X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C and Cooling Fans Vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C and Cooling Fans Vibration?

Ok, so I haven't owned my X-type long, but it has been getting warmer here and the fans have been running more. Do the fans on these cars vibrate a lot? No report of any front end collisions. When both fans are running you can definitely feel a lot of vibration coming through the steering wheel and hear it too. Not a huge deal, just wanted to see if this is standard. It looks like the fans connect to the radiator and I can push and pull everything front to back by about a quarter inch. Are there radiator rubber bushings/supports that need replaced? Thanks for the help

Old 04-20-2017, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

There are 2 lugs on the left and right sides of the cooling fan shroud for mounting to the radiator. There should be no play unless they are not properly installed or damaged from previous work.
There are 2 isolator rubber mounts on the top and bottom corners of the radiator.
I would also visually check for damaged blades on the fans. That would cause vibration.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:51 PM

I was able to check the blades and the "slide" mounts from the shroud to the radiator. Everything looked good. I'll have to look for the other mounts

Old 04-20-2017, 03:00 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

The vibration you're seeing could be a worn bushing on one of the electric fans. I found one recently when I had to replace the radiator in my '04. Replaced the fan with a used one from local forum member motorcarman. Sure sounded nice when I got it all back together. Radiator comes out through bottom of car, but I'm not sure you can take the fan shroud assembly out the top by itself. Maybe someone else will advise.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cement-174689/

Last edited by swingwing; 04-20-2017 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Added link.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:19 PM

Are you talking about bushing holding the fan on or bearings spinning the fan? It looks like aftermarket the whole assembly is between $140 and $240. That's not terrible.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:23 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Bearings that the fan shaft spins on. The shaft on one of my fan motors was very loose. I attempted taking the motor apart but the fan was seized on the shaft. I lucked out with motorcarman who had a replacement motor and fan. Easy swap out. I suppose there's other options but this fix worked well for me.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:47 AM

Resolved. Bad bearings on the AC fan. Replaced entire unit.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:33 PM

Hey Jayson Massey, Nice you got it fixed. Did you pull the rad fan assembly out the top?

Thanks much.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jag3.0
Hey Jayson Massey, Nice you got it fixed. Did you pull the rad fan assembly out the top?

Thanks much.
Nope I pulled it from the bottom. It's actually a pretty easy job. I disconnected my top radiator hoses as I was installing new ones anyway. Pulled the bottom plastic cover and wrapped bungee cords around the radiator and top brace, disconnected all of the fan wiring, dropped the bottom radiator brace and then pulled the fan out. It's a tight squeeze, but take your time and you shouldn't bang up the radiator. Put the control box on the new fan and install.