X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Phantom engine overheating

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Phantom engine overheating

My problem is, on my '02 x-type with a 2.5 and auto trans. the "engine high heat light" and "Cruise Control Not Available" messages appear along with the temperature gauge pegs out on hot. This is after driving around 20 miles. I pull over and turn the engine off for around 15 seconds and upon restarting the system resets itself and I am good for another 10 to 15 miles. Autozone read the codes and showed a code for the engine coolant temperture sensor, which I replaced, to no avail. Any advise on a fix would be appreciated.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:39 PM

My x was doing the same thing and also got the same code to replace the water temp sensor but I checked the water pump and the cooling fan and they were working but then I did a lot of reading and found out that the thermostat gets stuck and so I replaced the thermostat and it worked it hasn't overheated since so try thatm

The following users liked this post:
Richter (02-18-2011)
Old 02-25-2011, 05:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar issue with mine.

I replaced the fan control module but the problem persisted. I then noticed that it was losing water and boiling. Replaced the reservoir tank and it all seems to be good now.

If the tank cap no longer seals or maintains pressure it will overheat.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem with my 02 - I had to replace the thermostat. It was fairly easy to do but the part can be kind of pricey ($50 - from Napa auto online). As far as I know you can't just replace the thermostat, you also have to replace the housing (all one piece). Good luck and I hope you get it figured out.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Banned
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

the temp gauge is a "massaged" signal... it is programmed to point straight up until the engine is just a degree above the too hot threshold, and then it pegs to the red zone.

So, when you pull over, the temp will drop a degree and everything will be back to normal. (until one more degree goes up)

part of the learning about newer cars.. dont always believe even analog gauges... they are managed by computers...

long story short... as stated above, change the thermostat.

BTW, if you had bothered to do a simple search on this forum, you would have found this story already documented.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Default Phantom Engine Overheating

Thank you to all who replied to my request. I have indeed resolved the problem by changing the thermostat. And to sport30, I did preform a search after posting my request and found the information I had requested. This was my first experience (but not the last) in the forum. Lesson learned. Once again thanks to all.

The following users liked this post:
sport30 (03-06-2011)
Old 03-06-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by sport30
the temp gauge is a "massaged" signal... it is programmed to point straight up until the engine is just a degree above the too hot threshold, and then it pegs to the red zone.

So, when you pull over, the temp will drop a degree and everything will be back to normal. (until one more degree goes up)

part of the learning about newer cars.. dont always believe even analog gauges... they are managed by computers...

long story short... as stated above, change the thermostat.

BTW, if you had bothered to do a simple search on this forum, you would have found this story already documented.
Thank you. I did perform the search, but not until after I had posted my question. Lesson learned.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Banned
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Richter
Thank you to all who replied to my request. I have indeed resolved the problem by changing the thermostat. And to sport30, I did preform a search after posting my request and found the information I had requested. This was my first experience (but not the last) in the forum. Lesson learned. Once again thanks to all.
the idea is to make it quicker and easier for you - glad it worked out. When my car did the same thing I scratched my head for a while before I could believe it was the thermostat....