Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random Car Unlocking Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 02:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Random Car Unlocking Issue

Hi

I have an unusual lock issue on my 2006 X type estate.

This problem is that the car occasionally activates the door lock solenoids after the engine is shut down after a random period of time. A similar effect can be created by removing the ignition key while the car is unlocked and pressing the key fob's lock and then unlock button. The lock solenoids make a noise but the car still stays unlocked. The pattern is always the same, the keys must be in the ignition for this to happen as outlined below:

a) Car is unlocked as normal via the key fob.
b) Car is started and driven.
c) Car is parked, gear leaver is moved to "P".
d) Engine is shut down by moving the ignition key to the "ACC" or "OFF" position. I can't be sure which position the issue occurs as it doesn't happen every time the car is driven. The key is always in the ignition lock when the issue occurs though.

Now sometimes, from between 5 seconds and several minutes, all four door locks make a noise. If the car is unlocked and I'm sat in the car I see all 4 doors lock and then unlock. The locks move from the open position to the closed position and back to the open position, as if a lock then unlock command had been sent from the key fob. The key is still in the ignition at this time and my hand is nowhere near the key. The indicators do not flash though, so I don't think the key fob is somehow activating the locks. If the key fob buttons are pressed when the key is in the ignition the locks do not activate either so I don't think the command is coming from the key fob too. The issue never occurs when the engine is running, it is only after an engine shut down and the keys are in the ignition. The fault changed slightly today though in that I parked the car, shut the engine down and the door locked itself while the keys were in the ignition in either the "ACC" or "OFF" position. I was sat in the driver's seat and I saw the interior door locks move about 10 seconds after I stopped the engine. Luckily I was in the car at the time as otherwise I could of been locked out. The issue occurs about every 10 times I shut the engine off in a random pattern. The battery voltage is also fine. I had the car connected to SDD but no errors were shown.

Incidentally I have disabled the auto lock feature on the car some time ago, so the car doesn't lock when I drive away. If the unlock occurred at the same time after a few seconds of engine shut down I would think it was auto lock cancelling but the time period is very random and doesn't occur every time I shut the car down. I've had no issues with locking or unlocking the car from the key fob either. I've put a new battery in my key fob but this made no difference. Apart from this issue the door locks al work fine, I can lock the car from the front interior door lock handles and via a key in the drivers door.

Any ideas on what I can try next are appreciated!

Thanks

Old 06-06-2016, 06:57 AM

I've just been reading the workshop manual and I found a section on door locks that states:

"If an attempt is made to lock the vehicle from either front doors through the driver or passenger interior door handles, when a door, hood or luggage compartment is ajar, will result in all doors being locked and then unlocked".

This is similar to what I see on my car's locks. However I'm not trying to lock the car, no doors are open and I see no indication on the dashboard that any door are open. The car interior light works correctly for every door too. This might be a read herring but the lock then unlock process is what I see and is also the only mention I've found of this action in the workshop manual.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:48 AM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Hi Eric. My fist thought is possibly a battery problem. What voltage is in your battery, should be 12.4 or more.
How old is the battery.

Roger

The following users liked this post:
Eric.Desmond (06-09-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rchiv
Hi Eric. My fist thought is possibly a battery problem. What voltage is in your battery, should be 12.4 or more.
How old is the battery.

Roger
Hi Roger

Thanks for your help.

The battery voltage, measured via a fluke on the terminals with battery connected to the car, no loads on and the ignition off is 12.6v. The battery is about 18 months old.

Cheers

Old 06-08-2016, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

How many keys do you have? If more than one(You really should have) then use the other key for a while. I have found random issues like this can be caused by faulty switches within the key fob. You may want to open it and clean it out and blow it out with a can of compressed air.

The following users liked this post:
Eric.Desmond (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
How many keys do you have? If more than one(You really should have) then use the other key for a while. I have found random issues like this can be caused by faulty switches within the key fob. You may want to open it and clean it out and blow it out with a can of compressed air.
Hi

Thanks for your help.

I have two keys for the car, one original and one is original with a replacement keypad. Both keys exhibit the issue I see.

Thanks