X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

freakin Homelink

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default freakin Homelink

for the love of everything Holy...my Homelink will not program with my garage door opener...Ive done it a million times and driving everyone crazy with door goes up....door goes down......it flashes like its programmed....but...when button pushed.....doesnt open squat....what gives???...ideas??

The following users liked this post:
Rome191 (11-01-2014)
Old 11-11-2010, 10:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You may have one of those garage openers that has an additional layer of security built in whereby the "remote" code is constantly changing automatically so no one can hack your opening signal...

If I am not mistaken, there are two ways of programming Home-Link.

1) You get your Home-Link in the "learn" mode (sorry I don't remember all the steps), and then press and hold your garage opening keeping it within close distance to the Home-Link buttons so they can sync up (this normally works for the older openers)

2) You get your Home-Link in the "learn" mode and then you go and hit the "learn" button on your garage opener. Now you have about 20 seconds to run to your car and hold in (don't let go) the button on your Home-Link that you want to use to open that door. Your garage door should blink (still don't let go). When it stops blinking, then let go, and then press your Home-Link button one more time and your door should open...

I hope that helps!

Old 11-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

YOU HAVE WHAT IS CALLED 'ROLLING CODE' GARAGE DOOR. YOU WILL NEED 2 PEOPLE TO MAKE IT WORK, BUT YOU DEFINITELY 'CAN' PROGRAM IT. LIKELY SOMEONE WILL HAVE TO BE PUSHING A BUTTON ON THE GARAGE OPENER UNIT WHILE YOU ARE PUSHING THE HOMELINK BUTTON TRYING TO GET THEM TO 'LEARN' EACH OTHER. try google, there's a lot of info swimming around on this

Old 11-13-2010, 03:17 PM

thanks guys...ill see if I can get the wifey and try this thing out

Old 11-13-2010, 11:17 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Or if your garage door opener was made before 1983, it's on a different frequency that isn't going to work. The remote will flash like it's programmed but will not operate the door. I have 2 of these. Chamberlain/Liftmaster has an add-on receiver unit (also sold by Sears with Craftsman name) that can be connected to older openers to make them compatible.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have you read the instructions? Basically you make a copy of your remote in the homelink brain. Next you have to introduce the new copy of the remote to the door opener.

Push and hold 1and3 till the light flashes fast, that erases all old codes. you only have to do this once.

Push and hold the button that you want to program, and at the same time push and hold your original opener. Some openers need to be repressed several times. This can be done away from home, so the door does not open and close as you do it. when the homelink has copied your remote the red light flashes quickly.

Now your car is a new remote opener. you need to tell the garage door opener to listen to the new thing.
you dont need 2 people. Drive the car into the garage. step up on the car door sill if you cant reach the opener, and
you press the learn button on your garage door opener.
then calmly step down, and press the homelink button. 30 seconds is a long time to move 4 feet- lol.

your garage door opener should flash or something to acknowledge the new remote and you are done.

The following 2 users liked this post by xersport:
kashaf (02-24-2013), sidewalkman (11-30-2010)
Old 11-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't need two people, just hurry mine times out like after 30 seconds. I was able to do it alone after installing some brand new Craftsman openers.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:11 PM

got it figured out thanks to your guys info...didnt need 2 people just had to be fast......it works now!!!! yay!!!

Old 11-29-2010, 12:35 AM

Hey BlackSunshine. Did you have to use a working remote during programming, because I cannot find a remote for my garage code, since I've always had homelink systems in my cars.

I was hoping all I would have to do is erase homelink, then go push the learn button in the garage and finally run out and hold a button in the car. Doesn't seem to work.

Maybe I'll hunt some more for an extra remote for the programming.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:20 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, you'll need a remote. Once you erase the homelink unit in the car, step one is teaching the car with a remote. Then comes the garage end.

The following 2 users liked this post by wedgewa:
clint25n (11-29-2010), Rome191 (11-01-2014)
Old 02-24-2013, 05:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xersport
Have you read the instructions? Basically you make a copy of your remote in the homelink brain. Next you have to introduce the new copy of the remote to the door opener.

Push and hold 1and3 till the light flashes fast, that erases all old codes. you only have to do this once.

Push and hold the button that you want to program, and at the same time push and hold your original opener. Some openers need to be repressed several times. This can be done away from home, so the door does not open and close as you do it. when the homelink has copied your remote the red light flashes quickly.

Now your car is a new remote opener. you need to tell the garage door opener to listen to the new thing.
you dont need 2 people. Drive the car into the garage. step up on the car door sill if you cant reach the opener, and
you press the learn button on your garage door opener.
then calmly step down, and press the homelink button. 30 seconds is a long time to move 4 feet- lol.

your garage door opener should flash or something to acknowledge the new remote and you are done.
thank you so much. literally took me like 1 minute. I had SUV with side steps so I didn't even need to setup a ladder. Did it inside garage lol.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:48 PM

1) I cleared the Jaguar home link memory by pressing the outside buttons for 20 seconds
2) hold down the button you want to program on the home link until it starts rapidly flashing
3) continue to hold the home link button then press and hold the open/close button on your garage door opener remote until the light stops flashing.
4) next get out of your car walk to the center of your garage and press the button on your garage door machine
5) walk back to your car and press and hold the home link button you just programmed. you should hear a click from your garage door machine letting you know the new code has been accepted.

Nirvana

Old 11-01-2014, 05:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chamberlain LiftMaster

If your garage door opener's "Learn" button is purple, Homelink suggests this procedure. Procedures listed in the Owner's Manual and on this forum did not work for me, so I called Homelink and their instruction worked perfectly. Here are the details.
For this process you will need to use your existing garage door opener remote AND THEN the “Learn” button on the opener itself. Make sure that you have access to that button before you start programming. You may need a ladder to reach that button. On some models the “Learn” button is hidden behind the cover, so open it prior to starting.
1. Your vehicle must be parked outside of your garage! I tried it inside 20 times and it didn’t work.
2. Press and hold outside Homelink buttons (1 and 3) on the rearview mirror for 20 seconds or until the light starts flashing rapidly. Then release both buttons.
3. Press and hold the button you want to program and the button on your existing garage door opener's remote until the light starts flashing rapidly. Then release both buttons.
4. Go to your garage door opener and press the “Learn” button. There is usually a light next to that button. That light will turn solid.
5. Go back to your vehicle immediately (you have only 30 seconds for the whole process) and press and hold the button you want to program 2 times for 3 seconds. The light starts flashing rapidly at 3 seconds mark.
It should work after that. I hope my instruction will help someone.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:30 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

Mine works Perfect every time.
drive up to the Garage
Wife gets out of the car
Wife opens door
I drive in
Wife closes door

Just kidding the Garage is too full to fit a car in

The following 2 users liked this post by Paulc732:
42V8XKR (03-28-2016), Jaroslav Záruba (11-09-2023)