Sponsored by:

How-to: Fix Door latch issue/cannot open door FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts
Old 04-13-2018, 10:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, I just recieved an email but all it does is circle me back to the pages with info on the mechanical fixes.
As I have tried all the suggested system I still wonder if some lock/dead lock function must be overidden before the door can open. As the problem seems to have originated as if a contact was faulty I am wondering if there is an electrical switch somewhere .
If there was text in the reply as the email stated, I'm sorry but I cannot find anything new at this end.

Thankyou for the fast reply, I thought it would be midnight in the nortern hemisphere.
Chhers

Old 04-14-2018, 02:59 AM
Veteran Member

Actually 2:"0 a.m. Now

Log into your account first, not just going to web site. Occasionally site is quircky. The link I provided tells the saga of a completely stuck door. Way too lengthy to keep repeating what has already been discussed.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:55 AM

Hi Dell, Excuse this if you have recieved it already, but this is the 4th time of trying to send. It is probably something I'm doing wrong, but I hope you can persevere with me.

Your link shows a door already open, so all the parameters are not relevant.

The photos though show an electrical connector. Any info as to what voltage should be present or what would happen if power was applied ?

I am having difficulty getting the door panel open enough to work inside the door as I have an age related problem with my fingers. tight spaces are difficulkt.

Different threads say a method of removing the door trim is available. I cannot find that . All links take me back to the same series with the door open.

Cheers

Old 04-14-2018, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member

Well the link I provided does show the internal parts that normally fail. I.e. = the rod with the plastic grip who's teeth strip out that actuates the door open. This is the rod that if manually operated by sticking your hand in you can get the latch to open. The rest of the entire discussion in the link talks about door not opening from either side. How he took the seat out to better access taking the interior door panel off. Still to no avail on manually opening the door. Finally he had to power tool cut the latch assembly out and replace it. Unfortunately because of the damage he inflicted on the parts, he could not enlighten us why the entire latch has failed. He has so far been the only one to not be able to get the door open from inside the panel and destroyed the latch to remove it.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member

Btw, the rod pushed DOWN to open the door.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member

Door panel (card) removal discussion/procedure

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...29/#post132944

Old 07-09-2018, 07:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is locksmith be able to remove the door panel ?

Old 07-09-2018, 07:59 AM

Hi Mason, The removal of the door panel does not require the expertise of a locksmith. The job can be done by anyone. If you wanted to pay someone a Panel Shop or Auto Trimmer would be a reasonable type of tradesman.
I removed the passenger seat (RHand Drive car in Australia) Then gradually removed the trim panel BUT I MAY NOT HAVE BEEN ABLE TO IF I HAD NOT HAD PREVIOUS WARNING THE LOCK WAS GOING TO FAIL. THE LOCK STOPPED WORKING AT MY FRIENDS PLACE,AND THEN STARTED WORKING AGAIN. SO I REMOVED THE SELF TAPPERS FROM THE BOTTOM WITHOUT THIS THE REMOVAL MAY HAVE CAUSED DAMAGE. AS IT WAS I MANAGED TO FREE ALL THE CLIPS (I did not break any so they are stronger than the Forum indicates. I was forced to use a hacksaw blade on the forward clip behind the dashboard. The Dash being the biggest obstacle. I was able to get my hands inside by using lumps pf wood to hold the panel away at the opening side. I unfortunately ended up with a 1/2" split at the dash bend area,so take care there.with all clips out it was possible to twist the pnel and gain access to the Lock unit. ALTHOUGH THE FORUM STATED IN OTHER POSTS THAT THE OUTER LOCK WIRE WAS THE ONLY OPENING METHOD THIS IS WRONG, THE CABLE OPENS THE LOCK FROM THE INSIDE. THERE IS ANOTHER POST THAT SHOWS THE LOCK IN PIECES. I removed the screws from the lock mechanism cover and removed the ELECTRIC MOTOR. Again the Forum misled ,because the failure of the MOTOR was the reason the lock would not work. (THIS WORK AREA IS BY MIRROR) Turning the gear wheel was enough to allow the Cable or outer lever to open the door. GOOD LUCK you can do it yourself,just allow a lot of time and perhaps the help of a young person or a girl as small arms and hands would help a lot. My hands are damaged ,so the time could probably bea few hours for a younger person

Old 07-23-2018, 01:15 AM

Thanks Aljay you have described really well about this issue , i am thinking to hire arlington locksmith but now i will go with your suggestion.

Old 09-05-2018, 05:22 AM

Yes definitely locksmith can remove the door panel because they have tools and equipment to remove it. Locksmith Toronto have done this for me.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:06 AM
Default Io ho lo stesso problema su le porte posteriori, se hai risolto aiutami GRAZIE

[QUOTE = Aljay; 1876640] Ciao, ho l'evidente blocco della porta che non funziona, anche se dai post tutti gli altri hanno risolto anni fa. La mia porta non funzionerà ed è chiusa. Ho guadagnato un po 'di accesso incuneando il pannello di rivestimento. Ho accesso al blocco clip BIANCO e al cavo, ma nessuna quantità di spinta ecc. Azionerà il blocco. Poiché il problema è iniziato ELETTRICAMENTE, mi chiedo se esiste una funzione di blocco elettrico che deve essere superata prima che le barre meccaniche ecc. Funzionino. QUALSIASI CLUES PER FAVORE.
Sono in questa fase di rimuovere il sedile dei passeggeri.
Io sono in Australia, guida a così giusto e il mio problema è Passenger (LH) porta
2003 X Type 2.5
Aiuto per favore. [/ QUOTE]

Old 12-26-2019, 05:45 AM

The description at the start of the article is really good and a massive help. I thought I would add my own experience as it may help some owners facing the same problems.

I have used the guide previously and it worked perfectly, however I just had to adjust my lock and this time it still would not open from outside. I ditched the lock shield (what a pain that thing is), to get much better access, however despite multiple adjustments the door will not open from the outside.

The only conclusion I can come to is that the lock latch mechanism itself has failed, so I have ordered a new one. All in all a pretty frustrating experience.