X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil 4 quarts low.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:34 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Oil 4 quarts low.

So I was sifting through the extensive service records provided by the person who owned my X-Type before me, and noticed something written among the notes on one of the many otherwise routine service orders.

It said "Engine Oil 4 quarts low. *Fill with oil and test drive*" The rest of the order was regarding the reason it came in, a bad ignition coil.

So, 4 quarts low at one point, huh? Hmmm. I wish I'd read all the orders, but it's a one owner car with a beautiful CarFax and a detailed service history, so after a quick skim through the orders, I decided, "Hell yeah, this is the right car."

The engine sounds good, with no ticking, clicking, knocking or otherwise, and it runs well. Per date on the order, this event happened more than a year and over 10,000 miles before I bought it. The service history is complete and this person changed oil regularly. Also, it doesn't leak much, so I think this condition came about quickly, such as after a quick lube shop doesn't tighten the oil filter (happened to me a long time ago and I NEVER let other people change my fluids anymore).

Given the above story, and given your knowledge of how much oil this engine (2.5) needs to stay lubricated and how deeply the oil pickup tube sits in the pan, how likely do you think it is that significant damage was sustained to critical engine parts? My thought is that 2 quarts is BARELY enough to lube all the parts, and that this engine was probably saved because the owner was a gentle driver (evidenced by the extremely minimal wear on the mounts and other parts at 152,000 miles).

Last edited by Lubrication; 03-27-2015 at 02:40 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:36 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Lub, as long as the oil pressure light was not on, then everything was getting the oil it needed (regardless of the amount of oil in the pan). Yes, it may sound odd to say that. But, the reason for the oil pressure light setpoint (it is a simple switch that is closed when the pressure is above a certain point) is to make sure that there is enough pressure in the system to reach the furthest point needing oil and still give it adequate oil.

From what you describe about the previous owner, even if the light came on, they would have shut the car off almost immediately and had it towed to the shop for repair. So, I would say that there is nothing to worry about. While having the oil that low is not a good idea, it isn't the end of the world based on what the car is doing now.

The following users liked this post:
Lubrication (03-28-2015)
Old 03-27-2015, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Could it maybe have been .4 quarts low instead of 4? I just find that hard to believe that for a car that sounds like it was so meticulously maintained that if it would lose 4 quarts there would have to be something leaking pretty bad and chances are that would have been fixed and noted in the history. Plus, I would think the car would have been running poorly and would have been in the shop to address that.

Seeing as it was quite a while ago and everything is working well with it, probably not worth worrying about. But I would check that oil level weekly!

Lubrication (03-28-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 01:03 AM

Thanks Thermo, Alfa!

Hey, Thermo, you have a 2003. Can you drain your oil and then just put 2 quarts in? Then put your car through it's paces around town, keeping your eyes peeled for the oil light? I just want to know exactly what my car may have gone through. Thank you so much for doing this for me!!!

Joking of course. Although, if you're curious.....

As far as it really being 4 quarts low, Alfa, it was very clear on the order (toward the bottom it said "4 quarts to get running, 6 quarts to change"). The car was towed in because it was running poorly on a bad coil, so says the order. The oil situation was discovered during the diagnostic. I think maybe a lube shop didn't put the filter on tight enough (happened to me a few years ago, I've since learned not to trust anyone else with my cars).

Last edited by Lubrication; 03-28-2015 at 01:33 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:46 AM
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

i am on my third wife. I use her Escalade ESV to tow our boat to the marina each spring and home each fall. That is the only time I drive that monster.

Last spring before we put the boat in the water, I checked her oil just for ***** and giggles and it just barely registered on the tip of the dipstick. She said it was fine because "the light never came on". We are still married but that was an eye opener. I now check her oil for her every now and then.

The Cadillac seems none the worse for wear. Turned out the leak was due to a filter installed cross threaded at the dealer's service department.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:50 PM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

The system takes 6 quarts so thats not too bad...seen worse.

Lubrication (03-29-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 08:24 PM
Veteran member

Lub, while I haven't done this on my Jag, I know a 5.4L Ford motor runs fine down that low (don't ask how I know). So, like I mentioned before, all should be good. Sounds like the owner did the right thing and all should be good for you.

Lubrication (03-29-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 09:01 PM
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

If it was going to kill anything it would have killed it by now. Usually oil shortage problems kill cams and cam followers first for what I have seen on motorcycles. If it is running smoothly it is fine.

Lubrication (03-29-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 12:31 AM

Thermo, just for 100% clarity, you do know I was joking regarding testing this on your own vehicle for the sake of a random internet stranger, right?

Thanks again for all the replies! I'll stop thinking about it, as it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Last edited by Lubrication; 03-29-2015 at 02:40 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:15 AM
Veteran member

Lub, yes, I know 100% that you were joking. Just had a few experiences in the past with my own "sudden loss of oil". But, that was 20K miles ago on the truck and all is good. I did some research and talked with a few engineers and I learned a little as I went along. Just passing on info that others have learned the hard way.

Lubrication (03-30-2015)