X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about my 2002 X-Type 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 11:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about my 2002 X-Type 3.0

New member here. Thanks for such a great resource. I am having several issues with my X-Type and would appreciate any comments / feedback that anyone might have.
  • Transmission – I had the transmission rebuilt about 9 months ago. All seems to run relatively well however on ocassion it just seems like the transmission is searching for a gear. There doesn't appear to be any slippage but more like a hesitation. Is there an electronic component that governs the shifting? It's an annoying issue although not occuring all the time. If I have to bring it into the dealer,I would like to understand the potential issues.
  • Keyless entry – Both of my key fobs will not open the doors when I press the open button (same with the trunk). I tried re-programming and received the appropriate alarm system chimes but no success. It seems strange that both fobs would stop working at the same time. Is there another component in the car that receives this signal that may be faulty?
  • Rear back up sensors – there is no audible sound provided when I am backing up close to a vehicle. It appears that the sensors are working (I can hear the clicking for each sensor) but just no warning sound. I have seen others with this issue but unfortunately am not clear on where this back up sensor module is located within the trunk.
As an FYI – it seems that both 2 & 3 occurred not too long after I replaced the battery (I also had to replace all the speakers in the car)

One other note, I would like to find out if anyone knows a reliable and knowledgeable Jag mechanic (non dealer)in the San Francisco Bay Area (San Jose)

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks,

Paul

Old 06-05-2010, 08:52 PM

All,

Just wanted to follow up to see if anyone could provide any advice on my questions below. I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Paul

Old 06-06-2010, 05:27 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

PJ24, as for your tranny issue, there is a pressure control valve that is associated with our trannies that regulates the fluid pressure, allowing for more of a snappy shift or a sluggish shift (more for cruising comfort since the gear will not be "slammed" into place. It is possible that this pressure control valve is sticking and it is causing the tranny to have a hard time shifting gears, which would lead to your problem. Since you seem to make it sound like it is happening with all the gears, not just a select set of gears (say going from 2nd to 3rd), that rules out the individual gear solenoids.

As for the backup sensor issue. What you need to do is to open up the trunk and put your back on the floor of the trunk. Look up at the shelf where the rear speakers are. You will see a black box on your right side. That is the back up sensor control module and there is a speaker located inside that box. Now, this assumes you have the 4 door sedan, not the estate (station wagon).

As for your keyfob problem. Your issue can be caused by 2 issues more than likely. You can either have a bad external antenna or one of your door lock solenoids is sticking. You can rule out the door locks by simply locking the doors like you have been and afterwards, attempting to open each door. If a door opens, you know the locking mechanism has some binding in it and needs to be corrected (common issue with our cars). As for proving the antenna good, odds are, unless you are involved in the electronics industry and have some higher end test equipment at home, proving the antenna good is going to be difficult. A check that you can try is opening the hood of the car and then locking the doors (manually push each door lock closed). Then with the help of a second person, have them hold the keyfob between the strut tower and the windshield on the passenger side (down into the engine bay just slightly-the computer is located right there) and then attempt to unlock the doors. If that works, then that proves an antenna problem. But, this can be hit and miss based on where the antenna is broken and how sensitive the receiver is inside the computer.

Hope this all helps.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Another thought on the tranny, I had a similar issue with my 02 X several years ago, went to the dealer and they installed some type of flash upgrade to the tranny ECU. You may want to inquire about that with your dealer, they may be able to look your car up and determine if this has already been done or not.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:18 PM

Thermo, Chris X,

Thanks so much for tips. I'll run through your suggestions and let you know how things work out.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:18 PM

Thermo, Chris X, All,

Latest update

In regards to the backup sensor - when I am in the trunk, there was only one large enclosure spanning most of the rear shelf. (I have a picture but cannot upload). I removed the shelf (5 hex nut bolts) and this revealed only two main speakers in a somewhat sealed evironment. It appears that I can dis-assemble by removing 20 or so screws but I am hestitant until I can confirm that this may house the backup sensor control module and speaker. Are you familiar with this type setup? (This is a 4 door sedan)

For the key fobs, I tried both test but did not get any results. It seems that I will need to go to the dealer for this.
Or if anyone knows a good Jag mechanic in the San Jose, CA area.

Thanks again.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  19.3 KB

PJ24....Full access granted...Please post any pics that may help in diagnosing this issue further.
I'm sure Thermo / Chris and some of the guys will be able to assist further....check out the regional section for techs in that area that may help

Old 06-12-2010, 11:24 PM

Thank you Jim! Attached is a picture of the speaker enclosure.

Questions about my 2002 X-Type 3.0-speaker-enclosure.jpg

Old 06-13-2010, 05:53 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

PJ, sorry about that, got my cars mixed up and was running off of memory. Yes, the box you have a picture of is the subwoofer box that comes stock with the car (upgraded sound system only). The parking aid module is located in the spare tire well. If you lift up the carpeting in the trunk of your car, on the left side of the tire well you will see a computer module. That is your parking aid module. That will have your speaker that you are looking for that makes all your beeps.

I guess that will teach me to run off of memory as I get older. Gotta love suffering from half-timers vice alzhiemers. He he he he.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:23 AM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Here are some TSBs for you to help with diagnosis and repair.

bob gauff

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
XT501-07.pdf (184.2 KB, 164 views)
XT501-10am.pdf (62.4 KB, 157 views)
XT501-22.pdf (23.7 KB, 182 views)
XT501-23.pdf (27.1 KB, 155 views)
Old 06-13-2010, 03:31 PM

Thermo,

No worries. Many thanks for your help!

Motorcarman,

Thank you for the service bulletins.

Once again, I'll advise as to the progress.

Thanks,

Paul