X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 01:37 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Coolant Change

Changed the coolant today. Only about 5 qts drained out maybe because the front end was only raised on ramps. I think I'll drive it for a few days then drain it again and raise the rear also so it's level. Maybethis will allow more to drain.
Somewhere I thought I read in a post about draining the cooling system that the shield under the radiator had to be removed but on mine there is a retangular hole under the drain that allows fluid to pass. Ofcourse a little did catch and spread along the shield but this happens on many cars an is no real problem. It would be nice if Jag would have used a better drain plug instead of the slotted plug.It does make the job a little messy.
I used 2 pair of needle nosed vise-grips to clamp off the heater hoses to do the burping and they worked ok.

Bob N

Old 10-31-2008, 05:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Coolant Change

Cool, nice job

Old 10-31-2008, 09:52 AM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

DITTO Racer..Nice Job Bob..

I did mine also andI figure the remaining amount is in the block..So like you, I ran it for a few days, then drained it again...Recently had the water pump replaced (Warranty) and they had to use about a gallon of fresh stuff too..So I should be pretty clean as far as new Coolant..I hope you used Distilled water in your mix..I took a gallon to the dealer when they did my pump..and they were more than happy to mix the concentrate with the Distilled water I gave them..otherwise they told me they just use tap water...arrrrgg!

Old 11-16-2008, 11:48 PM

Well I did my second coolant change today since I only got about 5 quarts of the old out the first time. This time I raised the rear of the car too leveling it. I would estimate about 6 or so quarts drained. I ran the engine also while it was draining at the beginning. So I guess I got all but a quart and a half or so this time.
Also I made a drain extention so the next time there won't be coolant where you don't want it, mainly all over the hands etc. I used a nylon plumbing threaded 1/4" x 1/8" barb fitting to screw in place of the original plug. Then I used a piece of 1/2" OD x 3/8" ID vynil tubing and at the end of this a brass winged drain plug. To protect this I afixed a pieced of metal to the plastic shield under the radiator drain.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Once again, nice job!

Old 11-17-2008, 09:03 AM

I guess I should mention that the threads on the barbed piece are US but very close to the 1.0 metric of the original drain plug. I guess because the nylon is flexible I was able to hand thread it into the drain hole after fastening the vynil hose on it with a screw clamp. I used some All Seal sealant on the barb since it is smaller than the inside diameter of the tubing I also used a clamp on the other end to secure the new drain plug. Oh, I put some sealant on the threads of the barbed piece too. I was able to use a short 5/8 open end wrench to further tighten the barbed piece inplace but I didn't go too much farther than the hand tightening because I didn't want to risk damaging the plastic radiator connection.