X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New X type owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 03:04 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New X type owner

I've wanted and X type 2.0d estate for a while and finally found a 2005 one with virtually no rust !!! and a non DPF model as well ...yay

It does however have the normal faults that plague the mondeos as well like the ubiquitous turbo faults so I'll be removing and stripping the turbo & actuator possibly fitting a new core Whilst I'm at it..
It's a job I had to do on my old Focus tdci and my wife's Citroen Xsara ..
Still debating whether to decat ... well hollow out the cat weld in a centre pipe keeping the shell to make it pass MOT ..done this on every diesel I've owned and the difference if done correctly is huge ..but we'll see how blocked it is on removal..
Will be removing cleaning and partially blocking the EGR ... again have done this to every car I've owned that had an EGR.... In theory EGR's are a great idea but in practise they always clog up making the car pollute much more than if it never had one.
Also going to fit a silicone pipe kit for the inter-cooler...I'd like to remove the bumper/ inter-cooler and give it a clean I'f I get time..

I think that'll be enough for the first month of ownership .... unless the X-type decides otherwise

I'm amazed at how much nicer the X type drives compared to the mondy its based on....and that's before it gets a suspension/brake overhaul which I always do after buying a car.

I do have one question though....for the moment anyway.
Mine is a Base model estate with little to no extra's fitted which I'm fine with but I would like to fit reversing sensors ... are there any good kits out there... I've fitted some of the cheap eBay kits in the past and they don't seem to last very long..normally the sensors aren't sealed very well and fail due to water ingress.

Old 04-10-2018, 03:42 AM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

HI. Welcome to the forum.
What turbo fault does your Jaguar suffer from? Just curious, and what is the mileage please?

Old 04-10-2018, 04:02 AM

Mainly inconsistent boost pressures and the vane actuator is stiff , on the Mondeo this normally means the turbo simply needs a good clean .. could be done with the old Mr muscle trick ...but that doesn't allow me to inspect and repair any wear in the actuator ring or lever. ... I am 'lucky' as I work as an electrical engineer at a large factory and have access to lathes, mills, welders and so on.
At the moment the motorised actuator drive is working ok ..... Only a matter of time till that goes though...

I am going to try to pick up a cheap Mondy/ Xtype turbo on fleabay so I can recondition it and swap it out ....but if not the Xtype will be off the road for a day or so ... depending on what I find when I open the turbo up....time will tell.

Old 04-10-2018, 04:03 AM

Forgot to say the Xtype is on 116000 miles ... 1 previous owner !!!!

Old 04-10-2018, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts
The following users liked this post:
greenestate (04-19-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 07:32 PM

Thanks I'll have a proper watch in the morning

Old 04-12-2018, 03:25 AM

Well the Xtype did decide it wanted more fixing ... The crank pulley has gone now ... Rattling like bugger ... Looks like previous owner had the tensioner and belt done with out replacing the crank pulley ... Oh well another £30 to spend ..... On a plus point I have managed to get hold of cheap turbo to cleanup and swap out for mine.... wether it needs a new core only time will tell..once it's been delivered ..but good quality turbo cores are only £80 brand new so it's not the end of the world if it does.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

It is always polite 'forum ettiquete' to post an intro about yourself in the New Member Area, your location (if you're not into the stealthy, anonymous thing) and vehicle.....feel free to add a picture or two to show your ride off too, everyone does.

You also might like to drop in to the 'mug shot' thread located in the off topic section where you can see various pics of some of the members and also where you can post up your own.

"Signature" is done under User CP (control panel).

Old 04-13-2018, 04:46 AM

Sorry .....Will do that on my next day off .. 👍