X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SatNav Retrofit ACM Proframming

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default SatNav Retrofit ACM Proframming

I successfully retro-fitted the SatNav this weekend.

I attempted to use the system menu (Tel+Menu > 1972) to program it so it sees the CDC in order to get the ACM to work but the settings never stuck. Once I switched the car off and back on...the system went back to thinking there was no CDC.

I took it to the dealership this morning to have them do it (among other things) and they're telling me that the setting is not sticking for them as well.

I don't see how the SatNav screen could have affected anything. The only difference to my previous setup was that instead of the ACM going to the headunit and then circuit closed, I attached the optical lead from the CDC to where it was marked on the ACM optical cable, that's it.

Any thoughts????

Old 10-17-2011, 03:54 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm looking at the 2002 X-Type Electrical Guide, section 20, where there are schematics of the D2B network in various configurations. Some are single-module configurations (cd changer, cell phone module, voice control module, or navigation control module) and some are multi-module with 2 to five modules pictured. In every diagram that includes a CD changer, it is shown as the first device in the chain. Or maybe it's the LAST device, depending on the direction of travel of data through the D2B ring.

Note that the ACM is not pictured in any of these diagrams. My recollection of my ACM installation is that it gets plugged into the head unit in place of the the prior fiber-optic cable, and that pre-existing fiber-optic cable is plugged into the ACM, with the switch on the ACM being used - while the car is off - to select between ACM mode or CD changer mode. Basically, that switch on the ACM switches out everything on the network after the ACM.

I can't quite wrap my head around it just by looking at these diagrams, but it would seem to me that the order of the devices on the ring might make a big difference, as would the devices that are chained off of the ACM.

See if you can locate this electrical guide. Maybe looking at these diagrams might tip you off to your issue.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:17 PM

I'm thinking you're right in that the order might be off.
Attached is a diagram I put together to show before and after the satnav retrofit. All I did was remove the loop back cable from the ACM cable going into the head unit and attach the not used before DB2 cable running from the trunk marked CDC. I then simply attached the DVD unit to the other end of this cable in the trunk, that's it. How can one F this up.

Originally Posted by rothe
I'm looking at the 2002 X-Type Electrical Guide, section 20, where there are schematics of the D2B network in various configurations. Some are single-module configurations (cd changer, cell phone module, voice control module, or navigation control module) and some are multi-module with 2 to five modules pictured. In every diagram that includes a CD changer, it is shown as the first device in the chain. Or maybe it's the LAST device, depending on the direction of travel of data through the D2B ring.

Note that the ACM is not pictured in any of these diagrams. My recollection of my ACM installation is that it gets plugged into the head unit in place of the the prior fiber-optic cable, and that pre-existing fiber-optic cable is plugged into the ACM, with the switch on the ACM being used - while the car is off - to select between ACM mode or CD changer mode. Basically, that switch on the ACM switches out everything on the network after the ACM.

I can't quite wrap my head around it just by looking at these diagrams, but it would seem to me that the order of the devices on the ring might make a big difference, as would the devices that are chained off of the ACM.

See if you can locate this electrical guide. Maybe looking at these diagrams might tip you off to your issue.

Attached Thumbnails SatNav Retrofit ACM Proframming-jagwire.jpg  
Old 10-17-2011, 06:29 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Are you talking about your IPOD working or your CDC not working? Well first you have to add it as an accessory from the dealer, but it you have a bad gateway module. Like say the interface module is bad, the silver looking module, the it going to drop the whole system out, it runs in a loop. Tell me more, what all did you do? Step by step

Originally Posted by spielnicht
I'm thinking you're right in that the order might be off.
Attached is a diagram I put together to show before and after the satnav retrofit. All I did was remove the loop back cable from the ACM cable going into the head unit and attach the not used before DB2 cable running from the trunk marked CDC. I then simply attached the DVD unit to the other end of this cable in the trunk, that's it. How can one F this up.

Last edited by jaglover922; 10-17-2011 at 06:31 PM. Reason: .
Old 10-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

actually I recant my last statement. Do you have the right D2B leads? Everything has a home?

Old 10-17-2011, 09:52 PM

Spielnicht - go to the Jaguar TOPIx web site, enter your vehicle information (model, year), and then click on "Owner" in the top right. Then click on "Accessory Fitting Instructions" on the left, and then "Ice/Technology." (In Car Entertainment)

That will provide a number of downloadable PDFs for installing various accessories, including the ACM. I just glanced through that one again - it's been a while since I did my own ACM install - and I can't find where it's pictured, but I seem to recall that there was another loopback connector that had to be installed (or removed?) where the CD changer would be. (My car doesn't have one.)

Get a look at that ACM file. That might help you out.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:34 AM

Forgot to include a link to TOPIx:

TOPIx - TOPIx

Old 10-18-2011, 02:01 PM

Thx rothe, printing them out and taking a look tonight. I'll post back results.

Originally Posted by rothe
Forgot to include a link to TOPIx:

TOPIx - TOPIx

Old 10-19-2011, 08:50 AM

I've looked at the instructions and according to the image I attached in this thread earlier, I think I got it right. The only thing I noticed in the optical cables was that the one coming out of my the DVD drive is slightly bent in, guessing while in packaging. The DVD nav drive works perfectly though...but could that have an affect???

The harness I put together was half-a--ed to say the least, works, but not great and that was only because I wanted to work mostly with that I had on hand. Anyway, I'm ordering new wiring to redo it perfectly this time. The other reason is that the video cable I used wasn't really that great, so when I turn on the car, I can see some EMF side affect on the screen. Anyway, just wanted to know if you guys had a good guess on the gauge of "voltage" wire used in the car for this application. I had originally used 18 gauge, but it's WAY TOO BIG even.

Last edited by spielnicht; 10-19-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:19 PM

Just finished checking all the D2B leads and guess what, red blinking light coming out of the ACM and DVD upon turning key to position 2 but never anything out of headunit Plugged back my old CD/Air and the red light flashed immediately. So I take it the CD unit on the SatNav is faulty. rubbish. At least the touchscreen isn't faulty part, took me forever to find a clean one from a late model.