X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EM light will not go out ......

Old 12-20-2014, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy EM light will not go out ......

Hi All I am Johnny from Lanark in Scotland. I have a X-TYPE SE D 2.0.

My Jag has 3 problems :
1. Engine management light will not go out been in garage 3 times.
2. When the windscreen clear & rear windscreen are on battery light comes on will not go off. got new alternator fitted still the same.
3. No rev. lights bulbs ok fuse ok. ?????

Last edited by GGG; 12-21-2014 at 04:52 AM. Reason: edit thread title
Old 12-21-2014, 04:53 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Welcome to the forum Johnny,

I've copied this from your Intro for advice from members with the same model.

Graham

Old 12-21-2014, 06:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Johny,

the reversing light problem may well be the switch. That's what failed on mine a couple of months ago.

It is simple and inexpensive to replace . See this thread

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-switch-84810/

Old 12-21-2014, 11:20 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Johnny, if you can get us the codes that is causing the engine light to light, that will give us a point to start.

As for the reverse lights, I would start with the fuse first. But, if that is good, then odds are you have a bad reverse switch.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default engine management light

Hi Guys,
Im a new member from Uddingston Scotland & have the same problem
with EM Light. The fault code is P1000 & this all started after I stalled the
car reversing out the drive...Anyway I have a code reader & plugged it
into the car & got the fault code so went through the scan & cleared the
light but after taking the car a run I switched engine off & re-started it
only to find the engine management light came back on, so can anyone
tell me how to clear it for good.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:08 PM
Veteran member

Bill, from what you are describing, you are getting a fault code that is not a P-Code. Please keep in mind that the car has 4 types of codes (P-Powertrain, B-Body, C-Chassis, and U-universal). Most code readers will only read the P-Codes, not the others. So, odds are you are looking at most likely a C-Code. This is where you may need to get a better code reader or pay someone to have the codes read and tell them to also read all 4 types of codes (if they look at you funny, leave there and move on to somewhere else). Once you get one of these codes, we can lead you towards a permanent fix.

With all the above being said, I can place money that odds are you are looking at either C1165 (right rear wheel speed sensor) or C1175 (left rear wheel speed sensor) as the code you are getting. This is a fairly common fault. Granted, it normally is associated with an ABS light that comes on too. You don't mention that.

The other thing you can try doing is taking the car out for a drive and before you turn it off, plug in your code reader and see what codes you are getting. Unfortunately, you may need a code reader that can read "pending codes" in addition to the locked in codes (yes, there is a difference). This would be especially true if you have a power issue with the ECM where the computer is loosing its stored information and therefore, when you shut off the car, it is loosing all the stored codes and once you start up the car, it is seeing a problem with the ECM and therefore is tossing the EM light to come on, but because you haven't cycled the power, the code is stored in the "pending code" buffer.

I wish you luck. Unfortunately, there if not enough information to be able to give you a more detailed diagnosis.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:12 PM

HI,
Thanks for the reply, I hooked the car up to a hand held code reader & came up with....P1000... Ive cleared it several times & took the car for a run without it coming on, but when I switch off & switch on again it reappears. The only thing I can think of which might cause it is my intermitant wiper switch which sometimes works & sometimes doesn,t.
I purchased a Haynes workshop manual but cant find a fuse for it but that seems to be all so any ideas would be very grateful....By the way the car runs absolutely fine & ALSO I may be posting this reply in the wrong place so my apologies in advance.
Originally Posted by Thermo
Bill, from what you are describing, you are getting a fault code that is not a P-Code. Please keep in mind that the car has 4 types of codes (P-Powertrain, B-Body, C-Chassis, and U-universal). Most code readers will only read the P-Codes, not the others. So, odds are you are looking at most likely a C-Code. This is where you may need to get a better code reader or pay someone to have the codes read and tell them to also read all 4 types of codes (if they look at you funny, leave there and move on to somewhere else). Once you get one of these codes, we can lead you towards a permanent fix.

With all the above being said, I can place money that odds are you are looking at either C1165 (right rear wheel speed sensor) or C1175 (left rear wheel speed sensor) as the code you are getting. This is a fairly common fault. Granted, it normally is associated with an ABS light that comes on too. You don't mention that.

The other thing you can try doing is taking the car out for a drive and before you turn it off, plug in your code reader and see what codes you are getting. Unfortunately, you may need a code reader that can read "pending codes" in addition to the locked in codes (yes, there is a difference). This would be especially true if you have a power issue with the ECM where the computer is loosing its stored information and therefore, when you shut off the car, it is loosing all the stored codes and once you start up the car, it is seeing a problem with the ECM and therefore is tossing the EM light to come on, but because you haven't cycled the power, the code is stored in the "pending code" buffer.

I wish you luck. Unfortunately, there if not enough information to be able to give you a more detailed diagnosis.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:32 PM
Veteran member

Bill, if you can, hook up the reader and then take the car for a drive. Before you turn it off, have the reader read "Pending Codes". These are codes that the computer is waiting to put into memory once you turn off your car. This may give us a better idea of what your problem is. From the sounds of things, you are either suffering from a B or C code (which will not show up on a cheapy handheld normally) or the ECU is loosing power when you are turning the car off and that is causing the code to be lost.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Bill, if you can, hook up the reader and then take the car for a drive. Before you turn it off, have the reader read "Pending Codes". These are codes that the computer is waiting to put into memory once you turn off your car. This may give us a better idea of what your problem is. From the sounds of things, you are either suffering from a B or C code (which will not show up on a cheapy handheld normally) or the ECU is loosing power when you are turning the car off and that is causing the code to be lost.
OK Chris,
I,ll follow your advice & let you know the result.
Many Thanks Again...BILL

Old 06-02-2015, 01:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Every clear causes P1000. Stop clearing.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:45 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

+1

You will ALWAYS see one of the following codes:

P1000: OnBoard monitoring tests NOT COMPLETED since last memory clear
P1111: OnBoard monitoring tests COMPLETED

These are an OBD system readiness status and not an error.

Graham

Old 06-06-2015, 10:40 AM
Cool engine management light

OK GUYS,
This is a new discovery on the EM light not clearing, I had the hood up to check fuses,oil,water etc trying to eliminate the obvious, Anyway I went to the boot for a spanner to disconnect the battery & noticed the rear lights & the side running lights (yellow) were on. I got my wife to come & press pedals so I could check it out & I think my brake lights that stay lit. (side lights, fog lights & reverse lights all work perfect)
I,m hoping that this the cause of the E M light being on so can anyone verify this & point me in the right direction to solve the problem. I think it must be a switch somewhere as the bulbs are lit.