X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - no airflow through vents

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 06:24 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Help - no airflow through vents

I have posted here before where I got my recirculation door to work and replaced the actuator -also determined that the defrost/vent selector control door must have a broken shaft because the actuator that controls it functions with controls but the end of door shaft rotates 360 degrees inside its space in air box. So all air deverts to defrost vents right now no matter the setting. I know it's a bigger fix to get that door working properly but does anyone have an idea how to make that flap/door inside to blow all vent all the time until I can find time for permanent fix? My wife had first really hot day today over 80 and the A/C blows cold just not blowing on the passenger through the front vent and it's really uncomfortable. If you know a way to direct me to change that door to only vent please share. I thought about trying to push a flexible piece of rigid hose through vent opening to see if I could push it to open that way but may be dumb idea. Any suggestions?

Old 06-12-2016, 07:21 AM

Anyone have ideas on this issue please? The airflow self corrected to come out of vents a few weeks ago but now is back to all defrost.

Old 06-12-2016, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Sounds like the flap spindle may have come loose on the stepper motor shaft allowing intermittent operation. The attached TSM covers the procedure to fix it, albeit for the Air Blend Door.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Air Blend Flap Repair.pdf (94.6 KB, 96 views)
Old 06-12-2016, 02:33 PM

Thanks Astro but I've already determined that the end of the shaft that connects to the actuator must be broken inside on air box since it spins freely 360 degrees. Even if glued to the actuator it would not move the defrost/vent flap inside the air handler. That's what I need to be able to do is change the position of that door or flap so it allows air to come out vents

Old 06-14-2016, 11:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just joined because it appears that I will also be working on the same problem with a 2002 X-type that a young lady is buying cheap. It's got a few issues, but this will be the most pressing along with a radio amp problem.

I've got nearly 40 years experience working on cars (mostly American muscle) so nothing is really out of my comfort zone.

Is the vent door actuator also accessible through the glove box?

Old 06-15-2016, 05:22 PM

Yes there are three actuators that are on the side of the air box and all accessible once removing the glovebox. There is a diagram showing the actuators and labeling what each does in some other posts in the forum. I will try and locate so I can post the link here for you. There is also an actuator behind the fan housing unit also accessible once glove box removed that controls the fresh/recirculate door but very similar actuator. These are totally electric actuators that have small electric motor and worm gear that turns a shaft which fits into a hexagonal opening on the end of an arm for each door within the airbox. Glad to have the company

Last edited by RobinGa; 06-15-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:28 PM

Fresnojim. Here is another post that has diagram showing location of actuators but bear in mind the picture is of a European Jag airbox so the three actuators are as shown but the blower motor unit is on the same side as 3 actuators and not opposite as the drawing shows.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...tional-141907/

The glove box has three sets of screws. There are 3 under the dashboard that form the hinge the door opens on, 2 more screws that are on top of opening of open glove box and those are inside rubber grommets, the a couple screws in the back of the glovebox compartment. If I recall each set of screws take different tool to remove.

Last edited by RobinGa; 06-15-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seller drove the car to my house today. On the way the vents switched, so it might not be something broken. There were some voltage issues when we looked at the car (drained battery, then another battery). It might not be charging so it's just something to look at.