X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide style direction and wheel choice

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 01:23 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help me decide style direction and wheel choice

Hey everybody! Been away from this forum for a while. Lost interest in the car when my clutch failed and repairing it went on the back burner. Anyways, got the car back together and have been motoring for a while. As summer rolls around, again I am looking to customize the "X". I have been torn in what direction I want to head in and was looking for input from some guys here on the forum. Especially the guys with modded cars.
Guess I will start with where the car is at currently. 2003 x-type in Onyx white, chrome trim, 5-spd, 90K, clean interior (less steering wheel). Things I've done mechanically since owning: t-case/g-box flush, bearing grease, two vac lines, clutch kit . Car currently equipped with cheap cracked chrome made in china 18" wheels. Car also has EBC power slotted rotors with EBC red stuff pads all the way around, 6000k Hylux HID's, Interior and Exterior white LED lights, Clear front and side marker lens.
The car's most pressing need is a new set of wheels and rubber. Wheels and stance has a lot to do with the cars impression. Wheel selection will dictate which direction I head with this car style-wise and I'm torn. I THINK I want to go with 19" wheels, more specifically the Coventry Whitley wheels. Jaguar Wheels by Coventry. Custom X-type wheels, S-Type wheels, XF wheels, XJ wheels, XK wheels I like the look of them considering there isn't much selection for the 5x108 pattern. You can get them in Chrome, Black or Silver. Look #1 - I see the Silver wheels with stainless mesh grill and the chrome trim(White, Silver, Chrome). Look #2 I see the Black Wheels, Plastidip my chrome trim white, black mesh grills (storm trooper type look). What do you guys think? #1?, #2?, both ideas suck? Suggestions... Can I run a wider rear wheel with a larger lip?

Parts I have stashed:
Painted rear trunk lip
Eiback Springs
Wood Grain Wheel

Parts on order:
Rear control arm's
Passenger Side mirror

Parts I intend to order this summer:
Exhaust
Front lip
Mesh
More suspension goodies.

Attached Thumbnails Help me decide style direction and wheel choice-jag.png  
Old 05-19-2014, 09:57 AM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

I vote for number two. Or, if I had a white car, I'd dip the wheels white too. So I'd probably buy them in black so if I didn't like they white on white I could take the dip off and still have the black. And yes, you can run a wider rear, just make sure the tire height is the same front and rear.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:22 PM
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

дел

Last edited by car5car; 05-19-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Justink201
I vote for number two. Or, if I had a white car, I'd dip the wheels white too. So I'd probably buy them in black so if I didn't like they white on white I could take the dip off and still have the black. And yes, you can run a wider rear, just make sure the tire height is the same front and rear.
Hey thanks for the reply. You were one of the guys I was hoping would chime in. Seen your post, suspension build was sick. Car is ILL. Way to rock the Green. You are helping sway me to the black wheel. I'd like to see it in black and white. Although, funny you say black because you'd might paint em white. White-Out did cross my mind. You think I can get away with 19x8.5 42ET Fronts and 19x9.5 25ET Rears without any render rolling? Itching to pull the trigger on these wheels, don't want to eff up.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:49 PM

I had (still have them sitting here though) 19x9.5s with a 40 offset and I had to roll my fenders, front and rear quite a bit, but I was running 245 35 19s. Exexpat on here was running Coventry 18x9.5s in the rear with 215s for tires. You can check it out here, https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ely-oem-54033/

personally I wanted the widest tires I could get under my car so knew I would be working the fenders before I ever bought wheels or tires, I actually bought a fender roller before I bought wheels. I also have a set of 18x8.5 with a 50 offset and 18x9.5 with like a 55 offset, but they are 5x114.3 and I use 1 inch adaptors so the rears end up with like, 20 for an offset and with 255 35 18s they rub, even with all the fender work I have done. My 3rd set are 18x9 with 35 offset and 255 35 18s and they do not rub, at all, even on big bumps. Tire selection is critical to fitting wide wheels without a lot of fender work.

Last edited by Justink201; 05-19-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:30 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Go with 18" rims, 19" are an odd size for tires and they run more expensive. Look for some used Jag rims that will fit.

These are pretty rare BBS option rims for the X Type but they are out there. I have 19" rims on my BMW M5, they are rough on the road. The 18" BBS are even harder on the Jag.

Attached Thumbnails Help me decide style direction and wheel choice-melbournejagrims_zps43946a97.jpg  
Old 05-20-2014, 12:33 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Do not get chrome or 20 inch wheels on your car. Larger rims and tires add more weight to it.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:04 AM

Bigger does not always mean heavier. There are light weight wheels in all sizes. My 18x9 team dynamic pro race wheels are lighter than my friends 15x10 steel wheels and even my 18x8.5s and they have hollow spokes. You are right about 19s being a bit odd with tire sizes but there are plenty of options out there, maybe not as much as 18s. 19s are also a bit more harsh as far as ride quality but really anything over 17s on our car is a bit "harsh" for most jaguar drivers. I can't comment to much about ride harshness since I built my suspension to be stiff.

PS. I really liked the way my car looked lowered on 19s though, but I had to go to 18s to run wider tires and get my car even lower.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Justink201
I had (still have them sitting here though) 19x9.5s with a 40 offset and I had to roll my fenders, front and rear quite a bit, but I was running 245 35 19s. Exexpat on here was running Coventry 18x9.5s in the rear with 215s for tires. You can check it out here, https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ely-oem-54033/

personally I wanted the widest tires I could get under my car so knew I would be working the fenders before I ever bought wheels or tires, I actually bought a fender roller before I bought wheels. I also have a set of 18x8.5 with a 50 offset and 18x9.5 with like a 55 offset, but they are 5x114.3 and I use 1 inch adaptors so the rears end up with like, 20 for an offset and with 255 35 18s they rub, even with all the fender work I have done. My 3rd set are 18x9 with 35 offset and 255 35 18s and they do not rub, at all, even on big bumps. Tire selection is critical to fitting wide wheels without a lot of fender work.

I don't imagine my car will be sitting as low as yours or ExExpat having the non-sport model on eibachs vs coilovers or bagged. Reading the thread you linked has me thinking 19x9.5 et25 with say 225's will not fit with out fender rolling? Heck looks even 18x9.5 et25 with 225's wont fit with out some rolling. Which is weird because I swear I saw someone on this forum running 20's without rolled fenders....and there is soooooooo much room with my 18's. I will admit, suspension is my kryptonite (even though I've built a bagged ranger).

The BBS wheels are nice and look really good on your car. I'm after a little more aggressive look however. As far as 19's....the car is unique, seems like it would/should have unique sized wheels. I also have 5 tire shops within walking distance so I'm not to worried about tire availability. (God bless America)

Damn....is running a staggered width really this difficult on this car? Yet another reason why this car never came close to touching the 3-series as it aspired to.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:15 PM

Its the offset and the width that makes the rears a problem and require fender rolling. The 19x9.5s with 25 offset Coventry sells is actually for the bigger jags and the x type needs a higher offset. With 20s, people that aren't having problems with them are running a more narrow wheel with higher offset so the wheel is actually tucked into the fender more than an 18x9.5 with a lower offset like 25. Are you wanting a staggered set up for looks? Because it will have a negative affect on handling by causing even more understeer than these cars already have built into the suspension because the rear has more grip than then the front since it has more tire. Its also important to keep the overall height of the front and rear tires the same with the awd drivetrain. You can also look into tsw wheels, they have a lot of options and sizes and they make Coventry wheels so they are just as good quality wise. Getting a 19x9 with like a 40 or 35 offset will be easier to fit back there with some 225s. The thing with the BMWs is they have a more common bolt pattern so its not that its "easier" to get a staggered setup to work, its just that there are many more options and many MANY more people that have actually done it. Very few people with x types even bother with aftermarket wheels, let alone wide staggered setups.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:54 AM

Damn, that makes sense. Ok how difficult is it to roll the rear fenders if I pick up one of those tools? No auto body exp. Cost to have them done? I just like the staggered rear look a lot, only reason. Yes understeer did cross my mind, but thought running the same width tires front to back would make it a non issue. Got me thinking otherwise now. Tried finding them in the TSW's. Don't think they make 19 or 18x9 or 9.5 anything ET. Although you are right there are more options in sizing. GetYourWheels.com: TSW Wheels TSW Silverstone Gloss Black with Mirror Lip Wheels : Wheel and Tire Packages|Staggered Wheels|Custom Wheels|Luxury Rims

Old 05-21-2014, 09:24 AM

Rolling fenders isn't too difficult but there is a likely chance that your paint can crack. I bought my roller front Eastwood for 170 around Christmas a few years ago because they had them on sale. I cracked my paint, all four corners. I did have to roll them a lot to fit my wide tires and have the car low, they are like over an inch wider than stock. I'm not sure how much a shop would charge, but you probably wouldn't need to roll them very much for a 225 or 215. I've never ran staggered wheels with the same size tires so I can't comment on how that effects handling. My staggered setups on cars always had wider rear tires.

Alloy Wheels Collection | TSW Alloy Wheels

check out their site, you can just click the wheel and it lists all the sizes and bolt patterns. You'd be better off finding what you want on there and talking to a reputable dealer for tsw to get exactly what you want and need. I've found that the chances of finding what you want that will fit our cars online that you can just buy is slim when you want something a bit out of the norm. I contacted the us dealer for the company I bought my last set of wheels from and got exactly want I wanted and I'm glad I did. Now I have two other sets of "off the shelf" wheels stacked in my house haha.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by carcster

Btw I do want a set of these some day, my favorite factory wheels.