X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car weaves back and forth on icy roads

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default car weaves back and forth on icy roads

I have a 2005 x type. 100k on it. Alignment about a year ago. Tires about a year ago. No funny wear on tires. As you drive down the road in icy conditions the car seems to vear as you go over ice and road. Any ideas as to what would cause this? Its scary. kinda feels like the car is gonna skid out or drift at random. I have driven rear wheel drive cars my whole life and this thing scares me. Just rotated the tires and nothing was wore funny they all looked good. Could it be toe or caster or camber? It was not like this last year. Usually good in snow and ice conditions. Any help or thoughts would great?

Old 12-09-2013, 04:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a vw Passat Quattro. It had similar characteristics on icy rutted roads think it
can be inherent with awd sometimes. My X-type is new to me, had a month currently in the shop but fear it may have similar characteristics on very icy rutted roads???

Old 12-09-2013, 05:14 PM
Default Alignment...

Mine was scary when I first bought it. A 4-wheel alignment got rid of that feeling. Might be worn bushings on the rear control arms, as this would allow the alignment angles to shift while driving. Those would be the first things I would check. Good luck!

Old 12-09-2013, 05:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jag
I have a 2005 x type. 100k on it. Alignment about a year ago. Tires about a year ago. No funny wear on tires. As you drive down the road in icy conditions the car seems to vear as you go over ice and road. Any ideas as to what would cause this? Its scary. kinda feels like the car is gonna skid out or drift at random. I have driven rear wheel drive cars my whole life and this thing scares me. Just rotated the tires and nothing was wore funny they all looked good. Could it be toe or caster or camber? It was not like this last year. Usually good in snow and ice conditions. Any help or thoughts would great?
I had this problem too, the back end of my car would be sliding all over with the slightest slick roads, if your back tires are slanting in then you may want to check your lower control arms. I replaced mine and it's like brand new in the snow and it corrected my slant my tired were at like -4degeees now are straight.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

Two things I'd check. I've had both happen to me at different times.

Make double sure all the tires are the same size. I had a tire shop put on 4 new tires once and they got one a different size and you'd be surprised how hard that was to drive. I actually got out of the car about 6 blocks from the shop and looked at them to see what was wrong. That's when I found their error.

Next thing, a dragging brake caliper. I had one of those smooth turn me all the way around on ice once. Couldn't tell it until the road got icy. Just a little more drag on one caliper will do it.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:44 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

If the Icy Road has ruts on it it doesn't matter what type of vehicle you have, the tires will follow the ruts. Deeper ruts will effect studded tires or tires with chains. I have seen Dozers, M60, and M1 tanks slide on ice.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:46 AM

Wow thanks everyone!!! I think I will check the lower control arms, replace if necessary. Then a 4 wheel alignment. I put the tires on so I know they are the right size but thanks for the suggestion!! I will also check the breaks to see if one or both may be hanging up. This is the 3rd x type I have had or done major work on so I hope I can figure it out. Thanks for all the suggestions!!! Also if anyone needs help or advice about transmissions or removal as I have done 2 now. A automatic and manual!!

Old 02-07-2019, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jag
Wow thanks everyone!!! I think I will check the lower control arms, replace if necessary. Then a 4 wheel alignment. I put the tires on so I know they are the right size but thanks for the suggestion!! I will also check the breaks to see if one or both may be hanging up. This is the 3rd x type I have had or done major work on so I hope I can figure it out. Thanks for all the suggestions!!! Also if anyone needs help or advice about transmissions or removal as I have done 2 now. A automatic and manual!!
Did you ever get this problem sorted out?
Mine has the same issue.
No one will drive the car as it feels so scary.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have same issue, just ordered a pair of lower control arms, will post if this fixes the very poor snow/ice performance. Note that I checked the lower control arms and they are 'shot'

Old 02-28-2019, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carlstev
I have same issue, just ordered a pair of lower control arms, will post if this fixes the very poor snow/ice performance. Note that I checked the lower control arms and they are 'shot'
Rear lower control arm bushings are a known issue on these cars.
Very easy to change but ensure the weight of the car is on the ground before torqueing up the mounting bolts otherwise they will be flexed and wear out prematurely.
My x-type is parked till I find a solution to the drifting rear end.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:15 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

For those with a drifting rear end, take the car out when the roads are dry and try this: find a long sweeping corner (more than a 90 degree turn, thing cloverleaf onramp). As you are going through the corner, step on the gas like you were going to pass someone in the middle of the curve. Note what the back end of the car feels like. Is it solid or did it feel like the rear end was going to step out on you and come around (it won't, but it will feel it). If you have the stepping out problem, you most likely have bad lower/forward control arms and your rear wheels are able to move a little bit side to side, causing the rear end of the car to not track with the front. Replace the lower/forward arms and then see what you have. You will need a 4 wheel alignment when you are done.