X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light Won't Reset

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 12:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help, Check Engine Light Won't Reset

I just finished a lot of work on my car and went to a parts place to get them to reset the check engine light. The guy said he couldn't because a fuse was blown. I searched the index for 2003 2.5 X Type and couldn't find a blown fuse that matched. At the same time the cruise control stopped working. I'm assuming the buttons on the steering wheel are worn because it comes on at the dash but now I'm wondering if its connected. Is there a fuse that would keep the check engine light from resetting when car runs perfectly?

Last edited by Gregp; 12-29-2014 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Need to have question
Old 12-29-2014, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Do you know what the code number is? Knowing that will help someone here diagnose what the issue might be.

Was the check engine light on before you did work on it or happen after?

If the work you did was related to a check engine light you already had if the condition is no longer there the light will go off after a few drive cycles. If the condition is still there it will not go off.

What fuse were you looking to replace?

Need more specific information on your condition before someone can help.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

There will be code(s). Read and fix fault(s). MIL can't go off till then.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:55 PM
Default Follow Up/ please advise cruise control

Well, after searching through the fuses I went back to the parts store. Manager said guy I met was new, he attached reader without problem and cleared the codes (I had done significant work to fix problems). At any rate, all clear.
The only problem now is the cruise control. It reads that it's on but doesn't work. I took the air intake off to change lower intake ( it was cracked) and laid the throttle body on its side, could I have hurt the mechanism or is my best bet in the steering wheel...or some other place?

One thing about this car, there is always something interesting to fix.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:11 PM

I have a 2003 x type 2.5 w/90,000 miles. I had previously had the cruise not available problem in cold weather because the crack allowed in extra air, esp when cold. But, when the car warmed the cruise worked. The problem had been there for a while, previous owner sold because after spending 2k the problem was still there. So maybe it did wear out the switch but would like to know of a way to know for sure.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Are you saying now you have no check engine light on and no "Cruise Not Available" message in the message center when you try and activate the cruise control? When you try and activate the cruise control nothing happens at all either good or bad-like the switch itself is dead? And the car is running perfectly fine right now?

Do you know what codes you had before and what work have you recently done?

Can't say that I ever remember anyone complaining that their steering wheel control for the cruise control went bad. Not saying it can't happen, of course, just that it isn't something that is discussed on here every day. Now, bad wheel speed sensors and cruise not available, that's a different story.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:34 PM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregp
The only problem now is the cruise control. It reads that it's on but doesn't work. I took the air intake off to change lower intake ( it was cracked) and laid the throttle body on its side, could I have hurt the mechanism or is my best bet in the steering wheel...or some other place?

One thing about this car, there is always something interesting to fix.
If the normal 'fly by wire' throttle control is working properly, then there is no problem within the throttle body that would prevent cruise control from working.

If you are able to turn the cruise control on and off with the steering wheel controls, then the wiring between the speed control switches and the ECM is fine (all speed control commands are effectively provided over the same two wires). If you can't set a speed, the problem could be with the 'set' button or perhaps with the brake or clutch cancel switches. Also, you cannot set cruise control to a speed less than 25 MPH.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:47 PM
Default Follow Up Again, How do you replace cruise switch

Thanks everyone. The car is running perfect and the cruise control switch will turn the cruise on, it just doesn't set so it must be the switch. (Thanks for helping me realize that). The switch is cheap enough on Ebay but I've never opened up one of these steering wheels. Is there a trick? I just don't want to hurt anything.