scatcat...check under the S-type section in this forum and I am sure there are some info on that. I remember when I was googling for dead battery for X-type, I came across many sites describing the do's for S-type. Good luck!

As for me, I have hooked up the CTEK 3300 charger and I see the indicator on the charger as 'charging'! I suppose it is charging at 3.3A so probably it may take about 24 hours for my 80Ah battery to get fully charged...

I just want to confirm 2 things with the experts here:

1. I connected the crocodile clips to the + and - terminals of my battery. My - is grounded from what I see.
That should be correct rite?

2. Once indicator shows as 'charged', I will power off my charger and disconnect the - followed by +. And then I just start the car. Is that correct?

Thanks a lot.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:04 AM
GGG

1. Negative = Ground (it's a long time since any British vehicles used +ve Earth)

2. Disconnect in reverse order to the connection procedure. -ve first then +ve

If you decide to purchase a CTEK, they are supplied with a permanent harness for battery connection with a quick fit connector as well as the crocodile clips. The quick fit connector is much easier and more convenient than crocodile clips.

Graham

Soarer (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 05:35 PM

I will post a couple pics of my set up when I get home if you guys are interested. TC

Old 08-16-2012, 06:05 PM

I would like to see what you got.

Thanks

Old 08-16-2012, 07:09 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by scatcat
Anyone know how to manualy open an S-type's boot?
Insert the key in the hole under the letter 'U' in JAGUAR on the boot lid and turn...........

Old 08-17-2012, 01:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Soarer
Steveinfrance :
You say "If you're going to charge it with anything other than the trickle charger TC suggests then disconnect the battery earth lead to avoid any chance of frying your electronics."

Meaning when I use either option 1 & 2 above, I disconnect the -ve lead? Will that cause me to reprogram my Jag?

Will this cause any problem with my Alarm system?

What do you mean by "double locked"? Now I have left my Jag unlocked using my key, and it remains that way while I assess my options for the battery.

Please advise...Thanks All!!!
Sorry about the delay, various problems this end
If you're using a trickle charger of good quality there's no need to disconnect your battery.
I suggest disconnecting if you are using a booster type (high current) charger or one of dubious quality

Disconnecting the battery will cause your radio to ask for a security code and require you to re-teach the windows (all the way down, hold 5 secs, all the way up, hold 5 secs) that's all.

If you are jump starting you MUST follow the correct sequence for connection and disconnection found in your driver's handbook.
Finally Graham gave the right term for 'double lock' - press the 'Lock' on you remote control twice.
Hope that helps.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:28 PM

Hi gents...This morning finally the CTEK charger indicator showed it was fully charged. I think it must have taken about 30-35 hours of charge for my 80Ah battery.

I disconnected the charger and with "cold, sweaty" hands, I turned my ignition. And this baby purred like a cat to say she is back in business. She started beautifully, and all the electronics seem just as it was before. I only had to toggle the miles/km switch. Looks like everything else retained their settings. My 2 key fobs are working now just as before.

The only slight worry I have now is whether the battery will retain its charge and whether the alternator is charging as it should. I never had any issue with the alternator, battery or starter prior to this...

Norri (08-17-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sparky72
I would like to see what you got.

Thanks
I made a thread for you and the others who have PM'ed me. TC

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...34/#post565285

Old 08-17-2012, 07:26 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by Soarer
Hi gents...This morning finally the CTEK charger indicator showed it was fully charged. I think it must have taken about 30-35 hours of charge for my 80Ah battery.....................
Good news.

I've changed the thread title to add 'RESOLVED' so anyone with the same problem doing a search will know this is where to find the solution.

Graham