X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jag Xtype won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 01:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Jag Xtype won't start.

My 2004 Jaguar Xtype 3.0 awd won't start. It has been sitting in the driveway since July 2017 without being started. I tried to start it yesterday with no luck, I took the battery to Autozone and they fully charged it. It still won't start, any idea if something needs to be checked / replaced since it sat for 6 month w/o being start? Car ran perfect before parking it.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

We need a little more information to be of help. Won't start got that.
1. Does the starter engage and the engine turn over?
2. Does the starter not engage at all?
3. If the starter engages and turns over does it attempt to fire?
4. If it turns over have you checked for spark and fuel pressure? When the key is on fuel pressure should be about 40 psi and go to about 50 when running.
Help us out with a little more info and we can help you get it fired up.

The following users liked this post:
Norri (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

How old is the battery? Did they do a load test on it?

Fuel filter could be blocked or possibly the fuel itslef could be bad by now after sitting that long in Texas heat.

When you turn the key, but do not try and start it can you hear the hum of the fuel pump for a few seconds?

Old 01-11-2018, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by avern1
We need a little more information to be of help. Won't start got that.
1. Does the starter engage and the engine turn over?
2. Does the starter not engage at all?
3. If the starter engages and turns over does it attempt to fire?
4. If it turns over have you checked for spark and fuel pressure? When the key is on fuel pressure should be about 40 psi and go to about 50 when running.
Help us out with a little more info and we can help you get it fired up.
To begin, thank you so much for replying. The starter engages, it almost starts just doesn't get to the point where it turns over. There's no dragging or clicking sounds, it just doesn't get over the hump of turning over. How do I check the fuel pressure with the key on?

Also is it possible for me to video it trying to start and send it to you personally? I could easily not be explaining what it's doing / trying to do.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:32 AM

To begin, thank you so much for replying. The battery is about is 1.5 yrs old, it's the appropiate Jaguar battery. The car did sit w/o being started through the entire summer. I will check for the sound of the fuel pump engaging next. Is it possible to personally send you a video of what it's doing when trying to start? I could easily be missing something in trying to explain what it's doing.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member

I sent you a private message with my email address.
Try this and let me kknow what happens. Raise the hood and try the start sequence about 6 to 8 times. Then go out and check the battery cables by touch. Is one of them HOT?
Also if you have a multi meter check the battery voltage from on top of the posts and then check it again where each cable mounts to its connector at the wire are the voltage reading the same?
Lastly make sure the readings are above 12.5 volts.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:58 AM

I didn't load test the battery, just had the Autozone guy give it a full charge. Yesterday after trying to start it a few times with no luck. I hooked jumper cables up to it and it appeared to give it a little more thrust / boost but it still didn't turn over.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member

It may sound strange but get a solid piece of lumber and a hammer. Place the wood on the starter and give it a couple of good thumps. Try again to start, if it rolls over good it may be time for a new starter. Use the jumper batter with the attempt to start.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Originally Posted by frontrunning
I didn't load test the battery, just had the Autozone guy give it a full charge.
How many hours was that?

Yes I do mean hours...

Old 01-12-2018, 07:27 AM

I dropped the battery off at Autozone and the guy called me within the hour saying it was fully charged and ready to pick up.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:30 AM

Thanks so much for all of the helpful hints Avern1. I will try everything over the w/e. I know it's something as simply as jarring the starter or putting some type of fuel treatment / injector cleaner in the tank to give an extra boost. It's amazing how lazy one becomes that he can't spend 90 secs every other week to randomly start a parked car.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Originally Posted by frontrunning
I dropped the battery off at Autozone and the guy called me within the hour saying it was fully charged and ready to pick up.
Something wrong if it was flat or fairly flat it can't recharge properly in that time.

Instead they refuse further charge, read as "full" but may be toast...

Old 01-16-2018, 12:34 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just because a battery appears to take a charge and will read 12v, doesn't mean it's a good battery. It's probably shot. Just pull the battery out of another car or a friends car and throw it in yours and see if it starts. That's the easiest way to rule the battery out.

If it starts up with another battery, then your old battery is toast. I've had batteries that I threw on a charger overnight, they appeared to be fully charged, showed a full 12v or more, but couldn't start the car.

If it's only a year and a half, take it back to where you bought it from. Most batteries come with a 2 or 3 year warranty. Even if you don't have a receipt, there should be a sticker on it somewhere with a date.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Plus, it has been sitting for six months without being started....in the Texas sun. That has to take a toll on a battery no matter what the age.