X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Expert Solution!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 08:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Expert Solution!

I have a Jaguar X-Type 3.0 Model 2003. While driving it show "Cruise Not Available" on the screen and Jerks most times while in motion. But ceases when on very high speed. Often atimes displays "Gear Box Problem" which disappears later. Please I need your assistance because getting a reputable Jaguar Auto-Mechanic is really a big problem here. Thanks
Clement.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:40 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Clement, unfortunately, you are most likely looking at a throttle body issue. The throttlebody is not cheap to come by either (about $1100 USD, not counting any shipping in your case). If you look on E-bay, they will rebuild your current throttlebody for like $400 plus some in shipping, but then, you are out that car during this time (which would be about a week to two weeks).

What is happening is your throttlebody is not sending the proper signal back to the computer to say that it is in the correct position. Our cars are "drive by wire", meaning there is no physical cable between the gas pedal and the throttlebody. So, when you step on the gas, you are really pushing against an electric switch that senses how hard you are pushing. THis gets fed to the computer which then sends a matching signal to the throttle body to open up that far. Then to make sure the throttle body doesn't go too far, a second signal is sent from the throttlebody back to the computer with its actual position. As long as the signal going to the throttlebody and the signal coming back from the throttlebody match, all is good. When they don't match, that is when you start getting the codes that you are seeing.

just to make sure, you should have gotten the check engine light too. If you can find a store that has a code reader and get the codes read (atleast here in the US, any auto parts store has a code reader that you can rent and use in the parking lot). That will confirm a bad throttlebody.

If you need more help, let me know. Replacing the throttlebody is easy. The only thing I am not sure about is whether the throttlebody has to be matched to the computer. A glance at the Jaguar Technical manual doesn't make mention of any special setup that is required, but then, I couldn't find a section specific to the whole throttlebody, just the position sensor feeding back to the computer.

Hopefully this fixes things for you.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:47 AM

Thermo, Thanks for honest response. However, the auto mechanic that drove the car yesterday said the fuel pump in the tank is not supplying enough fuel hence the repeated jerking movement. Though, I have asked him to come and pick up the car tomorrow to either service the fuel pump or buy a new one. What do u think?
Best Regards.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:07 AM

Hi Thermo, I guess you may be correct about the Throttle Body problem. Its there a way the throttle body can be serviced because I live in Nigeria, its not really easy getting a good jaguar repairer most of their repairs are based on assumption...of course, after parting with a lot of money without a corresponding service. Please I need your help. Thanks

Old 11-29-2009, 05:11 AM

Thermo, sorry for the stress, I learnt Jaguar can replace the throttle body for free! How true is that statement,I dont mind paying the freight charges.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:36 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Clement, since you are outside of the USA, I can not speak for how true or not true this may be. Every country has different laws about what a car manufacturer is required to do for its customers. Now, I seem to recall that there was at one time here a memo put out by Jag admitting that there was a series of bad throttle bodies and if a car with a bad throttle body was brought it, it was to be replaced for free. But, since your car is 6 years old, I don't know if it will still qualify or not.

Now, with that being said, check out http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jagua...Q5fAccessories. They will take your current throttle body and rebuild it for you. Now, they will charge a bit more (about $150 more plus you have to pay for the initial shipping to them), but they will rebuild it for you. That is a cheaper alternative. I don't know if you could get the parts and have your local mechanic rebuild it for you. I'm sure that would be even cheaper yet, but now you 1) have to find the parts, and 2) this is something that he probably hasn't done before, therefore, how good is your mechanic?

The call is yours. I would do a once over of the wiring just to make sure that it is good. A broken wire could possibly cause something like this. Granted, with as new as the car is, this normally is not a problem.

Wish you luck.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:24 AM

do u have the codes that were flagged by any chance ?

Old 12-06-2009, 07:00 AM

I do have the codes but they are not handy at the moment because I am in Kenya at the moment attending a 5-day United Nations course in Nairobi. I will get the codes across, when I get back to Nigeria. Thanks a million for your concern. Cheers
Clem.