X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help X-Type Headlight Question / Adjusters

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help X-Type Headlight Question / Adjusters

I am asking for help and advice regarding my wife's 2002 X-Type. It flunked NY state inspection because the headlight adjusters are broken. Mechanic wants to replace with a new $1,025 headlight assembly. My questions are - does any vendor supply just the adjusters, are there reputable vendors that would stock a used assembly. And lastly, my mechanic says it is with headlight washers but not high intensity lights. I am not seeing this listed. Only seeing non washer halogen lights and headlight washers with high intensity Xenon bulbs. Any help would be appreciated. My wife loves the car. I would buy another without hesitation. Thanks

Old 11-12-2010, 08:13 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Pacecar, unfortunately, there is no company that just sells the mounts for the headlights. You can try pulling the headlights out, epoxying the mounts back together and then using a few heavy duty tie straps to help assist with the load management inside the headlight assembly. But, short of getting new headlight assemblies, that is about the only fix there is available.

As for finding the headlight assemblies, the only difference between the HID headlights and the standard halogen headlights is the housing itself. The housing has the ballast in it for the HIDs. So, if you are looking to upgrade to HID bulbs, this would be the time. Granted, you would have to buy 2 housings. The wiring is already in the car for you to do that.

Check out the local vendors here. Some of them offer some decent discounts to members. Specifically, there is Nalley Jag that can get the housing for you. The price is still going to be steep, but it is better than what you are being quoted. Installing a new headlight assembly isn't that hard. Granted, it does require dropping the bumper cover to get the housing out. If you have more questions, just ask.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

The headlamp washers are not part of the headlamp but are housed in the front bumper cover assy.

The headlamps themselves don't matter if your car is equiped or not.

http://car-part.com

is a good place to look for used parts

bob gauff

Old 11-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Check out the classifieds here on the Forum. Here's one:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=44217
plus there are a couple other guys (svldvc and SEBZX79) parting out X-types.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:20 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
As for finding the headlight assemblies, the only difference between the HID headlights and the standard halogen headlights is the housing itself. The housing has the ballast in it for the HIDs. So, if you are looking to upgrade to HID bulbs, this would be the time. Granted, you would have to buy 2 housings. The wiring is already in the car for you to do that.
Not trying to hijack the thread.

Thermo,

So you're saying my X-Type already is pre-wired for the HID lights, and it's just a matter of getting the headlight assemblies for the HIDs? Since they're the same design, they should simply fit into the space, right?

Hmmm! Now, I need to ponder about this.

Thanks!

Old 11-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Veteran member

exrub, yes, the two housings are identical. Granted, check out the price of the HID housings. You may find this to be the deal breaker. So, if you can find a cheap set of HID housings that are in 1 piece (remember, the adjusters are more likely to break in factory HID housings due to more weight on the reflectors due to the mounting location of the ballasts), I would say to go for it.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:40 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Granted, check out the price of the HID housings. You may find this to be the deal breaker.
Whoa! You weren't kidding about the price.

Perhaps I'll stick with the regular ones for now.

Thanks, Thermo!

Old 11-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Veteran member

Exrub, you will probably be better off if you are truely wanting HID bulbs to get a new halogen housing and then going with an aftermarket HID bulb setup. Installing the HID bulbs with the ballasts is about a 2 hour job and is really easy to do. I've done a few vehicles now. Getting ready to upgrade the brights on my car to some 50W HIDs so when I need light, I will have more than enough and then also upgrading the wife's car to HIDs all the way around too. Also looking into upgrading the rear lighting some and altering that to make it so more of the tail light is lit up and making it so the whole clear section is the turn signal and the inside stripe is all lit up in some fashion. But, this will mean drilling a series of holes in the lower valance back there to install a string of luxeon stars. We'll see. The rewiring is easy, it is getting enough of the luxeon stars for the back up lighting to be effective. I've got some 1W Luxeon stars right now that I am going to play with and see how intense the light is and then go from there.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

You can have headlight washers without hid, i have 1 in my stall right now. Look for the black hid plackard in the drivers door frame by hinges. Also chris you sure on the wiring. Cause without looking up a diagram i have done swaps on stypes and xj's and the connectors are the same but you have a different trigger to turn on. Halogen are b+ trigger, hid neg. Forget repairing the stock plastic, its all crap in the xtype which ive tried plastic epoxy, platic welder etc and the plastic once they break is very crumbly for lack of a better word and they just break next to the spot you repaired. Just get the best price new or at least a very good newer yr used 1.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Veteran member

Brutal, if you look on the diagrams, the headlight assemblies are dashed around them indicating that they are interchangeable. All the rest of the wiring is the same. I have wired up aftermarket ones too and they go in with no problems. I guess "Ford" cheaped out when they did the HIDs in the X-Types and make it so they were very interchangeable. Unfortunately, the engineering of he late 90's/early 2000 vehicles isn't quite up to par. I have seen a lot of things with their vehicles that make me question why they did things. Who would make an aluminum head with only 3 threads holding the plug in place, especially on a supercharged engine. Ford did it. C'est la vie. I had a vehicle with that problem and have now upgraded the spark plug holes so I don't have to worry about it any more.