X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do seats have to come out to remove C Pillars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 01:28 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Do seats have to come out to remove C Pillars?

Do I have to take the back seats out to get to the screws to remove the C Pillars? I'm not sure where that screw is located and didn't want to pull out the back seats just to find out. lol My seats fold down and I read that there is a screw holding the C pillars in and if I try to pull them out they'll break unless I get to that screw. The A pillars pop out very simply, but I couldn't see where the screw is for the back C pillars.
Thanks

Old 05-27-2014, 03:02 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

If you've got the fold down seat, then it's only the seat base and the side cushions that have to come out.

In order to get the C-pillars out you need to remove the parcel shelf, and in order to get the parcel shelf out you need to remove the side cushions, and to get the side cushions out you need to remove the seat base. LOL

Have a look in the Premium Sound Retrofit thread I did, I listed the part numbers of the plastic clips that you WILL break when removing the seat base. The side cushions also use those same clips, but you don't notice if they are broken...

The following users liked this post:
4bizonly (05-28-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 10:24 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default A Little more info

To remove the C-pillars. You do not need to remove the rear seat. Now be very careful with what I'm going to say. I have completely removed my rear shelf to install after market 6.5 Subs. There are only (4) components: 1) Rear Parcel Shelf, 2) Seat Belt Cover, 3) C-Pillar and 4) Seat Side Bolster

1. Pull the rear back rest down using the latches in the trunk (since yours fold)

2. Use you finger and push the tab/latch that is under the seat side bolster. THis will be hard to find so you may need to use a flashlight and pull the side bolster up a little. The fastener is about 3" from the top, it is white about 3in long. The clip fits into it and releases when you push this lever. YOU CAN NOT release the bolster without pushing this lever toward the side of the car (on the Driver side...on the passenger side you must pull the lever - go figure). So pulling very hard will only break the holder or the bolster!

3. Once the Side Seat Bolster comes down, you will see the screw that holds the C-pillar in place. THere are (2) a 10mm bolt and a push in plastic tap. The push screw must be carefully pryed out. Use plastic pry tool or flat head.

With these two loose c-pillar can come out. Simply pull from the top where the C-pillar engages with the Roof panel that comes down. THere is a plastic clip that disengages simply pull (a little force) and the C-pillar will come out and it slides out at the bottom.

With the C-pillar removed you have access to run wires to the trunk. I did this to install my Rear View Camera and SAT radio Ant.

Good Luck

Last edited by thegraytribe; 06-04-2014 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Corrections
4bizonly (06-05-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 06:14 PM
Default Pics to add

I didn't see how to add Pics in the edit mode, so I am adding a new reply

Do seats have to come out to remove C Pillars?-img_20140604_115903_642.jpg
This pic shows the clip holding the Side Seat bolster down (Dr side). You must push the lever towards the door. Once the Bolster is released, you will see the (2) screws, one 10mm and one plastic that hold the C-Pillar and the SEat belt cover in place

Do seats have to come out to remove C Pillars?-img_20140604_115935_391.jpg
This is the Seat belt cover that sits on top of the parcel shelf. This will come out when the screws are removed. From hear you can actually get wires into the trunk

Hope this helps

4bizonly (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 12:50 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by thegraytribe
1. Pull the rear back rest down using the latches in the trunk (since yours fold)
Don't understand this. What is the "back rest"? Are you talking about the seat back or something else? Where are the latches located?

Pics?

Old 06-05-2014, 08:15 AM
Default Rear Seat Back Rest

If your rear seat folds down to expose the trunk so that you can put long items in your Jag the latches are in the trunk. There are two and you pull them to release the backrest (Top of the seat were the headrests are located).

Do seats have to come out to remove C Pillars?-img_20140604_195001_393.jpg
THis pic shows the back rest down looking into the trunk from inside the car. I don't have a picture of the pull latch in the trunk.

If your back seat rest is "fixed" then you will need to remove the bottom cushion and then remove the screws that mount the back rest to the frame to remove it.

Mr rx-7 tt (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 01:12 PM

Mine are fixed so how do you remove the bottom cushion?

Old 06-05-2014, 07:32 PM
Default Fixed Seats

Ok, since your rear seats are fixed you will need to remove the bottom cushion. To do that, you need to pull very hard on the (2) front corners of the bottom cushion. Start with the drivers side (open the rear driver door and stand over the bottom cushion putting your hands under the cushion close to the edge. Pull straight up (you may want to yank). It's not easy. There is a clip and white ring (like the one under the c-Pillar) THAT holds the seat down. Once you get that one, go to the passenger side.

Next push it up and then try to shake it loose from the back. You will need to get the seat belt latches out through the slits.

After you get the bottome cushion out you will see the bolts at the bottom that hold your back rest in place. remove them and push the back rest up to release it. THen follow the instructions above

The following 2 users liked this post by thegraytribe:
4bizonly (06-06-2014), Mr rx-7 tt (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by thegraytribe
Ok, since your rear seats are fixed you will need to remove the bottom cushion. To do that, you need to pull very hard on the (2) front corners of the bottom cushion. Start with the drivers side (open the rear driver door and stand over the bottom cushion putting your hands under the cushion close to the edge. Pull straight up (you may want to yank). It's not easy. There is a clip and white ring (like the one under the c-Pillar) THAT holds the seat down. Once you get that one, go to the passenger side.

Next push it up and then try to shake it loose from the back. You will need to get the seat belt latches out through the slits.

After you get the bottome cushion out you will see the bolts at the bottom that hold your back rest in place. remove them and push the back rest up to release it. THen follow the instructions above
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.