Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove & Replace Radiator ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 02:28 AM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Arrow Remove & Replace Radiator ?

Hello to all.....
I believe I may be in the market for a replacement Radiator - having determined that the small leak I have (50-100ml per hour of operation) shows coolant dripping from the gap at lower L/H edge of Fan Shroud - where the shroud sits against the bottom of the Radiator. Its not possible to pinpoint or witness the precise location of the leak - without removal of Radiator & Shroud Assy.

My Query are;
Does anyone know if the Radiator installed in the X-Type is the same Radiator installed in the Ford Modeo ? I ask this because I suspect a Ford part will be way more economical to buy as new.

OR

Is our X-Type Radiator just a common generic Radiator that may well be available at almost any Radiator Repair shop?

All assistance - warmly appreciated.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:25 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

My local independant sourced and replaced my radiator with no problem after the same as you I had what seemed to be a small leak from somewhere at the front. So I am guessing a generic radiator is available.. my only comment is that your original radiator has foam on either side of it to force airflow through the radiator itself rather than through and round it - this foam ages badly (OK, OK so it was 10 years old at the time lol) and is not replaced or fitted with a replacement radiator - some say this can lead to overheating - but whilst my fans cut in more in jams, hot weather, or very short trips than they did before, I have not any overheating issues at all..

The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (09-29-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 05:40 AM
Arrow

Originally Posted by SteveSheldon
My local independant sourced and replaced my radiator with no problem after the same as you I had what seemed to be a small leak from somewhere at the front. So I am guessing a generic radiator is available.. my only comment is that your original radiator has foam on either side of it to force airflow through the radiator itself rather than through and round it - this foam ages badly (OK, OK so it was 10 years old at the time lol) and is not replaced or fitted with a replacement radiator - some say this can lead to overheating - but whilst my fans cut in more in jams, hot weather, or very short trips than they did before, I have not any overheating issues at all..
Hi Steve,
Thank you for your comment.
Yes, The foam rubber you mention is also glued to the under side of the Radiator to act as a baffle and prevent airflow under the Radiator and prevent air to bypass it. (much like the purpose of the Fan Shroud above)
In this instance the slow, slow drip of coolant collects in the open cell foam which eventually becomes totally sodden like a saturated sponge and it may take weeks of dripping before Coolant then dribbles from the sodden foam rubber strip to exit along any horizontal path to finally fall from the car to the floor. The coolant taking the least path of resistance - this may show up as apparent coolant leaks in several places - along the edge of lower bumper cover. (most misleading at first)

So the key here (for anyone with this problem) is to get the car up onto Ramps or Stands, remove the lower valance cover in order have a thorough clean-up of the underside. Only then top-up the Coolant level and run the Engine up to Temp & Pressure to try observe where the leak eminates.

Well thats exactly where I'm at right now....
I have emails into a national Radiator Repairer and also a Used Part supplier... for pricing and availability of a replacement Unit.

I would like to have a tested replacement unit on hand... before I go pulling out the existing Radiator.

I have one question for anyone who has 'direct experience' with this remove and replace process;
How much clearance is required between garage floor and installed Radiator - to facilitate dropping the Radiator out from below the car ?

All assistance in this process and remarks of 'personal experience' - much appreciated.

Last edited by Lcgi; 09-29-2014 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Corrected my Grammar
Old 09-29-2014, 08:47 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

When mine was done they also resealed the water pump and it worked out about £500 if I remember

Lcgi (09-29-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 08:58 AM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default R and R

It's not that hard to remove. Just be careful of the radiator support bracket as these bolts tend to rust over and not easy to remove and usual bust off. Easy to cut off and replace if you had to. Anyway if you ramp the car, that will give you enough room to drop the radiator. I usually drop it down and pull it out the grille hole. I also remove the bumper for ease of access, and so I don't scrach the paint. If any questions you can pm me and we can take it from there. For me to take out a radiator usually takes about 35 to 45 min depending on the bolts.

Good Luck,
The Dr!

Lcgi (09-29-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 05:48 PM
Arrow Update: Dealer OEM Price

Originally Posted by Dr dome
It's not that hard to remove. Just be careful of the radiator support bracket as these bolts tend to rust over and not easy to remove and usual bust off. Easy to cut off and replace if you had to. Anyway if you ramp the car, that will give you enough room to drop the radiator. I usually drop it down and pull it out the grille hole. I also remove the bumper for ease of access, and so I don't scrach the paint. If any questions you can pm me and we can take it from there. For me to take out a radiator usually takes about 35 to 45 min depending on the bolts.

Good Luck,
The Dr!
Hi Doc,
Thank you for your contribution and offer of support with the R & R.
I just got the local dealership price for New OEM Radiator...... (ouch)
it was quoted at; AUD $650.00 - and is ex-stock.

Still waiting on other Pricing on a new generic Radiator (I'm hopeful)
But no luck with search for USED Radiator (none seem to be available just now)

Stay Tuned.........

Old 09-29-2014, 06:40 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

How much do you want to spend Larry, here's a new one for $370 delivered to your door

Jaguar X Type Auto Genuine Behr Radiator | eBay

Old 09-29-2014, 07:08 PM
Arrow Further update on local Prices

Originally Posted by Cambo351
How much do you want to spend Larry, here's a new one for $370 delivered to your door

Jaguar X Type Auto Genuine Behr Radiator | eBay
Hi Cambo,
Many thanks for your interest and the link to eBay source.

For added information I have just received a Quote from Red Devil Radiators
for supply only of New Radiator - for AUD $490.00 (with 2yr warranty)
They also quote me AUD$300.00 to remove and replace the existing unit with the above new unit. (I'm tempted) However, being a 64 y.o pensioner and on disability support - I think the wife may have an influence on the final choice as I'm sure she wants me around at Xmas.

But I do appreciate your contribution today - Thanks.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:48 PM
Arrow Heres the Jaguar Worksop Manual Pages for Cooling System Service

Hope the attached helps anyone else - who wants to R & R their Radiator or other related Cooling System components.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Cooling System Pages.pdf (1.53 MB, 1103 views)
Old 09-30-2014, 04:03 PM

Its a shame your so far. I have a good used one I could send you with only 65k on it. I am sure the shipping would be crazy

Old 09-30-2014, 04:58 PM
Arrow

Its a shame your so far. I have a good used one I could send you with only 65k on it. I am sure the shipping would be crazy
Thanks Doc,
Yeah Freight from USA would be expensive particularly if I wanted to get it delivered reasonably soon (2-3 days). Otherwise it would take 2 weeks to arrive here. The other factor is my existing Unit is 10 years old and as such has reached the end of its working life. Not sure how old your 65K unit is - but that is the key factor rather than mileage.
So far the eBay priced Radiator (AUD$390) with free delivery (ex-Sydney) kindly provided here by Cambo - is looking to be the option to take.
However, I do have one more Quote coming - due before noon today (4 hrs)
Will keep you posted - which way I eventually go.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:52 PM

Mine came out of an 07. No matter what way you go , its a rather easy fix to do yourself. an hour tops in and out if your good with cars. If not maybe 2 hours. At least your time is free. Then after you can take your wife out for a nice dinner. A lot less then the 300 they want to do it.

Good luck,
The Dr!

Lcgi (09-30-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 11:12 PM
Thumbs up Update - New Radiator arrives

OK.... the new Radiator (eBay) has just been delivered (via free Courier) and took less than 24 hrs from despatch. (interstate NSW)

I just checked the package for possible in-transit damage - but all appears Good.

I have attached the instructions/brief that came with the Radiator Unit - which makes for an interesting read - for all the folks here.

Will commence the R & R process.... within next 24 hrs.

(so stay Tuned)

Attached Thumbnails Remove & Replace Radiator ?-radiator-brief.jpg  
Old 10-03-2014, 02:12 PM
Arrow Quandry: Distilled v Demineralised water ??

Reading the attached file above......

Whilst 'Distilled Water' is specified by the above Radiator Manufacturer - for 50/50 mix with Coolant, I find I am only be able to practically obtain 'Demineralised Water' - which is of lesser quality. (only mechanically filtered)

Does anyone have an opinion on the risk of premature erosion of the Radiator Core (ALUM) by electrolysis - created by residual components in Demineralised Water ?

Last edited by Lcgi; 10-03-2014 at 02:16 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 10-03-2014, 02:35 PM
Default water

If your worried about that, just buy that water and boil it. Or just buy the 50/50 antifreeze from the store....

Old 10-03-2014, 05:35 PM
Arrow

If your worried about that, just buy that water and boil it. Or just buy the 50/50 antifreeze from the store....
Hi Doc,
I guess I want to maximise the life of the New Radiator and not have to go through all this again. The existing Radiator has lasted 10 years so I want the same potential which should then see out the remaining life of the Car.

I had not come across the said 'Distilled Water" criteria before nor the apparent consequences and was interested to see how others here may have dealt with that?

If I go to the Auto-parts store - all they have available is; a) Concentrated Coolant for mixing and b) Demineralised Water - to mix with.
Is this the case in your part of the world ???

Simply boiling Demineralised Water without also collecting & condensing the vapour back to liquid into another vessel - would do nothing to remove any residual elements - eh. To make 5 Litres of distilled water at home - will take a lot of time and inconvenience !!

I even tried a local Pharmacy for Distilled Water thinking there could be medicinal uses or need for it (nebulisers etc.) but was unsuccessful there too.

I will commence the Radiator R & R exercise - later today....

Old 10-03-2014, 06:24 PM

Hey LgCi,
No they have 50/50 pre mixed and pure antifreeze. Here are a few important points to note regarding coolants:
  1. Use the correct coolant specified for the vehicle. Coolants are selected to suit the vehicle. The requirements for aluminium and copper brass radiators are different and a common coolant may not suit. The radiator is not the only part of the coolant system and some coolants may have been selected to protect other parts of the cooling system.
  2. Use the correct concentration of coolant. Coolants for aluminium radiators are mainly composed of ethylene glycol but also contain chemicals to protect the cooling system. High-ethylene glycol content will actually reduce the heat rejection performance of the cooling system*. This results in the engine running hotter than normal when the thermostat is fully open.
  3. Always use good quality water to blend with the coolant. Distilled water, demineralised water or rain water are the preferred options. Many town water supplies contain high concentrations of chemicals, such as salts, that are very damaging to an aluminium radiator.
  4. Do not mix coolants. Many coolants use different chemical systems and combining them may neutralise the effect of the chemical protection.
  5. Replace the coolant at the specified intervals. During service the ethylene glycol eventually deteriorates and becomes acidic. This acid will attack the internal oxide coating on the aluminium and lead to corrosion.
I did find your answer from denso.com

Hope this helps,
The Dr!

Old 10-03-2014, 06:52 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

You can almost always find distilled water in food stores or the big box store...check the area around infant formula!

Old 10-03-2014, 07:03 PM
Arrow

Originally Posted by wa3ra
You can almost always find distilled water in food stores or the big box store...check the area around infant formula!
Hi wa3ra and The Doc,
Yeah, I already been there and done that.... But, I have now had a response from the Radiator supplier on the question Radiator Warranty and use of; Distilled v's Demineralised - Water and here that is;

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
New message from: newqualityradiators:

No your warranty will not become void if you use the Demineralised Water.

We specify distilled water as we are also trying to extend the life of your radiator however Demineralised should be fine as long as your system is clean.

With the mixing of coolant do not go over the 50/50 ratio and if anything make it slightly under on the coolant side.

It sounds like you are following all the instructions so hopefully your radiator will last you.

Regards
Eric

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••

So I'm happy now..... and looking forward to the Radiator R & R task ahead.

Last edited by Lcgi; 10-03-2014 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Punctuation errors
Old 10-03-2014, 10:26 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

That's OK...just picked up a few gallons a few minutes ago for a flush and rill tomorrow; two different brands, both marked 'distilled'.

Checked the one brand, "MINERALS ADDED FOR TASTE"! Taster means more than a trace, magnesium, phosphorus, and calcium chloride. It is a DAMN good thing I never picked this up when my son was a baby! He has kidney issues (had a transplant a few years back, at 5, he's 9 now) The amounts in that water would have put him in the hospital before the first gallon was gone...and he was taking 5400ml a day back then!

Luckily, the other is pure distilled water.

It make a big difference; my Chrysler T&C minivan is now 15 years old, and the radiator is still like new inside! As a mater of fact, I replaced the water pump due to failed bearings last year, the impeller was still like new!

I'll wager that our kitties like clean water, too!

Quick Reply: Remove & Replace Radiator ?