X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof problems. please help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof problems. please help.

I've had this problem happen to me twice in two weeks and i spent $800.00 to fix it the first time and im hoping that there is a simpler solution. I was closing my sunroof after i put it in the garage this evening and while it was closing i shut the car off (without thinking). I turned the car back on to finish shutting my sunroof and it would not do it automatically anymore. Come to find out the button that points to the rear of the car will not open the sunroof either. I have to press (and hold) the forward pointing button until it vents, press it again once it is opened (after i press it the second time nothing happens), then i must press (and hold) it a third time to close the vent or open it completely. When i took it into the shop to get it fixed (not the dealership) they told me i had to replace the entire housing unit that holds the garage door opener sunroof controls and even the lights i believe. What leads me to think there may be a simpler solution is when the mechanic asked me to test it to see if it was working properly it still didnt more automatically (i had to hold the buttons). after he took another look at the unit he had it working correctly, he said "there was a 'learning process' that he had to go through with the buttons." i was wondering if anyone knew this process or has any other tips or knowledge on the subject. any help is appreciated, thanks!

Old 04-29-2012, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

Try the instructions in post #5 of this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...serious-51871/

The following users liked this post:
Crowlader (05-02-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 09:25 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Crowlader, what I would tell you to do is to first remove fuse F73 from the fuse box in the dash. This is going to kill the power to the control unit for the sun roof. If the control unit for the sunroof has somehow gotten confused, this will clear that issue. After having the fuse removed for 5 minutes with the car off, reinstall the fuse. At this point, if the sunroof is still acting up, then odds are the computer is bad. There is no "learning process" with the sunroof. There is a learning process with the main windows, but not with the sun roof. Granted, if you want to try, all that you do is press and hold the button to slide the sun roof all the way open. Once the sunroof is all the way open, continue to hold the button for an additional 3 seconds, then release. Close the sunroof (holding the button) and allow the sunroof to close all the way and once it is fully shut, continue to hold the button for an additional 3 seconds. But, I bet you are going to find that by holding the button with the sun roof closing, once the sunroof closes, it is going to go to the vent position because it is thinking that is what you are after.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thermo, i tried taking the fuse out and it didnt fix the problem with the sunroof. However, now my key fob is working intermittently. Sometimes when i get out it will lock the doors and other times it wont... could the fob or the component in the car been effected by taking out the fuse?

Old 05-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Crowlader, I have the same sort of issue with my car. What I have seen is that the driver's side is fairly dead, but if you walk to the passenger side it will work every time. Kinda like if you stand behind the car it works great, but if you stand in front of the car, it may or may not work. Not sure what to say about that.

Crowlader (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

There is a calibration process for the sliding roof. Here is an old TSB that might apply to your car.

Try the calibration before replacing the sunroof motor assy. described in the bulletin

bob gauff

Attached Files
Smeghead (10-07-2018)