X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0174/Plug Change Checklist, am I missing anything?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 07:12 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default P0174/Plug Change Checklist, am I missing anything?

Hi again, please let me know if my list is missing anything or you have anything to add. 2002 3.0 x-type
I have the dreaded 174 code for along time.(No others)
(issues)Outside temp gauge wrong,AC not working, cruise not avil-weeks later CEL, hesitation after/during gear change @ heavy acceleration, tranny lil fishy at times
I have done maf, pcv hose, o rings, 3 x vac leak check, read every 174 post here numerous times.

So I am going for it, gonna tear down, re-plug, re-gasket.
On my to get list:
TB to intake gasket
pcv valve and hose
between manifold gasket set
imt o-rings
plugs(factory best?)

Is fuel filter anywhere in this area?
Should I get a new gasket for the sensor on top rear of intake?
I have this black plastic box over bank 2 I do not see in any pictures, it is near the pCv valve under the big black cover, what is this? Replaceable?

Does anything come to mind I should address while I have it apart this far?
Any gaskets or important things I missed on my list?

Old 07-05-2014, 10:23 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

innzane, before you start going through all this work, I would first check to see if you have a small rip in the flexible boot just upstream of the throttlebody. It is possible that if you got a rip there or one of the hoses isn't sealing really good, it will cause the vacuum leak you are seeing and result in the code. After that, I would say to do a combination new upper and lower intake seals (there are actually 2 sets of seals, you have the upper plenum seals, and the lower intake manifold seals, both of which are available through your local auto parts store if you tell them that you have the same year Lincoln LS with the 3.0L motor).

If you want some help, let me know. I am south of you in California MD. I am sure we can find a time to get together and figure this out for you. I am always up for some wrenching on a car.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:37 AM

Thanks Chris, I will take the boot off and give it a good looking over.
One other symptom my car has is, it rattles now alot just like when cheap gas is used.
Thanks for the Lincoln 3.0 info, and for the help offer. I have thru Nov to get my emissions taken care of so I am getting a jump on it. I had a Land Rover once and know how bothersome one lil code can be.
I will update, take that boot off after the races today. STINKS Massa got the short straw again today.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:34 AM

Rain delay in race, so I took a look.
Gave it a good cleaning, put light bulb in it an it is in great shape.
Had a lil oxidation or buildup on the TB flange, so I cleaned up all the connections and added some tie wraps on the two small inlets on the side of it.
I give it a good bill of health, but with the lil buildup on the TB I will give it a few cycles and see if any change.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:24 PM

Update, did a smoke check and saw smoke, not sure if normal, asked if so.https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-test-121466/

Think I saw a tiny wisper of smoke coming from under the throttle body, or possibly from the unit on the passengers side of it. Need to stop the other leak to be sure since they are so close.