X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sat nav update

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 12:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sat nav update

I've got the latest 2012 Sat Nav DVD disc but this seems to be the final version.

If more recent updated mapping is available for other vehicles why not then the " X" type?What is technically involved in incorporating map updates for the Denso DVD system?

Hope someone can explain.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

The car was discontinued. With a shrinking market and few buying upgrades... that's why they stopped doing nav updates. No-one appears to do them any more so if you need them look for an alternative e.g. smartphone.

The following users liked this post:
solostax (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 02:34 AM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Also newer models used a different system.
Looks very much as if our Sat Nav system is now next to useless.

Thank you Jaguar.

solostax (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 03:39 AM
Default Still need an answer

Thanks jagv8 and dunks for the replies but my question was, why can't an up to date mapping data base (which is available for any device bought today)be also available for our denso DVD drive? It's not as if the raw updated data is alien to this system. Just what is the big problem?
Regular updated DVDs are on sale for many other vehicles. Perhaps some IT savvy computer geek might be able to help. So to recap, if they updated the data from 2008 to 2012 why can't somebody else update it to 2017? It's not like they have to start from scratch, the info is already out there.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:49 AM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Sat Nav

I see now where you are coming from.

Find your geek, get it done please. Buy the CDs at cost and sell them on to us all. A fortune there just waiting to be made.

solostax (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by solostax
why can't an up to date mapping data base (which is available for any device bought today)be also available for our denso DVD drive?
In theory it can be but someone who probably wants a lot of money to do it owns the data.

solostax (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

These cars have been out of production about 9 years now. They never sold in particularly high numbers to begin with and sales declined as the years went on. So, with more and more of them going out of commission each year, the total pool of cars that could benefit from an updated map goes down. In addition, out of that small pool, not that many came with navigation in the first place. Then, out of that even smaller pool, what percentage of the owners would care enough to pay to upgrade the maps? What I am saying is that the main reason no one updates them is there is no money in doing it anymore.

solostax (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 06:11 PM

Alfadude Thanks for the input.
Perhaps I'm taking for granted that in this day and age of hackers, programmers ,and a younger generation that have a deep understanding of computer data manipulation, the task of transferring bang up to date Sat Nav data to a DVD would be mere child's play.
Although I'm not advocating software piracy I can imagine some entrepreneur could quite easily buy the latest Sat Nav data for pennies and have it copied in the right format to a DVD that would be usable in our drives.As such the relationship of production effort versus revenue would be profitable.Instead of relying on the "free" latest mapping (Google Maps)I'm sure there are still thousands of potential customers who would willingly pay say £20 for a professionally created DVD.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:18 AM
Veteran Member

In effect you have a very naive view of what's needed. Scale up by at least a factor of 1000.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

The real fix is what some other members have done, which is retro fit a new Android system into the double din Jaguar sat nav place. There are numerous posts of how to do this, which takes care of navigation, mp3 playing, added back up camera, etc. Seen some that even keep the original screens with the addition of added ones.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:30 AM
Veteran Member
solostax (11-30-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 02:39 AM
Veteran Member

Translation is a bit rough but a very comprehensive detailed explanation of the process =

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lation-192661/

solostax (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 06:37 AM

Dell Gailey. Thanks for taking the time in finding this "get around",it is appreciated.
Looking at this alternative suggests a solution to future proofing ,but the cost of this system detracts from the plain fact that the existing console with CD multichanger , blue tooth phone, touch screen climate control etc is superb .The system is only let down by the failure of the manufacturer to maintain Nav update support.
Legitimate DVD updates are available for £20 albeit for other vehicles, which proves the data is out there,just needs transferring to our system.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by solostax
Alfadude Thanks for the input.
Perhaps I'm taking for granted that in this day and age of hackers, programmers ,and a younger generation that have a deep understanding of computer data manipulation, the task of transferring bang up to date Sat Nav data to a DVD would be mere child's play.
Although I'm not advocating software piracy I can imagine some entrepreneur could quite easily buy the latest Sat Nav data for pennies and have it copied in the right format to a DVD that would be usable in our drives.As such the relationship of production effort versus revenue would be profitable.Instead of relying on the "free" latest mapping (Google Maps)I'm sure there are still thousands of potential customers who would willingly pay say £20 for a professionally created DVD.
The key word in your post is "POTENTIAL". That is a lot different than ACTUAL customers. Of those potential customers only a very small percentage would actually end up buying and even if there was an initial wave of people who bought that pool would only keep going down and probably rather quickly. Reminds me what you see on forums from time to time where there is some improvement that someone has come up with or some discount that would require a group buy and a number of members saying "I would buy that". But when the time comes to actually put up money most of them quickly disappear.

Maybe look into seeing what is involved and once you know that ask members to put up money to buy it or fund the initial run and see how many takers you actually get. I hear what you are saying and it would be cool, but like Windows 98 there is a reason it is no longer supported.

solostax (11-30-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 10:10 AM
Default Surrender

Alfadude, I concede to yours and other's explanations, and after thrashing to death any possibilities I now surrender and accept this
subject as a lost cause.
I believe it was a worthwhile topic as it might have posed a challenge to a whiz kid who's motivation is technical rather than financial. Anyway, some useful alternatives were explored.
Thanks again to all that contributed.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:37 PM
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

There’s a very similar thread running in the X350 forum right now, and I’ll just link to my reply there https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2/#post1800926 which explains about my method to integrate an Android system into the original touchscreen unit which allows you to run TomTom or any other up to date navigation system. As I mention on that thread, even if you could replace maps on the original system (which I did look into briefly) the fact is that there are many improvements gained by running a new modern nav app on Android, such as live traffic, route planning on your phone etc etc which makes this a much more worthwhile investment of time and effort.

Ben

solostax (11-30-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 11:53 AM

Hi Ben
Congratulations on your masterpiece of electronic wizardry but putting that lot together looks rather daunting and best left to Wizards.However the single CD player mod for AUX input is achievable for me and I thank you very much for that.
As there seems no way to inexpensively update the existing Sat Nav system I will have to rely on a tablet running Google maps.But there again 99 percent of my mileage is over familiar territory so I don't really need it.
I'm sure your expertise will be greatly appreciated by those capable of performing the rebuild, which should future proof that part of the Jaguars.Indeed it will probably be the only functioning bit of electronics left after the rest rot away.
Regards

Old 11-30-2017, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member

Holy mackerel! Reading that made me sweat nearly as bad as reading how to remove and replace the oil pan gasket.

solostax (11-30-2017)