X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speaker not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 05:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speaker not working

My right side rear speaker isn't working, have checked wires are connected in the door, thinking of removing the radio to check the connections there. Has any had a similar problem, are ther any other areas that are worth checking for a bad connection?

Old 08-07-2013, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Firstly, welcome to the forum. Please take some time to look into the New member area to introduce yourself and add your car details to your signature.

It will aid other members in helping you more swiftly to any questions you may have.

You will probably find the the speaker is defective. If you have an old speaker lying around, hook it up and try it before you start dismantling the centre console.

I assume that you have checked the balance settings within the radio itself.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:03 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

bassdude, the easiest way to check to see if the speaker is working or not is to simply remove the door panel (or the back of the radio if you know what wires go the speaker in question and then using a 9VDC battery, connect one wire and then tap the other wire from the battery to the speaker terminals. As the wire touches, you should hear the speaker make a popping sound. No sound, bad speaker. You hear sound, then your problem lies with either the radio or the wiring. You can repeat the test at the radio and eliminate/prove the wiring.

I do not recommend using a bigger battery as the power rating of the speakers is not that high and due to the low resistance of automobile speakers, it would be easy to overload and damage the speakers. The 9 VDC battery has a limited current ability which limits the power it can output. See what you have at that point and we can handle things from there.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:48 AM

Thanks guys, will have another go tomorrow

Old 08-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

X_Type speakers fail OFTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can repair some of them by soldering a thin/flexible wire from the soldered terminal to the braided voice coil wire. I have repaired some with this method.

You can test the voice coil with an OHM METER. Try the soldered terminals. If they are open circuit THEN touch the braided voice coil wires.
If you have continuity you know the voice coil is OK. One or both soldered terminals are at fault.

Then touch a soldered terminal and braided wire. If you get continuity, you know what connection side is bad.

If no continuity then swap positions and see if you get a connection.

You might only need to solder a wire on one side of the connector.

bob gauff

Old 08-10-2013, 08:28 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I second that X-Type speakers fail often. When I bought my X-Type I noticed that the driver speaker wasn't working (got a little bit off the price for that too) and I found out it was because the entire back magnet on the speaker fell off and was sitting on the bottom of the door. I glued it back on but the quality was shocking to say the least so I ended up having to replace all the speakers in the car.

So the first thing you can do is an actual physical inspection of the speaker itself by taking off the door panel. Who knows, maybe the cable just came off. But be warned the clips on the door panels break very easily and you might need to buy some more.

Good luck with it!

Old 08-10-2013, 01:07 PM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

I bought mine and all door speakers were dead.
I replaced them with four Panasonics. Great sound.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:14 AM

Thanks for the replies, the speaker had failed (magnet was in the bottom off the door) new speakers in place and sounding good.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:38 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's good news! At least it wasn't a wiring issue because that would take a lot longer to figure out. What new speakers did you replace them with?