Sponsored by:

A/C compressor not coming on after freezing weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts
Default A/C compressor not coming on after freezing weather

hey guys!

i usually have my a/c going all the time, winter and summer because it helps me breathe better. Last two days there has been a hard freeze and I did turn the heater on , but now it’s back in the 30’s and I tried to turn the a/c on and the compressor is not engaging. It’s a new 5 month old OEM compressor and everything was working great until 2 days ago...maybe a frozen sensor? Any help

Old 01-17-2018, 02:31 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

Yes I heard about the latest cold weather snap ( family in Katy ).

Have you tried turning it on once the engine has warmed up?

It could be that the temp sensors around the EVAP core housing are reading ambient temp is below freezing and will inhibit A/C operation to prevent the core from freezing.

Might try to wait till the inside of the car warms up a bit and see what happens....

Do you have a way to scan codes just to check?

Old 01-17-2018, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Do you mean that when you push the A/C button the light on it does not go on or do you mean that the light does go on like it is working, but you can't hear the compressor kicking on? If it is the latter, I am guessing everything is just fine. Wait until it warms up there again and I bet it works just fine.

I just left my AC on all the time, winter and summer. In winter it would help take the moisture out of the air so the windows don't fog up.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Do you mean that when you push the A/C button the light on it does not go on or do you mean that the light does go on like it is working, but you can't hear the compressor kicking on? If it is the latter, I am guessing everything is just fine. Wait until it warms up there again and I bet it works just fine.

I just left my AC on all the time, winter and summer. In winter it would help take the moisture out of the air so the windows don't fog up.
Thanks everyone for your replies. The display button comes on, but even turning it all the way to low, the compressor won’t kick in and the air won’t come out freezing. Everything was fine before the cold snap.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:40 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

Yep, its probably because of the ambient weather, and the car knows, so it wont allow the A/C to work on low setting.

You can still try to allow the vehicle to warm up inside a bit, and put the temp up a bit, but you may have to wait till the cold snap to finish and warms up a bit.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:28 PM
Received 109 Likes on 92 Posts

Most A/C compressors won't engage when the ambients is below 35F. Put the car in recirc, hi blower and max heat to see if you A/C will come on. You need to get the interior warm/hot before it would come on.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bob_S
Most A/C compressors won't engage when the ambients is below 35F. Put the car in recirc, hi blower and max heat to see if you A/C will come on. You need to get the interior warm/hot before it would come on.
Thanks guys- the compressor kicked on once the ambient temp reached 38.Thanks for all your help. I was worried something was wrong.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts

And also check that little grill just to the right of the steering wheel that has the interior temp sensor. If you put your ear in it, turn on jey, you will hear a little whirling noise if it's working. I seen it posted a while ago (people were wondering what the sound was). I had never heard it. Checked and no sound. CAREFULLY removed the grill and blew it out with computer compressed air and VOILA! Works now and during the summer the air conditioning worked better.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts

I forgot to mention, when I blew it out, it was like a cat fur ball came out! Never had been cleaned I think.