X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rubbing noise in suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile rubbing noise in suspension

Monday, three friends I went to college with, one of which I grew up with came to see me. They drove 250 miles from south NJ for a day visit. Now that's friends.

Anyway we went to lunch in my car, on the way home I was going down a short hill that had "wave" bumps is the best way I can describe them. I heard a noise in the rear of the car, it sounded like rubber rubbing on metal. This was the first time I had any passengers in the back and never heard this noise until I had a load on the suspension. My first thought was the controlling arms from the body to the axle. Think I got a problem? This AM I had service done at Jaguar, oil change, inspection of fluid, etc. I ask them to check the suspension. They asked me what the problem was and I told them the above. After the work was done I said did you look at the suspension? The service writer said yes the tech did a check and everything looked good. I know this is not correct as the bushings on the front swaybar are bad, so I am thinking they didn't check the suspension. The service order did say suspension OK.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Can you get someone to stand on the back bumper and get the car bouncing while you sit inside to see if you can hear it? Maybe able to isolate it better that way.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Smile Suspension

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
Can you get someone to stand on the back bumper and get the car bouncing while you sit inside to see if you can hear it? Maybe able to isolate it better that way.
Yes I could, but the rear bumper as is the front bumper are made of plastic, do you think they would hold the weight of a man?

Old 10-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you hear it when your braking?? I might be having the same issue..

Old 10-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Lueb
Yes I could, but the rear bumper as is the front bumper are made of plastic, do you think they would hold the weight of a man?
Stand in the trunk?

Old 10-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Smile Noise

Originally Posted by BlackJag914
Do you hear it when your braking?? I might be having the same issue..
No

Old 10-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Smile Noise

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
My son sat on the trunk and bounced up and down. I sat in the driver's seat. I could barely hear a noise, not the rubber sound but a metal on metal noise. Also, I noticed sitting in the driver's seat with your feet on the ground if you bounce up and down on the seat you hear this metal noise. My Mercedes use to do this, I got different answers from several shops, but no one came up with a fix.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Every X-Type I put on my lift I put a dab of rubber grease on the handbrake cables that go through the grommet on each side near the control arms. They will make creaking noises.

Also check for BENT radius control arms because people put jacks or lift arms too far inboard and rearward and the control arms hit the lifting devise and bend. They are thin steel and can be RE-BENT back into place.

bob gauff

Old 10-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Lueb
Monday, three friends I went to college with, one of which I grew up with came to see me. They drove 250 miles from south NJ for a day visit. Now that's friends.

Anyway we went to lunch in my car, on the way home I was going down a short hill that had "wave" bumps is the best way I can describe them. I heard a noise in the rear of the car, it sounded like rubber rubbing on metal. This was the first time I had any passengers in the back and never heard this noise until I had a load on the suspension. My first thought was the controlling arms from the body to the axle. Think I got a problem? This AM I had service done at Jaguar, oil change, inspection of fluid, etc. I ask them to check the suspension. They asked me what the problem was and I told them the above. After the work was done I said did you look at the suspension? The service writer said yes the tech did a check and everything looked good. I know this is not correct as the bushings on the front swaybar are bad, so I am thinking they didn't check the suspension. The service order did say suspension OK.
Adam you need to lubricate the handbrake cable. It is somewhere near the rear passenger area. My jag dealer did it for free!

It's a squeeqy sound that seems to come from the passenger rear side....

It's a normal maintenance task.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Smile Noise in suspension

I will have my mechanic lubricate the ebrake cable and have him check for a bent arm. Thanks for the information.