X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Another X-Type?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 03:08 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Buying Another X-Type?

So I bought a 2005 x-type sportwagon last December and it's been a great car for me thus far. I am looking for another car just now and am drawn to getting another x-type. Am I nuts or what!

Here are the details: 2005 sedan with 58K miles on the clock, 3.0 automatic, black and tan color scheme, clean title and carfax report. Dealer is asking $8K. Looks clean and undamaged from photos and of course the dealer says it's immaculate! I am planning to see it later today for the first time.

I think I know what I am getting into since I already have an x-type, but I would like some advice on inspecting and test driving plus any general opinions on price etc

Dealer is also offering a 5 yr warranty. I have always stayed away from those but would like opinions from others.

Thanks,
Eric

Old 07-18-2014, 09:58 PM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Check NADA or KBB for prices in your area. My area shows price in line with your description (e.g. $7100 clean trade-in to $9300 retail).

If you love your '05 wagon - use same good sense you used when buying wagon. You being in Utah, I think underbody/rust/etc.. to look for.

Obvious advantage is that you already have one 2005 X Type in the garage, parts are mostly compatible and what you learn on one will likely apply to other.

Post pic if you decide to buy!!

The following users liked this post:
SaltyOne (07-18-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 11:22 PM
Default Follow Up

Saw and drove car tonight. No major red flags in my book (but I'm an amateur). No damage on the inside, couple of parking lot dings on the outside. No warning lights on. Nothing bad mechanical jumped out at me, engine idled and ran smooth, car drove smooth, tracked straight, had less drive line noise that my present x-type

Did see a very small oil drip on the ground after the car sitting for about 30 minutes after driving 30 minutes. Tires felt like they needed a balance job, fronts were 1/2 worn, rears looked almost new, willing to bet they haven't been balanced in a long time. No curb dings in wheels at all. Hood liner seemed to sag a bit.

Had only one key fob, which did work. Anyone know the costs for getting a new key and having it programmed?

Sleeping on it tonight, will decide afterwards. Leaning towards buying it, after all, you can't have too many Jaguars now, can you

Thanks for the input Panama, I'll be sure to add photos if I do buy it.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:16 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The insulation under the hood sagging is a common thing apparently.
mine has a small oil leak too, from the drain plug. Been that way since its first oil change.

Dealers have to do a basic maintenance /safety check up on the cars before they can resell them (at least in California) so you should be ok there.
They will skip what they can though, to keep their profit up in the vehicle.
Thats why the tires are worn so differently. They only replaced the two that didnt meet regulation.

That not healthy for the AWD system.
It sounds like it priced fair, for a car of good condition for its age.
However, if theyre asking top dollar then it should come with 2keys, the booklet and all four tires worn evenly at 80% or better.

You should ask for a reasonable discount based on the cost of a replacement key and tires; offer them $500 less than their asking, settle at $250 off if theyre stubborn.

It sounds like a good car.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:09 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

While a search of autotrader does show a wide spectrum of prices across the country and with the caveat that my searches were specifically for manual transmission-equipped vehicles, I can tell you that the asking price on your '05 prospect isn't that far north of what I paid, combined, for my '03 and my '04.5 (both purchased in the Houston area).

Both were essentially one owner vehicles, with the '04.5 actually even having the original window sticker and buyer's contract in the folder holding all of the manuals. The '03 was owned by the Harris County District Attorney for the bulk of its life and was briefly held by a second owner. Both needed headliner replacements but were otherwise in generally good shape. Neither is a 3.0 though...

I used my knowledge of class judging gleaned from dad's past position as President of the local Jaguar club combined with his S-Type having been a multiple winner in the Championship Concours division despite the fact he drove to all of the events and never trailered it. Neither dealership was a Jaguar dealership, which helped make my nit-picking come across as more authoritative. Oh, and I was paying cash.

If this one isn't on a Jaguar dealership, I would offer a few thousand under their asking price, not just $500 under. You have to figure they didn't give more than about $5K on the trade to the previous owner. My last one was listed around $7K and had come in the day before, had not even gone through full prep...I offered $3200 and they countered at $3500.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:09 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

If that oil leak is from the oil pan gasket that wouldn't be a cheap or easy fix from what I understand. It can't hurt to low ball them at least a grand and see what they say. Keys can be programmed yourself, you can find instructions on here, its pretty easy.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:24 AM

Hi and thanks to everyone for the advice and information. I decided to buy the car. The dealer came down a bit on price but not much. He also agreed to supply a new, programmed key.

Brought the car home tonight, drives real nice except for the tire balance that I mentioned before. Slight wobble in wheel between 65 and 70. I will start changing fluids and filters tomorrow.

I'll get some photos in the next few days and post them.

Thanks,
Eric

Old 07-20-2014, 03:27 AM

BTW, now my wife and I get to squabble over which Jag is hers and which is mine, :-))

Old 07-20-2014, 04:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

Great buy !! I'm on my second X , had one manual & my current one is Auto ( 2.5 Fast enough for UK ) Just check the sills for rust & water in the boot ( trunk ) . I also had a sagging under bonnet ( hood ) sound proofing . It was an old mouse nest , I cut it out with sicsors , as a nice square hole !!

Old 07-20-2014, 09:19 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SaltyOne
BTW, now my wife and I get to squabble over which Jag is hers and which is mine, :-))
why squabble? the answer is obvious; they're both hers. haha

make sure you measure the tire wear difference between the front and back.
theres only a small tolerance of when you can replace two and not all four.
not following procedure can damage the awd system.

The following users liked this post:
SaltyOne (07-21-2014)