Sponsored by:

Bought my first Jag last week.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought my first Jag last week.

Hi all, first post.

03 X-Type, 44,000Kms, $14K CDN.

Looked in very good shape, so I bought it after a short test drive (bad move).

Had to replace a Right Rear Sway bar to pass saftety inspection though, it was worn, Mechanic showed me how much play there was.

Underneath looked real clean.

It also appears to have a very small oil pan gasket leak (are they known for that or was this due to the car sitting, it was in storage for a while).
Mechanic said it might leak 300ml oil every 5000Kms, @$91 hr for their labour rate (6 hour job), I may wait a while for that repair, it's not urgent.

Anyhow, happy with it so far, like the AWD option as I'm Canadian.

Lots of questions now.

I've never owned a real leather interiour, any tips on protection (with the winter coming on). I have leatherette in my 05 BMW 325, I like the real thing!

Looking for advice on rust protection, as I plan on driving it this winter.
Should I get a grease/graphic kinda undercoating then maybe a RustCheck/Krown check thing for in the doors & body?

AWD, so next is Tires. Good All Seasons, Winter or Studded Winters? Stock rims OK (will they hold up to salt) or should I look for some recycled rims or steel rims (Dealer wants $270/rim, then more for hub caps).

One more, I'm not a big fan of the "Leaper" and I kinda expect him to grow legs in the parking lot some day and disappear.
I've read the tips here on replacing it with a badge, sounds like an easy swap.
My question is this. What badge would you recommend that would look best against black paint?

Last edited by PositiveG; 06-19-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Welcome to the forums
Congrats and I think you would like your X Type quite as much . As for the leaper , X Type leapers seem different than what we do use on our XJs . You may also buy Arden's removable leapers but they are slightly pricey and I don't know their exact size either .

Old 06-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Very clean car, i bought mine for 12k cdn, from ahonda dealer, and it need a new fuel system, found rust on it after the winter, which im getting fixed this week and the parts are very expensive, my bushings are alos shot but ill fix those when i have a bit more money. Mines a 02, 2.5l, with 80k km, i feel like i got jipped now compared to ur car, i was going to get the 4.2l st ype r, to bad alberta winters would kill a car like that.

Last edited by Disco stu55; 06-20-2009 at 03:17 PM. Reason: missing info
Old 06-21-2009, 07:50 AM

I don't think that's a bad price, $12K Cdn for an 02 with 80K kms, it's just about right, but the fuel system issues would have/should have lowered the price.

This one for $14K with 44K kms was basically a sell it today price. The guy dumped it for a quick sale (it was his wifes car). I guess he/she didn't want the hassle or the waiting I guess.
He put it on Kijiji.ca and I bought it 2 hours later. He was well off anyhow, didn't really need to make a mint off it. My guess is it would have been around $18K at a dealer given the low Kms.

Where did you notice the rust? This one hasn't seen snow/salt yet and I want to get into all those bad spots with rust protection in the dead of summer (it creeps along the metal faster in the heat).

Last edited by PositiveG; 06-21-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:09 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Welcome to the fam. Nice looking X. You may want to hang on to that Leaper if you replace it. There are those of us who swear by our Leapers and they do sometimes grow those legs and disappear. When that happens we scramble to find another one. You could be a lifesaver for some distraught X Type owner who has been relieved of their precious Leaper.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:58 AM

Thank for the tip on the Leaper, so they are a "hot" item, pardon the pun! ;-)

Old 06-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It also appears to have a very small oil pan gasket leak (are they known for that

Seems to be a common problem on x-type. It was certainly the first thing i had to get done. I couldn't get a roadworthy without it.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:05 PM

Congrates on the "Catquisition." The oil pan gasket leak is common. Has to do with dissimilar metals expanding and contracting at differnet rates. Some say the leak is so minor, let'em leak. Even if you replace the gasket it evenually returns. The problem is it's a real bear to to remove the pan. You may have to lift the engine to get to it above the cross members...hence the 6-hour job. I wonder if a good washing and some self-vulcanizing sealant like you use on head gaskets would stop it enough to pass the inpections?

Old 06-26-2009, 08:32 PM

The leak won't fail a safety inspection here, luckily.

Interesting to hear that it will just return, more fuel for the fire. Anyhow I think I'll cancel the 6 hour labour/parts appointment I had with the *********** to do it!!

Seeing how it just comes back, no bother, the leak is so small (mechanic estimate 250ml per 5000Kms of driving).

I may have some bad news to share with this car, have to hold my breath that things work out by tomorrow. I'll probably have a very long thread that hopefully will hit the google seach engines to save others what I've just gone through.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

yeah, my dads a good busines man, they wanted 16k for it, and it was my first cr and he got it down to 12k, the dealership owner told him they made no money, and the funny part is it used to be my freinds, she traded it in for a crv or something. And the dealership looked after all the problems, witht he fuel and everything else. The rust is ttricky on this car, i washed it today, and iffound more rust, common on my car is the wheel wels, and outside of the quarter panels, i found on on the rear and where ur rear license plate is, just becuase the plate scratch the paint. I'm workingon getting everything fixed.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:28 PM

My car's problems notwithstanding, we do love our '03 Jag 3.0...same ebony as the one you've purchased. For what it's worth, we swap all-seasons with winter tires each year (live in Michigan and get a lot of snow). With winter tires, the Jag is better in the snow than my 4WD Jeep; handles beautifully. I very much recommend dedicated winter tires.
We replaced three leapers before we went with a growler badge. Ours a dark green field with the jaguar head and 3.0L on it. Looks great, and won't go back to a leaper.
Enjoy your new Jag!

Old 06-27-2009, 06:59 AM

Disco, open the passenger and driver front doors, with your hand follow the metal rocker panel until it goes flat with the bottom of the A pillar, gently clean any dirt off the paint with a rag. Then using your finger tips, feel around the bottom of the A piller in around a 4-6" area. What do you feel?