X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar locked up! Please Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jaguar locked up! Please Help!!!!

Let me start by saying that it is very dangerous to text and drive!

I have learned the hard way because I was texting and ran up on the curb. When I did that my undercarriage received severe damage. I cracked the oil pan which I can see and bent the rims which I fixed. However, the car wont start and the wheels are locked to the point where I can' put it in Drive in order to push it. This is preventing me from pushing it in the garage of get it towed. Does anyone out there know what may be the problem? Is there some type of keel switch that I may have due to impact with the curb.

2003 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

Old 10-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

2M, when you say that the car won't start, does the engine turn over and not fire or will the motor not even turn over? If the engine turns over but will not fire, it is very possible that you triggered the shock sensor and this is killing the power to the fuel pump. This will need to be reset.

As for the steering being locked, if you can turn the ignition key to the RUN position and the steering wheel can not be turned, then you have binding of the steering system and this will not improve until the steering system is repaired. If the ignition key can not be rotated to the RUN position, try turning the steering wheel side to side as you attempt to rotate the ignition key. It is possible you have locked the steering wheel and this can cause the ignition key to appear stuck in the OFF position.

As for getting the car out of PARK, if you remove the center console around the shift lever, there is a pushbutton there that you can manually depress which will allow you to shift the car into NEUTRAL which will then allow you to move the car manually. If the car still will not move, then I would be looking very closely at your transfer case. it is very possible that with hitting the oil pan, you also hit the transfer case, cracking it, leading to the drivetrain becoming locked up.

With the statement about the transfer case, depending on how hard you hit the oil pan, it can be possible that you impacted the internals of the engine. So, if you can attempt to start the car, hear the starter engage, but the engine will not spin, I would venture to guess that you bent the lower crank. This will require the engine to be opened up and pieces replaced as necessary.

The more I think about this, the more and more expensive this is sounding. Guess this will be a good lesson for why not to drive and text/talk on a cell phone.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thermo
2M, when you say that the car won't start, does the engine turn over and not fire or will the motor not even turn over? If the engine turns over but will not fire, it is very possible that you triggered the shock sensor and this is killing the power to the fuel pump. This will need to be reset.

As for the steering being locked, if you can turn the ignition key to the RUN position and the steering wheel can not be turned, then you have binding of the steering system and this will not improve until the steering system is repaired. If the ignition key can not be rotated to the RUN position, try turning the steering wheel side to side as you attempt to rotate the ignition key. It is possible you have locked the steering wheel and this can cause the ignition key to appear stuck in the OFF position.

As for getting the car out of PARK, if you remove the center console around the shift lever, there is a pushbutton there that you can manually depress which will allow you to shift the car into NEUTRAL which will then allow you to move the car manually. If the car still will not move, then I would be looking very closely at your transfer case. it is very possible that with hitting the oil pan, you also hit the transfer case, cracking it, leading to the drivetrain becoming locked up.

With the statement about the transfer case, depending on how hard you hit the oil pan, it can be possible that you impacted the internals of the engine. So, if you can attempt to start the car, hear the starter engage, but the engine will not spin, I would venture to guess that you bent the lower crank. This will require the engine to be opened up and pieces replaced as necessary.

The more I think about this, the more and more expensive this is sounding. Guess this will be a good lesson for why not to drive and text/talk on a cell phone.
Looks like I have to replace the transfer case. My next question is how do I do that? Are there any instructions on line?

Old 11-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 2MCHITE
Looks like I have to replace the transfer case. My next question is how do I do that? Are there any instructions on line?
Download the JSIC thing that is at the top of the forum, after that in there are detailed instruction...be fore-warned it is not a weekend job. By the way, Im sorry to hear this, not good to be texting but not worth all the crap you will now have to go through to fix it.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

im thinking you tripped the inertia switch which interupts all kinds of electrical systems when it thinks the vehicle had been in a wreck. its located on the passengers front kickpanel. simply push the button down to reset it. next im not sure if your saying the wheels cant turn because something has jammed them or if you simply cant get the vehicle out of park. if the vehicle will not come out of park check to see if you damaged the shift linkage underneath the vehicle. it has a metal shield to protect it but due to the way you described the hit you may have caused it to be stuck. hope this helps.