X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about (my) Jag

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 07:11 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Question about (my) Jag

I have a couple questions about my Jag specifically. It's an 04, but I keep reading a lot of references to "early" and "later" 04s. How do I know which I have, and specifically what are all of the differences?

Also:

Mine has a coin holder on the center console, what does that indicate?

Why does mine not have any wood on the steering wheel?

There is no way the dash is real wood. It looks as plastic as can be. So much so to the point of looking cheesy, like a really bad and obvious attempt to make it look like real wood. Yet I've read a few times on here that ALL x-types have real wood dash.

Do I have a PCV valve?

Is auto-sensing wipers standard? I don't think mine has that.

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks!

Old 06-20-2013, 08:14 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Ok, the bad news, unless your's is some weird carry over '03 you don't have traction control and that means that your AWD is "deficient". There have been many discussions of that over the years, but to summarize, without traction control your AWD can lose traction and spin a single wheel. All three differentials are open and all the torque will go the wheel with the least traction. Nothing that you can do about it, however, using the E-Brake has been known to slow/halt rear wheel spin and allow a front wheel to "bite".

Is the steering wheel leather covered? Strange that it doesn't have wood wheel.

Yes, the dash and the panels on the doors is real wood (it's a veneer of course). It wouldn't be a Jaguar otherwise.

If you don't have auto wipers then your right and they probably weren't standard.

Can you give us some more information about your car? What is an MTX? Where are you located? What I said above refers to cars intended for North America.
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 06-20-2013, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by pab
What is an MTX? Where are you located? What I said above refers to cars intended for North America.

MTX = Manual trans. And I'm in North America, DE specifically.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:25 AM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

if you have 2 cup holders in the center console then you should have a "late" model 04, also the steering wheels are laid out differently with the later 04s having the radio and cruise control buttons on the "spokes" of the wheel rather than between them. My 04 (late model) didn't have wood on the steering wheel either (I have a suede wrap now anyway) and I also don't have auto wipers, unless I just don't know how to turn them on if I do. Oh and yes, it is real wood on the dash.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Justink201
if you have 2 cup holders in the center console then you should have a "late" model 04, also the steering wheels are laid out differently with the later 04s having the radio and cruise control buttons on the "spokes" of the wheel rather than between them. My 04 (late model) didn't have wood on the steering wheel either (I have a suede wrap now anyway) and I also don't have auto wipers, unless I just don't know how to turn them on if I do. Oh and yes, it is real wood on the dash.
Yes, I have two cupholders in the center console, and I do have radio and cruise control dials on the spokes- radio and phone on the left and cruise on the right.

So given the above, then it's likely mine is a later 04? Does the VIN help tell when it was made?

Old 06-20-2013, 08:38 AM

I'm sure it does, also if you open the drivers door and look on the side of the dash (I think that's where it is, been a while since I looked) there should be a tag with info on it, it should say when it was built.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:09 PM

According to the label on the door jamb, it was built 03/04 which I guess means March of 2004. So it's an early 04 I guess?

Old 06-21-2013, 07:36 PM

I suppose so, I could be wrong about the cup holders and steering wheel, I guess all 04s got the facelift in the interior.