X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! DSC Fault, and Now Engine light- New to the Jaguar World

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 11:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HELP! DSC Fault, and Now Engine light- New to the Jaguar World

I recently bought a 2005 Xtype 3.0 AWD. Love it...rides smooth, quiet, luxurious and has more that enough bells and whistles than I can keep up with.

Not too long after I bought it the DSC error came on. System Fault is what it says. It doesnt stay on all the time, just periodically.

I took it back to where I bought it and showed them the error msg. They had wondered if maybe the after market Auto start was causing the issue. I am going to take it back to them to take a look. I know that they disconnected the battery, and reconnected it. checked fuses etc.

Well today my engine light came on. I do not know much about cars, especially jags. The care still feels the same. I dont know what it could be. I need to get thoughts on what any of it could be. Could the auto start cause the problem with the DSC msg? Could the engine light tie in with any of the above?

Old 01-25-2013, 11:19 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Jen, if you have a check engine light there will be codes.
You can get these read at Autozone, O'reillys etc,
Find out the code numbers and post back with the details.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:50 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a DSC Fault Message. Turned out to be the battery. When you have your fault codes pulled at Advance Auto, have them check the battery. Mine registered 12.9 volts and only 225 CCA which is too low. The battery was replaced and my DSC Fault Message disappeared. If you need a battery use your cell phone or have someone order on line for you. I received a 25% off coupon & brought my out the door price to $125.

I only see a 20% off special code tonight. Well they change all the time. Good luck.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:06 AM

Thanks Guys I will take it over tomorrow and will post what i find out.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:16 PM

So took the car to Autozone today to scan for codes.

This is what I got:

P01010= Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P1000

I also had them check the charge on my battery. He said it was a low charge and asked if I had any trouble with the car starting (i havent).

The engine light did go off for quite a while today while running errands, but it came back on again.

(I do know that they disconnected the battery the other day to see if it would reset the DSC fault msg im getting.)

The

Old 01-26-2013, 05:19 PM

P0101 i meant

Old 01-26-2013, 06:19 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Attached is a picture of MAF - Mass Air Flow location. You'll need a philips screwdriver to remove it. You'll need to take the cover off that says Jaguar on it. This is where the air filter is located. Once you lift the cover off you can disconnect the plug, then use the screwdrive to remove the MAF sensor.

You have 2 options:

1 - Clean the MAF with CRC MAF sensor cleaner - $10
2 - Replace the sensor all together - $70 at O'Reilly's

Please leave a post as to what fixes your problem. This is helpful for other veiwers.

Attached Thumbnails HELP! DSC Fault, and Now Engine light-  New to the Jaguar World-jag-maf.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Backhertz (01-27-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 08:53 AM

Great pic of the MAF. I just wanted to comment on the DSC Fault & battery issue. I had the same problem on Jan 4th. My battery in my opinion was fine as my car started up each & every time. I went to Advance Auto and they used a hand-held device which took about 15-20 seconds to test the battery & produce a tiny printout. The printout was the proof of the pudding. On my battery, it registered only 225 CCA & the next line said replace battery. I don't know if the Autozone had a battery, but Advance Auto did. They replaced the battery while I used my cellphone to order one over the Internet and take advantage of a battery promotion which took the $166 price down to only $125 and included free install. Removal/installation is very easy as these batteries have a plastic handle that pops up- no wonder they are so expensive !

So anyhow, while I was punching in the order, the Advance Auto person went ahead & changed the battery. I didn't get to observe. He comes back on in the store and about 2 minutes later, my order comes in. Bada bing, bada bang. I asked him if he would recheck the new battery just because I had never seen one of these testers used before. The new battery registered 700 or more CCA- I don't recall the exact figure. But it worked.

I got back in the car & turned it on as usual. The first thing I noted was the DSC Fault Message was gone & the red S light was out. My temperatures were in C instead of F, my radio presents were gone; however, my previous destinations were still present in the nav system. The other thing was my windows needed to be 'reprogrammed' by holding the buttons down or up- I tried both ways & it worked. So a simply touch on the window button results in the window going all the way down or all the way up again.

I am a retired radar engineer with years of experience in all kinds of electronics including EMI & RFI- interference and noise. I am very skeptical of using the disconnect battery method to clear the check engine light as there are tiny sparks which are seemingly harmless, but some sensitive electronics can be destroyed. I can not speak with any type of authority as to this practice on one of our cars. But rather, I suggest using a code reader/clearer to extinguish the CEL. Prior to my code reader arriving, I tried that and waited 30 seconds and noticed the tiny sparks & said , "Oh boy." When I got back in the car, the CEL was still on. Perhaps one of the other members who understands the system better than I can chime in here and explain.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Get a new battery first. These cars are ridiculously sensitive to low battery voltage and will throw spurious codes.

Re reconnecting the battery - Jaguar do take pains to suggest a clean (not 'dithery') reconnect.
The sparks are the module capacitors re-charging.
The reason to do a 'hard reset' is to discharge those capacitors which forces the modules to do a reload on power-on so, if there's some corruption in their little memories, it gets refreshed.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:20 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

steveinfrance is correct. I agree on the battery. Get is replaced. I'm not a fan of the Duralast from Autozone. One went bad, the replacement under warranty wen bad 6 months later. Point - Spend the the money on a good quality battery. These kittens are sensitive to electical power.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Funny you should post this issue. I had the same code, Cleaned the MAF sensor yesterday and the light cleared after several driving cycles. Feels like it is driving smoother. Am anxious to see if the fuel mileage increases at all.Was very easy to do. Get teh plug out, loosen a couple phillips screws, spray the sensor a few times without directing the spray right at the fine wires, reassemble and away you go.

By the way, I wonder why they sell the MAF cleaner in those huge spray cans. That's enough for 10 lifetimes unless you plan on cleaning it every couple months.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default DCS fault

Originally Posted by Jen'sJag
P0101 i meant
M : DTC P0101, P0102, P0103, P1104. MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR (MAF)

M1 : CHECK THE MAF SENSOR POWER SUPPLY
  1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
  2. Disconnect the MAF sensor electrical connector EN6.
  3. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
  4. Measure the voltage between the MAF sensor electrical connector EN6 pin 1 (GU) and GROUND.
Is the voltage less than 10 volts?

Yes Goto M5

No Goto M2

M2 : CHECK CONTINUITY OF THE MAF SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT
  1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
  2. Disconnect the PCM electrical connector EN16.
  3. Measure the resistance between the MAF sensor electrical connector EN6 pin 3 (GW) and the PCM electrical connector EN16 pin 44 (GW).
Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?

Yes Goto M3

No REPAIR the circuit. For additional information, refer to the wiring diagrams. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.

M3 : CHECK CONTINUITY OF THE MAF SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT
  1. Measure the resistance between the MAF sensor electrical connector EN6 pin 2 (BW) and the PCM electrical connector EN16 pin 45 and pin 46 (BW).
Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?

Yes Goto M4

No REPAIR the circuit. For additional information, refer to the wiring diagrams. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.

M4 : CHECK THE MAF SENSOR CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO GROUND
  1. Measure the resistance between the MAF sensor electrical connector EN6 pin 3 (GW) and GROUND.
Is the resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?

Yes INSTALL a new MAF sensor. CLEAR DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation. If the DTC is repeated, INSTALL a new PCM. For additional information, Before replacing a PCM, contact Dealer technical support.

No REPAIR the short to ground. For additional information, refer to the wiring diagrams. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.

M5 : CHECK FUSE 36 OF THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT FUSE BOX
  1. Check the fuse.
Is the fuse OK?

Yes Goto M7

No Goto M6

M6 : CHECK FUSE 36 OF THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT FUSE BOX FOR A SHORT TO GROUND
  1. Measure the resistance between electrical connector JB34 pin 93 of the engine compartment fuse box and GROUND.
Is the resistance less than 10,000 ohms?

Yes REPAIR short to ground between the engine compartment fuse box and the MAF sensor. For additional information, refer to wiring diagrams. CLEAR the DTC. TEST the system for normal operation.

No INSTALL a new fuse. Check the circuit for cause of fuse failure. CLEAR the DTC. TEST the system for normal operation.

M7 : CHECK THE POWER SUPPLY FROM FUSE 36 IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT FUSE BOX TO THE MAF SENSOR
  1. Measure the voltage between the engine compartment fuse box electrical connector JB34 pin 93 and GROUND.
Is the voltage less than 10 volts?

Yes REPAIR the circuit from the engine compartment fuse box to the MAF sensor. For additional information, refer to wiring diagrams. CLEAR the DTC. TEST the system for normal operation.

No

Old 01-27-2013, 06:09 PM

Oh shucks. Who else sells batteries other than the dealer? My dealer quoted me $225. Seemed like a good deal on an Advance Auto battery for only $125 out the door. It even came with a handle like the OEM. But I am also a believer in that one gets what one pays for.

Thanks.