Electric Sepercharger for X-Type

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Electric Sepercharger for X-Type

Has anyone here tried this setup:

http://www.performancechiptuning.com...PSI+Vortex/10/

They say you can do it with or without a performance chip. I'm not sure I believe everything they're saying. Forcing more air into the engine will make little if any difference if it's not coupled with more fuel. This means you need a new chip to control the engine, something I'm more that a little worried about doing with my car. What do you guys think?

Mark

Old 01-28-2011, 11:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mark, I saw a product a few years back like this at a car show, during the demo at idle the car would stall out. There was no dyno and no way to tell how it ran at full throttle. Car was in not placed in gear The demo during the show ended up showing a glaring fault, more air without a matched maf sensor or (ecm chip)was causing problems with the fuel/air ratio and a poor demo to lots of interested "ez bolt on HP" on lookers. The guy running the demo claimed that it was the car he was using and added that it worked better on non fuel injected. Your looking at spending $200 on a hair dryer, a ez test would be to carry a hair dryer and place infront of your intake and see how you engine handles it. They make no claims as to the amout of CFM the fan produces, only that it spools (full power) 20k rpm.

I think I will ask around tomorrow at the DC auto show, they always have products like this every year

Old 01-29-2011, 07:53 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

MJ, save your money and put it towards something else. Sorry, reading the ad, I can see some things where they are twisting the numbers to make things look better than they are. For example, that small fan blade is going to generate 5 psi of boost. Sorry, it may generate 5 psi of boost with the car idling, but how much when the driver has his foot to the front bumper. I would give it 1 psi of boost. So, that in itself would net next to no additional power. Probably note a loss of power due to the electrical requirements placed on the car loading down the alternator.

I use this basic rule when it comes to products like this: If this was such a good product, then why haven't the automotive manufacturers incorporated this into their cars? Is it because the motors would generate too much power. Nope. It improves the efficiency of the motor. Nope. Make the car cheaper to build. Nope. Therefore, there is no need for something like that.

If you want a product like that, get yourself a gas powered leaf blower. That will have the guts to do what this product is trying to say it will do. Might look a little funny, but for the money spent to make it work, that would be cheap power.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks guys, it sounded too good to be true which is what made me suspicious in the first place.

Mark

Old 01-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Put aside for a second the fact this this is a piece of crap. If you look through the website there is NO phone number or address listed anywhere. All contact is via e-mail. Their customer service shows they are available "24/7" by e-mail. There is no mention of where they are located either, just that they ship from some nice warehouse. If you are disatisfied with it you are responsible to ship it back and have to pay a 25% restocking fee, which is $50. Would you really want to do business with a company like that?

There is no free lunch when it comes to free or cheap horsepower. Like Thermo said, if it was that simple car manufacturers would have embraced it a long time ago.

Their video is hilarious: showing that it can (barely) knock over a one foot tall 2x4. And it DOES sound like a hairdryer. Spend a few hundred dollars more and get some Borla mufflers.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Wow. This is epic on the "liar" scale. I like the 5 pack of ground wires they also sell for $60 that improve everything from your stereo to your acceleration. Who knew! Sheesh I bet the auto company engineers feel like real bewbs for not picking up on this before these people did!

Just think, some ground wires and what is essentially a built in air intake blockage can make some serious power! Just look what they quote for before and after:

Dyno's & Tests

Test Case 1

Dyno numbers are based on 5 PSI Supercharger with Voltage Performance Chip used in combination.

YEAR
VEHICLE
BASE HP
HP AFTER
BHP GAIN

'01 BMW M3

333 HP

379 HP

BHP GAIN 46

'94 VW JETTA VR6

180 HP

210 HP

BHP GAIN 30

'02 CADILLAC ESCALADE

255 HP

299 HP

BHP GAIN 36

'96 ACURA INTEGRA

142 HP

178 HP

BHP GAIN 36

and the list goes on.....

And I really like this part:

Can I wire the supercharger so its always on while the car is on?

No, you must never have the supercharger be on continuously for more than a few minutes or it will cause heat up and damage. This would void the warranty. It is designed to be on for short bursts. It would not take a vehicle more than 30 seconds to reach over 100 MPH, during this period the supercharger would be working when your vehicle is floored.

Heh?

Old 01-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member

I installed a new performance exhaust from Mina Gallery today; I like it very much.

Mark

Old 01-30-2011, 07:29 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Chris X, good find about that electric supercharger. That is rather comical. Kinda makes you wonder just how many other things are out there that we could get a big chuckle out of with these chuckleheads.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no way that an electric fan running off 12v will move enough air to a) overcome the vacuum created by induction in a N/A motor or b) create a positive pressure and yield additional power. Not while the sun rises in the east.

It is possible to add more air into the motor and create power without having to 'chip' or alter the fuel map provided the so-called positive pressure and air flow is present before the MAF or MAP sensor. The ECU will register the additional air intake and adjust the fueling accordingly - to a point. Past this point and you'll encounter lean conditions where the injectors and fuel system are maxxed out. Here, remapping may help but with serious boost pressure, additional or bigger injectors will be needed along with a stronger fuel pump and FPR.

Here at the magazine we fitted the strongest petrol powered leaf-blower we could find to the intake of a 1.4i VW Golf. There was a minimal increase in power - up from 47kW ATW to 54kW ATW with a 9Nm increase in torque. Where we did find an improvement was with throttle response. The countered intake manifold pressure gave us nice throttle response but that was about it - you could hardly feel a difference on the road. You get better results from weight reduction.

The blower in question was a 29cc (1.76cu) tuned to run on 102-octane unleaded race fuel. We did experiment by spraying Nitrous Oxide directly into the blowers intake! The unmetered nitrous sent the power to 66kW! Without the gas the blower was pushing out a measly 0.05 bar boost (0.72 PSI). I'll see if I can find some pics of it...

Last edited by Spyke; 01-31-2011 at 02:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-31-2011, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Heck with pics - find the leaf blower! Then send it to me. I have to deal with serious amounts of leaf debris every fall and a nitro leaf blower would be sweet.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree. I looked into them awhile back and they all seem to have the same concept, just different packaging. I find it hard to believe an electric fan can create positive pressure at wide open throttle... Cold air induction, exhaust upgrades, and ECU remapping seem to be the only way to go with upgrades for now.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The people who install this **** on their car are the same people who believe that adding stickers increases horsepower and torque too.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by ufoz8mycow
the people who install this **** on their car are the same people who believe that adding stickers increases horsepower and torque too.
what are talking about, stickers do increase horse power. My '79 el camino is living testament. 9.30 ets at 145 mph in the quarter and there are lots of stickers on it. That "nawz" sticker is worth 400 hp alone with the largest pill stickers and that sticker takes it down into the 8's. I know stckers are the way to go, plus theyre worth contigency money in the semi's and finals. And to think before the stickers it was a 18 sec turd with a 305 engine back in the 80's. But man those stickers are expensive i counted a few years back and they cost me over 50k!!!!

Old 04-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ufoz8mycow
The people who install this **** on their car are the same people who believe that adding stickers increases horsepower and torque too.
Good stickers to consider:

1. Jaguar 'R' emblem stickers below your side marker lights

2. 'Supercharged' sticker on the back

No way you won't get power upgrade...

Old 04-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by aluni2230
Good stickers to consider:

1. Jaguar 'R' emblem stickers below your side marker lights

2. 'Supercharged' sticker on the back

No way you won't get power upgrade...