Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catastrophic oil loss/engine destroyed

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Catastrophic oil loss/engine destroyed

Hey all

I guess my title says it all, but I've got some possibilities and I'll need help.

Shop wants me to throw the car away. It's leaving that shop asap. I got a good friend that is an expert at 2.3L Ford cars and we've rebuilt an engine together. He has a lift and all the tools (with the exception of any Jaguar specific tools) necessary to do just about anything.

Here are some facts about the car just so you all know.

2004 X-Type Sport 3.0 automatic (loaded minus navigation)
142,000 miles
VERY little repair ever needed on this car... brakes, suspension, a half-shaft. Original trans, exhaust, all engine accessories, hoses etc.

We're thinking engine replacement here and there are several possibilities we're exploring.

1. Find a used AJ30 engine and swap.
2. Find a Duratec 3.0L block and swap back the Jaguar specifics, obviously replacing any of those that have been damaged along the way.
3. Evaluating the condition of the engine in there and determining if it's worth rebuilding. Shop said there is damage at the upper and lower end based on the noises it's making.

Shop also said that based on the age of the trans and exhaust that it's a losing proposition. Also said the rear dif is leaking.

Questions I have for all of you:

1. How painfully complicated has Jaguar made swapping an engine in this car?
2. Can the engine come out of the bottom of the car?
3. Has anyone used a standard aluminum Duratec 3.0L block and reassembled successfully?
4. I've driven this car very nicely (meaning I'm not hard on it at all) and the transmission has not given me any reason to think it's beginning to fail. The Sport button for the transmission mode hasn't done anything in a while, but that's all an electronic issue as far as I'm concerned. My question... What is the general life expectancy of the automatic transmission in these cars? Does it start showing signs of failure when they DO fail (weird or hard shifting etc.) or do they tend to just not work one day?
5. Is it difficult to relube and reseal the rear dif? If there a way to check the level of the fluid without cracking the thing open? Does the rear dif give any warning signs (humming etc.) when it's beginning to fail?
6. What other things might I be in for if we decide to tackle this job?

This has been one hell of a great car. It has continued to drive and ride beautifully and I personally am in a state of shock that it may never see the road again. Aside from some rust on the hood, it is rust-free and impeccably maintained inside and out. I love my car. I have owned it from day one and if there is any reasonable saving of a wonderful car that is technically only worth $6K (says Kelley Blue Book), I feel I need to.

Honesty is needed here, though. If it's not going to be worth it I need to know this and make appropriate decisions.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Old 10-16-2012, 01:17 PM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Ouch!

I was expecting some issues from the reference in your Intro but nothing this bad.

Your 'Possibility 3' has to be the place to start.

3. Evaluating the condition of the engine in there and determining if it's worth rebuilding. Shop said there is damage at the upper and lower end based on the noises it's making.
You need to know exactly what the issues are before you can make an informed decision on whether to rebuild or replace.

Graham

Old 10-16-2012, 01:24 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

lauwrsp, there have been members here that have done the engine swap in their garage. So, if you have access to a lift, things will be much easier for you. As for pulling the engine, I would say it is not any more difficult than any other FWD car other than having to also pull the rear driveshaft. And yes, the motor comes out the bottom of the car. NOt possible to pull the motor out the top of the engine bay that I am aware of.

When it comes to the tranny, unless it is failing like you are describing, I would call the tranny good. You say that it isn't making any noises or shifting funny, so, it should be good (personally sounding like the shop was either trying to get as much money as they could from you or simply didn't want to deal with the car and was finding as much as they could wrong with he car to make you give up).

Yes, you can use a Duratec 3.0L motor (a few members have gone that route). The tranny/transfer case bolt right up and they didn't both with trying to convert back to Jaguar setup. They put the motor in just as it would be in a Ford. All the parts plug right in. THe only thing you may need to transfer over is the cats and the intake since they are specific to the Jag. But then, atleast 1 of the members tossed out the Jaguar cat setup and went with more of a typical ford setup.

As for the rear diff, where is it leaking from? If it is coming from the front seal (where the driveshaft enters, that is a pretty straight forward job, but you will need a new crush sleeve along with a new seal. If it is coming out from the back plate, that can be a bit more difficult since part of the rear suspension is in the way and not sure how easy the plate would be to pull off. So, this could possibly mean dropping the rear diff out of the car to get access enough to pop the rear cover off.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:49 PM

So... of course we're going to start with what number 3 sounded like... assessment. Number 3 was more meant to read... Rebuild existing motor. Which is our least favorite so far.

Chris. LOTS of helpful information there that's making me feel a bit better. I'm not sure where the rear dif leak is yet... I personally need to get under the car, but I WILL let you know.

In fact, I'll be keeping this post up to date with information as I get it and with plenty of questions as I move forward.

Thank you very much for your help.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:10 AM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I see the engines on ebay and other sites from time to time. I'd explore that route before trying to fix an engine that lost all of it's oil. There simply is too much damage to modern engines when that occurs.

I believe the Lincoln LS 3.0 is the very same engine, with different accessories and manifold.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lauwersp
Hey all

I guess my title says it all, but I've got some possibilities and I'll need help.

Shop wants me to throw the car away. It's leaving that shop asap. I got a good friend that is an expert at 2.3L Ford cars and we've rebuilt an engine together. He has a lift and all the tools (with the exception of any Jaguar specific tools) necessary to do just about anything.

Here are some facts about the car just so you all know.

2004 X-Type Sport 3.0 automatic (loaded minus navigation)
142,000 miles
VERY little repair ever needed on this car... brakes, suspension, a half-shaft. Original trans, exhaust, all engine accessories, hoses etc.

We're thinking engine replacement here and there are several possibilities we're exploring.

1. Find a used AJ30 engine and swap.
2. Find a Duratec 3.0L block and swap back the Jaguar specifics, obviously replacing any of those that have been damaged along the way.

Shop also said that based on the age of the trans and exhaust that it's a losing proposition. Also said the rear dif is leaking.

Questions I have for all of you:

1. How painfully complicated has Jaguar made swapping an engine in this car?
2. Can the engine come out of the bottom of the car?
3. Has anyone used a standard aluminum Duratec 3.0L block and reassembled successfully?
4. I've driven this car very nicely (meaning I'm not hard on it at all) and the transmission has not given me any reason to think it's beginning to fail. The Sport button for the transmission mode hasn't done anything in a while, but that's all an electronic issue as far as I'm concerned. My question... What is the general life expectancy of the automatic transmission in these cars? Does it start showing signs of failure when they DO fail (weird or hard shifting etc.) or do they tend to just not work one day?
5. Is it difficult to relube and reseal the rear dif? If there a way to check the level of the fluid without cracking the thing open? Does the rear dif give any warning signs (humming etc.) when it's beginning to fail?
6. What other things might I be in for if we decide to tackle this job?

This has been one hell of a great car. It has continued to drive and ride beautifully and I personally am in a state of shock that it may never see the road again. Aside from some rust on the hood, it is rust-free and impeccably maintained inside and out. I love my car. I have owned it from day one and if there is any reasonable saving of a wonderful car that is technically only worth $6K (says Kelley Blue Book), I feel I need to.

Honesty is needed here, though. If it's not going to be worth it I need to know this and make appropriate decisions.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Nationwide Auto Recyling has 3 2004 3.0's on their website all for $1295.92 with a 1 year parts warranty. Their mileage numbers are 64000, 55000 and 64000.
I've dealt with them on other parts with good results at reasonable prices. You might want to check their website at: nationwideautorecyling.com

Old 10-19-2012, 06:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 10-19-2012, 08:47 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Thermo, it can go out the top , but it is way easier to drop everything out the bottom on the subframe suspension and all. Disc, rear propshaft, steering column from rack, and all misc hoses and wiring. Make sure to tie the car to the lift in front so it doesnt flip off backward as you lift the car away from the front subframe and engine assembly. The reason they said to toss the car is because the $$ to repair for a shop vs value is pretty damn close if not over retail value. It can always be done cheaper but i see and have bought 02,03,04 x's for $1500 needing minor repairs, not not major. Its not hard to drop 2-3k on minor repairs,misc crap and maintenance on a x.
Start soaking the bolts with penatrant now since your in lovely Michigan

Old 10-19-2012, 10:26 AM

So I tried to ask yesterday but apparently it didn't post properly... Would an S-Type 3.0 engine and trans from an 01 02 03 S-type be a proper donor? There's nothing wrong with my trans but this one comes with both. My X-Type is an 04.

Thanks.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:41 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>S-Type 3.0 engine and trans from an 01 02 03 S-type be a proper donor?

Not likely, the S-Type is longitudinal but the X-Type is transverse.

The engine alone would be fine for a swap and so would an engine from a Lincoln LS.
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 10-19-2012, 01:45 PM

So it appears as though a Lincoln LS engine needs the cam swap. How about the S-Type engine?

Old 10-22-2012, 09:43 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>So it appears as though a Lincoln LS engine needs the cam swap.

Not according to: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ype-jag-34228/

That says: "all four Camshafts on the Lincoln engine had same part #'s Stamped on it as my Jaguar engine."

================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons