X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood emblem: Weld or Alarm!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hood emblem: Weld or Alarm!?

My fellow Kitty lovers. Iv posted alot about my stolen hood emblem (i still cry alil inside). so iv found one for under $150

But now the question is...

I heard of $100 alarms, but honestly would they keep someone from taking it... i think not. All they do is make lots of noise.

Iv also hear of welding them on with epoxy, or JB weld. This sounds like it would work. It would make them have to try very hard to get if off.

SO TELL ME WHAT YOU GUYS THINK!?

This is me on the dance floor---> hahaha

Old 01-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would weld it on however if I were you i would wire the ornament to the battery and fit a low watt high volt zapper.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd be afraid of "welding" it on with epoxy. If someone really wants it they'll probably mess up the hood when trying to break off the leaper.

Have you thought about lowering your Comprehensive Insurance deductible? That's the part of insurance that pays for theft or vandalism. I keep mine at $100 and it does very little to the price of my policy. The other coverages are what kill you in terms of price.

With a lower comprehensive deductible things like a broken windshield, key scratching and stolen hood emblems would only cost you $100.

Just an idea!

Rob

The following users liked this post:
Mr. Fox (01-17-2011)
Old 01-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

You have 2 choices, either epoxy or weld it on so when they try to steal it they do 1000.00 worth of damage to the hood, or just figure if they want it hope they don't hurt the rest of the car. Or I guess the third is to the Exexpat leaper delete.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:51 PM

ROB R. Dude! thats awsome i called and lowering my deductable only increases my rate $40 bucks every six months... but becuse im stupied i had called and told them when i frist got stolen so she told me that would still be $500 jeeze, you can never win with insurence companies...

So saying that, welding it on sounds like its gonna work

Next question... Car wash? think that would rip it off?

Old 01-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with sidewalkman..The chances of doing damage to ur hood is far to great with permanent attachment.If u really dont want to do the leaper delete.then,I think there is a post on here for a removable leaper mod,,think it is under s-types though,just do a quick search under leaper mod's..personally,Im trying to make my leaper and expat's hood delete interchangable,soi have the best of both world's.keep ya posted.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Mister Fox...

Mister Fox:

Maybe you should spend less time in the Henhouse and more time keeping an eye on your pussycat.

If you weld or strongly bond the leaper to the hood, anything that tries to remove it by force (car wash, neanderthal, brother-in-law, ex, stray pedestrian etc.) is going to either bend the hood or become impaled (jaywalker) on the leaper.

I am definitely a leaper fan, and I would never delete it. maybe you can thread a picture-wire through that elasticky cord it is attached with - but whatever you do, if someone/something REALLY wants it off, it is going to come off one way or another.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:23 PM

MeatBag- hahah! guess i should, but hey what can i say, cant get enough of them chicks haha.

Good point. IrishXtype, a removable one would be pretty cool. When i buy my new one ill take a look at how to do that.