X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan runs All the time

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan runs All the time

In reading a lot of posts it seems as though the fan running is a symptom of only a few things. Thermostat, sensor, or module.
I have a 07 xtype with 95k and it runs and drives perfectly but for lately the fan seems to run when the car is off for a long while.
I read that putting the fan on high in full ac mode should make the fan run full on so that it would part your hair. I doesnt seem to make a difference. The fan sounds like a jet. I am going with module as my husband says the temp is good and the fuses are good.
My questions is if anyone has input on it?? I also wonder what is thought about installing a used one.?? The new ones are stupid expensive.
Thanks
Blondie

Old 06-16-2016, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

It could be your coolant is low. Check the level in the reservoir. Not uncommon for the tank to split or the nipple on the top to crack. Also double check that your water pump might be leaking. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Just so you know what should be happening, this is the official description

Two variable speed electric cooling fans are housed in the cooling fan shroud for the cooling of the radiator. The speed of the electric cooling fans are adjusted by the cooling fan motor control module, which is controlled by the engine control module (ECM).The ECM determines the cooling fan speed by receiving inputs from the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor and the dual automatic temperature control module (DATC). The ECM sends a variable pulse width modulated (PWM) signal to the fan motor control module to operate the cooling fans at the required speed. The cooling fans are operated at slow speed when the engine coolant temperature is at 95°C (203°F) and are operated at full speed when the engine coolant temperature is at 105°C (221°F). A coolant temperature between these temperatures will cause the cooling fans to be operated at a speed which is proportional to the engine coolant temperature.When the engine is running with the ECT above 100°C (212°F), if the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position the cooling fans will continue to operate for a time which is determined by the ECM.If the PWM signal from the ECM to the cooling fan control module is between 7% and 95% the cooling fan control module will operate the cooling fans at the required speed. If the PWM signal from the ECM to the cooling fan control module is below 3% and above 95% the cooling fan control module will operate the cooling fans at maximum speed. If the PWM signal from the ECM to the cooling fan control module is between 3% and 7% the cooling fans will not be operated.

A faulty temperature sensor would light the MIL and as your gauge appears to be working (Husband says temperature is OK), then a faulty fan module seems likely. If you go for a used module, be sure it is the same spec as the one in your X Type There was a change in spec at one time, so early modules will not fit directly.

Before committing cash, it would be worth checking all connectors are clean and properly connected. Also, try disconnecting the battery for a while and then reconnecting it.