X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about 2005 X-Type being considered for purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about 2005 X-Type being considered for purchase

Still doing some shopping around and came across a 2005 with 92.000 miles on it. It does have DSC (which is hard to find!). It is a one-owner and was traded in at the same Jag dealership where it was originally purchased. The salesman says all maintenance has been performed exclusively at the dealership and that the car is in pristine condition. Asking price is $9900. If all of the above is true, does that seem like a fair price? It seems high for what I've seen for similar years and miles on AutoTrader and Cars.com.

Also, should I hesitate at an X-Type with nearly 100,000 miles? If well maintained, are they good to go beyond 100k?

Old 01-12-2015, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Personally, I would think $5K-$6K if it is that clean. $10k? Way too high. If it was babied by someone and had everything by the book done at the dealer maybe a little more. Hard to say without actually seeing the car in person. How long has it been on their lot? If it has been quite a while you might have some additional leverage. You can always raise your asking price.

AS for being good over 100K I would say yes. If it is maintained and the fluids changed regularly pretty much any car today will be very reliable over 100K miles. Mine has 145K and the engine and transmission are very smooth. I wouldn't worry about it.

The following users liked this post:
Jmg32 (01-12-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Personally, I would think $5K-$6K if it is that clean. $10k? Way too high. If it was babied by someone and had everything by the book done at the dealer maybe a little more. Hard to say without actually seeing the car in person. How long has it been on their lot? If it has been quite a while you might have some additional leverage. You can always raise your asking price.

AS for being good over 100K I would say yes. If it is maintained and the fluids changed regularly pretty much any car today will be very reliable over 100K miles. Mine has 145K and the engine and transmission are very smooth. I wouldn't worry about it.

Great, thanks! Yeah, I was thinking around $6K-$7K, based on the prices I had been seeing. No prices or pics had been listed yet, so when he said $9900 I was a little shocked.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:57 PM
Jac
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Even if it is in excellent condition, that's more than twice the price of Kelly Blue Book value.

The following users liked this post:
Jmg32 (01-12-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jac
Even if it is in excellent condition, that's more than twice the price of Kelly Blue Book value.

Cool, thanks. Yeah, I knew the price was high but not double KBB. Sheesh. I emailed the guy back and said $9900 was over our budget and he never replied, so doesn't seem like he's budging.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:05 AM

They finally listed the price and it's $11,995...for a 2005 with nearly 93K miles. That's $2000 more than he initially quoted me. Unless I'm missing something, as the previous poster commented, this is way more than KBB. It's at a Jag dealership so I'd expect it to be priced a little more than market I guess, but not more than double and then some.

Last edited by Jmg32; 01-15-2015 at 05:07 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Probably best to go in there In person with your research and data and get a feel just what they are willing to do. Sounds like a very nice car, but in the end it is a used car with a market value. And if it doesn't work out and you aren't in a hurry, just keep searching and eventually the right one will come along. If it is in that good of shape or you like it that much it's up to you to put a value on any premium you will or won't pay.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:56 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

As for your question about are they good to go past 100K, the answer is, probably. The probability increases with good maintenance and a bit of luck. But, it you are worried you should look into an extended powertrain warranty (maybe 2 yrs?) that you can get through the dealer.

The cost of a warranty could be folded into the purchase price. But it sounds like this dealer needs a reality check.

Last August I was looking for a car and went by a dealer that had two impalas for sale. I thought the price on each was too high. Looked them up the other day and they are still for sale, but at more reasonable prices. I'm not sure how long dealers will sit on a car before they get realistic about the price, maybe someone else has a better idea on that.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by sawduster
As for your question about are they good to go past 100K, the answer is, probably. The probability increases with good maintenance and a bit of luck. But, it you are worried you should look into an extended powertrain warranty (maybe 2 yrs?) that you can get through the dealer.

The cost of a warranty could be folded into the purchase price. But it sounds like this dealer needs a reality check.

Last August I was looking for a car and went by a dealer that had two impalas for sale. I thought the price on each was too high. Looked them up the other day and they are still for sale, but at more reasonable prices. I'm not sure how long dealers will sit on a car before they get realistic about the price, maybe someone else has a better idea on that.

Thanks for the input on the 100K mile issue.

From what I've seen, dealers generally, though not universally, drop the price some after every 30-60 days. It's a volume business, of course, and turnover is king so the longer a car sits, the more money they lose. However, I saw an X-Type the other the day that had been listed for 283 days with no price drop. I contacted the dealer and they didn't budge on the price...nor would they concede that it was priced high, even though they'd been sitting on it for nearly a year. I don't know entirely how it works, but I've seen some drop the price by $1000 or more after 30 days, while others drop it more incrementally. I suppose they probably factor in how much interest they've received on the car. If nobody's even nibbled on it, I imagine they'd drop the price more drastically.

As you said, this dealer needs a reality check. I'll be interested to follow it and see how quickly it sells or if the price drops. If there's someone who is willing to pay more than double KBB, then kudos to the dealer. I honestly can't say in all the car shopping I've ever done that I've ever seen a car priced at more than double KBB.