Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner of a 2002 X-type, have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner of a 2002 X-type, have some questions

Hi all,

We just bought a used Jaguar X-type. It's a 2002, 3.0 with the sports package, automatic transmission. It's a charcoal color and has 77K miles on it. We live in south Florida. From the carfax it appears the car had only one owner, who recently traded it in.
We've never had a Jaguar before, so it's all new to us. The car is in beautiful condition, at least cosmetically, for the most part. It does have a few little things that need fixing.
In the back, on the driver's side, the cover is missing from the side curtain airbag, or one of the covers. It's right above the rear deck. The airbag workings are exposed. I have no idea what you would call this part other than a "side curtain airbag cover", but I've searched and cannot find anything called that. Does anyone here have any idea where I might find this part online?
Also, there are three anchors on the rear deck, and they have plastic covers. One of the plastic covers is missing. Can't find that online either--must be using the wrong search term.
The passenger side rear speaker (in the door) doesn't work but I'm sure we can figure that out. Any hints for removing the speaker? Do I need to take off the door panel?
I'll attach a photo of the car
Thanks for any helpful hints anyone can give!

Lesa

Attached Thumbnails New owner of a 2002 X-type, have some questions-sajea53c22wc85536_3.jpg  
Old 06-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

very nice i have the 2005 sport.. which looks almost identical to yours same color and all. some parts are hard to find compared to others. try a local junk yard or some of the jag parts advertisers on this site. not sure about airbag part... carseat hook covers are always lost parts on used cars(there is a post on here now about them )door panel has to be removed to remove speaker. hope you enjoy yours much as i do mine

The following users liked this post:
lirn (06-04-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

lirn, welcome to the forums. I think you will find a lot of useful information here. So, keep looking around and you will learn a lot about your car here.

As for the parts you are looking for, the piece that goes over the airbag is called the "C-pillar trim". You ask for that and most of the wrecking yards will know what you are talking about. Worst case, if you tell them the trim piece that goes between the rear window and the side door, they will know that way too. As for the cover on the rear deck, just ask for the "child seat anchor cover". As for finding the part, that is a tricky question. The best advice that I can tell you is to go to your local junk yard and ask them to look in their computer system for a local yard that has a Jaguar similar to yours. Pretty much, if there is a Jaguar X-Type on their lot, the parts you are after will fit. That yard will either be able to tell you where the car is or that they can get the parts to you right there. Most wrecking yards are now on a national system and they will be able to get you a part off of a car in California and have it delivered to your local yard in a few days. The question is whether you will be willing to pay what they want for the part. Unfortunately, the interior trim pieces always seem to get high dollar.

lirn (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 03:01 PM

Thank you!

Old 06-04-2012, 03:02 PM

Thanks so much!

Old 06-04-2012, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

lirn, what color child seat anchor cover do you need. I might have one in my spare parts bin.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Default Carseat latch cover color

Originally Posted by mohrd
lirn, what color child seat anchor cover do you need. I might have one in my spare parts bin.
The car color is "Quartz" and the interior is "Dove".

If you have one I'd be happy to buy it from you!

Old 06-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by lirn
The car color is "Quartz" and the interior is "Dove".

If you have one I'd be happy to buy it from you!
Sorry, I looked and just have the broken one. it's also charcoal. Missing the little door that lifts up to expose the hook.

lirn (06-06-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

lirn, look through e-bay and see if you can spot any wrecked X-Types (should be tons of them). Then send the seller an e-mail that you are interested in a few parts and explain to them which ones you are after. See what they will do for you. I am sure if you are willing to pay something close to what they are willing to sell it for, you will have those parts in no time.

The other site I will tell you to take a look at is Truck Parts - Walt and Vern's Truck Parts - Home. They are a recycler in Buckley, WA. I have used them and they will get you what you are after. I do not know what they may want for the pieces, but their customer service is hard to beat.

lirn (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by mohrd
Sorry, I looked and just have the broken one. it's also charcoal. Missing the little door that lifts up to expose the hook.
Thank you for looking

Old 06-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Default The "piece of trim between the rear window and door"

This is really stumping me. There are a number of folks selling C-pillar trim, but when I look at the photos, that's the trim that goes between the front and back doors. I've Googled like crazy, but it always shows me that piece, and that's not the right piece. I just went out again and took a good look at it. I'm attaching a photo of the trim that's intact on the passenger side. Is it possible it's called something else? (though I've tried lots of different search terms). It says "airbag" on it, but is the side airbag really way back there?

Ok, onto another question. I'm so impressed with this board because you all just seem to be a wealth of knowledge--so glad I found my way here.

The service engine light is on and we were told when we purchased the car that it was an 02 sensor, which is true. I hooked up the code reader and it said P1646, Linear 02 sensor control chip, bank one. So I know from reading some posts on here which sensor that is, and I can see it, it's the one in the rear of the engine compartment with the gray connector. My question is, is replacing that sensor possibly a DIY job or is some kind of special tool needed? Also, I see a huge range of prices for that sensor. I mean like from about fifty bucks to almost 200 bucks. Why is that?

I'm a registered nurse. Human parts are my specialty Car parts are a little more confusing to me!

The mechanic I took my previous car to all these years doesn't work on Jaguars. He says you need special tools and parts. I'm pretty far from the nearest Jaguar dealer.

I'd value your thoughts.

(Please see the photo of the trim part I'm trying to describe)

PS: I LOVE this car! Driving it is just 100% pleasure!

Attached Thumbnails New owner of a 2002 X-type, have some questions-jag3.jpg  
Old 06-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

The JEPC describes the part as D-E post finsher - #5 in the attached pdf.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d-post-cover.pdf (103.6 KB, 667 views)
JimC64 (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by clyons
The JEPC describes the part as D-E post finsher - #5 in the attached pdf.
Thank you

Old 06-07-2012, 05:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  19.3 KB

Link to X type FAQ's - a REAL must read!
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...essories-5915/

step by step door panel removal - there are others as well I'm sure
Step by step door panel removal! - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 06-07-2012, 07:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lirn, I have an 03 X type Sport the same color and I was doing some searching and ran across this ad on craigslist. 2004 Jaguar X type parts for sale its an 2004 X Type, but I believe that they have the parts that you are looking for, contact them and ask them to see if they will ship.

lirn (06-08-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 07:49 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>The mechanic I took my previous car to all these years doesn't work on Jaguars. He says you need special tools and parts. I'm pretty far from the nearest Jaguar dealer.

Well you're in luck, go back to your mechanic and tell him that it isn't really a Jaguar its a rebodied Ford. Same engine as a Lincoln LS, etc.

Brakes, suspension parts, most everything can be obtained for local auto parts stores and replacements are pretty straight forward. Go back to you mechanic for oil and filter changes, etc. He will become more comfortable working on the car once he sees that it isn't a different and specialized as he expected.

But, be fore warned, he will run out of expertise eventually in diagnosing some of the more obscure things. Try to locate a Jaguar mechanic in your area, but when you do, check to see if they understand X-Type since some of them may say "we don't work on Fords" because it is different in a lot of ways from other Jaguars
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

lirn (06-08-2012)
Old 06-09-2012, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by JimC64

Link to X type FAQ's - a REAL must read!
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...essories-5915/

step by step door panel removal - there are others as well I'm sure
Step by step door panel removal! - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

These links are SO helpful. Thank you!

Old 06-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Default Home code reader vs mecahnic's

Hi again,

Took the car to the mechanic today (local foreign car repair place that is vetry highly recommended). The check engine light had been on and when we connected our own code reader we got P1646, Linear 02 sensor control chip, bank one. The mechanic called and said that on their diagnostics they are getting codes for all four sensors, so this means that it's not the sensors at all, but might be an exhaust leak. They are "letting the engine cool down" so they can check some things out. Is it common that their diagnostics would be different than ours? Do they use some different types of code? I don't get it. Anyone have any ideas about this?

Thanks!

Old 06-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Default Car running great now

So, all four oxygen sensors were bad and had to be replaced. Some O rings were replaced, and now the car runs even better-so much more pick-up. I thought it was peppy before but now it's so much better. They were puzzled as to why all sensors would be bad on a car with 77K miles. They didn't really have an answer for that.

Another question: If I replace the headlight switch with one that has the A/B , reset and Ml/KM buttons, will it work? Or is the trip computer and entirely different part? It seems too simple, so I'm guessing it probably is

Thanks,
LIRN