X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disabling x-type auto lock feature FAQ

Old 08-27-2015, 12:48 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If anyone has this problem, here is a solution: I suddenly discovered that my autolock feature was not working on the driver's door only. The other three doors locked fine. Then I discovered that the door lock on the fob was also not locking the driver's door, just the rest of the car. And it was impossible to lock the driver's door manually. If I locked it inside before I opened the door, it unlocked when I opened it. I could not lock it manually with the door open. And I could not get the key to lock it with the door closed. So I did the "remove auto lock" procedure (which worked fine) and then did the procedure again to re-engage the autolock. And now everything is back to normal.

I have no idea why this happened since there has been no work done on the car and no interruption of the battery. I only noticed it when suddenly I would exit the car and still couldn't open the back door. I couldn't figure out why. I heard the autolock come on but I never noticed the driver's door wasn't locked. And I had no idea it was not locking when I exited the car and hit the lock on the key fob.

Hope this might help someone some day.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On 2003 XJR, "auto lock all doors" button is on Dash. There is no "auto lock all" button on door handle. Also, "auto lock all doors" dash button does NOT HAVE Power when key is in "0" position (ignition OFF). What am I missing here???

Old 09-02-2015, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

What you are missing is this is the X-Type forum, not the XJ forum. Two totally different cars.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry for the inconvenience. I must have not clicked the correct forum. Any advice on the original question to the incorrect forum??? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Sorry, I cannot personally help you as I am not familiar at all with the XJ, but if you post in the XJ forum I'm sure someone will chime in to help. Or maybe do an advanced search in the XJ form pertinent to your car and you will come up with an old post that will help.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:03 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

in response to jfenley's procedure -it worked! I've always hated that auto-lock feature. If I lived in the city, I could see a need for it, but I live in the middle of Appalachia, where no one ever hi-jacks or steals cars. I had to try it 3 times before I was able to do it fast enough to work. It was not a "beep", but a chirp from the horn. Thanks so much.

Tim

Old 03-04-2016, 05:55 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks for posting that procedure Jfenly, it worked to turn off the auto lock. My problem was that my locks repeatedly lock about 6 times when I take off. Super annoying to hear those actuators bang six times or more. I imagine if the ECU doesn't get confirmation that the locks engaged, it tries again, and again, and again. Lol.

Glad that's over!

Old 12-27-2017, 05:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 05-11-2018, 09:39 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This morning I got in a conversation with a neighbour who was parked in front of my x-type and neither of us liked the automatic door lock that both of our cars come with. We were discussing how unsafe that can be in certain situations and how it leads to extra wear and tear that's completely unnecessary in most cases anyway. Both of us also agreed that the sound of the doors locking the moment you drive off can be a very unsympathetic gesture to unsuspecting passengers because of the reminiscence of tacky gangster movie scenes. As we were joking about that, he mentioned that at least he knew how to turn it off on his car (which is a ford of about the same age as my x-type) and we decided to try if the same would work on the x-type... and it did!

I thought to share the method here but, of course, I found out that the information isn't new to this site. The method described in this thread is the exact same way. In retrospect I simply should have searched this site a bit more thoroughly, but this way I got to know a neighbour a bit better and at least we had some fun trying this without knowing if it'd work.

The wear and tear issue was one thing I hadn't thought of before, but that alone would have been a good reason to find out how to disable this feature. I also wouldn't want to lock out the people who come to our aid in the unfortunate case when I and my passenger(s) are unconscious after an accident. It could be a waste of their effort to come swimming over or diving all the way to the bottom of a canal. In case of fire, risk of explosion, or.other dangerous situations I wouldn't want them to have to spend more time in the midst of it either. It's pesky anyway when the doors lock even if you only move the car a few meters or when you're not going far anyway. I don't mind having to decide to lock the doors myself in situations when I think that it's necessary.

Last edited by 3bd2lr7mn; 05-11-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Quote from Jaguar =

In the event of an accident, an inertia switch will trip, isolating
ignition controlled circuits, including fuel pump operation.
Simultaneously, the doors will automatically unlock. Once the
switch has tripped it must be reset before attempting to restart
the engine.
Note: The doors will not unlock if the inertia switch is tripped
when the ignition switch is in position acc.

So being "trapped" in a crash would be minimal, imo.

The following users liked this post:
3bd2lr7mn (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 07:24 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Even though they've attempted to minimise the risk, it's still possible and not unlikely to occur under some conditions, and that risk is an unnecessary one. I choose to not consciously run that risk because I fail to see much value in the habit of locking up under all circumstances anyway. But that in itself is just one of several reasons for disabling the feature. It's simply impractical in many cases and too much of a bother to me. My wife also says it makes her feel claustrophobic, which is something that probably many can relate to. At moments when I would choose to lock the doors, I apologise to passengers and inform them why I'm locking the doors. I just prefer it that way. Maybe it's also about me being stubborn, but I also think that "the computer says so" and "that's just the way it works" aren't valid excuses to lock people in or out. There's always still the option of choosing to do it yourself in situations that call for it. I don't need the car to make that decision for me.

But I value the addition you made. That's good information to show next to my opinion about it.

Last edited by 3bd2lr7mn; 05-11-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member

Not to belabor this differing of opinion, but there is an actual reason the doors lock automatically on most cars.

Besides the law enforcement community suggestions of it for safety reasons of not having the child lock-out enabled and the consequences of that or of keeping unwanted persons from surprised opening your doors where incidents of forcible confinement — where a person enters the vehicle while you're stopped or driving slowly in traffic and takes over. This is the bigger reason =

In a car crash, the doors need to stay closed because they absorb the impact, keep you from being thrown out, and help keep the roof from crumpling like a soda, police say.

"If the vehicle does roll over, the lock is a secondary means to ensure that the door stays closed." And, even if you're driving with unlocked doors, you could still be trapped in a crash anyway. "When there's an impact, a lot of time the doors are pushed in and don't open," say police. "Whether they were locked or unlocked, the impact damaged the door and made it jam anyway."

Rescue workers will have to get you out — or you'll have to break out yourself.

How would a door open in a crash, you ask?

The one weak link is the door handle and the rods that it connects to. If your car is moving very fast at the time of a crash, the inertia can move that handle or the rods it attaches to in the door, and that can unlatch the door -- as if you'd pulled the handle. But if a door is locked, the handle becomes inoperative. You can pull on it or push on it, but it's detached from the rods that activate the latch, and the door won't open. That's why it's recommended that you keep your doors locked when you're driving. And why many cars automatically lock the doors when you start driving.

Old 05-13-2018, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member

Sadly, many years ago in my family this exact result ended with a family members death. Everyone in the car whose doors were manually locked (& no seatbelts!) survived a rollover accident except one whose door she always refused to lock. The accident was a "minor" rollover if you can call a rollover minor, but she (@ 15) was ejected and pinned under the car and was killed.