X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Side headlight not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver Side headlight not working

Does anyone know if there is a common fault on X-Type Jaguar's Driver Side Headlamp failing? The bulb is ok, the fuse is fine, anything else that it could be that's causing this?
2.5L Petrol 2003 model X-Type
Thanks
Campbell

Old 11-03-2015, 02:34 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Campbell: A few questions & suggestions to help us help you:

1) Does your X-Type have incandescent or HID bulbs?
2) Which bulb does not work in the driver's side headlamp: dip / low beam or main / high beam?
3) Do the bulbs work properly for the passenger side headlamp?
4) Did you confirm the bulb is ok by swapping the non-working bulb with a working bulb?
5) Were the electrical connectors and wires behind the bulbs in good shape, or melted.
6) Did you test the electrical connector at the back of the bulb for ~12 volts when the lights should be on (assuming incandescent bulbs)?
7) If the connector to the back of the bulb is not getting ~12 volts, which fuses did you test? Under the hood, or under the dash?
8) Did you test the fuses using a multimeter? The plastic top of each fuse has 2 small holes to touch with a multimeter probe. Both holes should test for ~12 volts when the circuit is energized.

Let us know. This info will help us figure out why the bad lamp isn't working.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:35 AM

Hi
I did a lot of this on my own its the headlight that's out not the main beam or side light. Passenger side is OK and there is no 12V at the bulb.
I have now put it in the garage as I stupidly managed to break the headlamp assembly by pushing it forward, that's another sorry.
I will send this list over to the mechanic as I don't think he may have checked the fuses in the car not under the bonnet.
Thanks for the reply
Campbell

Old 11-04-2015, 02:07 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Campbell: Your mechanic should check fuse F17 (20A) under the bonnet. It powers the headlight on the driver's / right hand side (also called the dip beam or low beam). The wiring diagram is below.

Since the passenger headlight works, then we know power is being supplied by relay R9 under the bonnet. It powers two fuses under the bonnet: fuse F16 (20A) to the working passenger headlight, and fuse F17 (20A), the suspect fuse to the non-working driver headlight.

If fuse F17 is good, but the connector behind the headlight bulb has 0 volts, then the Green White (GW) wire is likely damaged between the bonnet fuse box and the driver's headlamp.

It's a shame the headlight assembly broke, but unfortunately a common problem. The plastic tabs for aiming the bulb become brittle with age & heat. This forum has several threads discussing how to open and repair the assembly, and there are youtube videos and eBay replacement parts, because this is a common problem for our X-Types.

If it helps the mechanic, this thread has a pdf of the wiring diagram. Headlights are on pages 74-77 of the 2002-2003 electrical guide: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...4-25-a-152076/

Attached Thumbnails Driver Side headlight not working-jaguar-x-type-dip-beam.png  
Old 11-09-2015, 05:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem, the drivers headlight intermittently would not illuminate with the headlight switch in automatic position. If the headlight did not come on in "auto" mode I switched the switch to manual "on" and the light would illuminate. This only happened in automatic position. I ended up unplugging the connector and found some corrosion on the exciter side of the plug. I disassembled the non exciter side (male) plug and cleaned it. I replaced the exciter. I haven't had this problem in over a year now.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:57 AM

Hi,

Did you manage to get this resolved...I have a similar issue with the Left hand dip beam xenon.

Just wondering what you found the issue to be.

If it was the GW wire - did you have that repaired or was a new cable laid...and of course was it a costly fix.

Would appreciate any info you can share please.

thanks.