X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

They Scratched My Baby

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 12:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default They Scratched My Baby

I recently had the X taken to Belle Tire to get the control arms replaced. Apparently, the position of the wheels made the tires wear in a weird spot, and the back two were about to blow. Anyway, had to replace all 4 tires because Belle Tire won't replace only two on an AWD vehicle, even though the fronts were fine. Mind you, there were ~7,000 miles on the old ones. Anyway, even though I avoided the dealership, I'm out over $1,000. Not only that, but they clipped a cement post with my baby. Now there is a scratch in the clearcoat (and paint) about the size of my hand. Of course, Belle Tire won't own up to this, and they claim that it was already there... Yeah, right. Anyway, because I'm a bit strapped for cash after the repairs, do you guys have any suggestions for the best way to fix this? I've already tried buffing it and using the scratch doctor stuff. I'm just looking for some good paint/clearcoat that's fairly cheap.

Last edited by Shanahan; 02-07-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Shanahan
I'm just looking for some good paint/clearcoat that's fairly cheap.
Paintscratch.com has the best-matching spraypaint for factory colors. I would actually try wetsanding with 2000 grit first and see if you can get it smooth without going through the base coat, then you can clear if needed. Either way, it sounds like sanding may be needed, so give it a try at least first.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they did the damage and won't own up to it there are avenues you can take. Did you pay by credit card? Call the card co. and put the charges in "dispute." It's a simple form to fill out to put charges on "hold" till the dispute is resolved. The card co. may say this is not a direct product issue but it is worth a try. Ask Belle Tire to reduce the charges by the amount to repair the car. Get 3 estimates so you have the ammunition in hand.

Also, here in Michigan you can file a complaint with the Attorney Generals office online via Michigan.gov, they can investigate the complaint. Belle Tire has done me some great work and I suspect that being contacted by the Attorney Generals office might get them to take you seriously.

Keep us updated.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
If they did the damage and won't own up to it there are avenues you can take. Did you pay by credit card? Call the card co. and put the charges in "dispute." It's a simple form to fill out to put charges on "hold" till the dispute is resolved. The card co. may say this is not a direct product issue but it is worth a try. Ask Belle Tire to reduce the charges by the amount to repair the car. Get 3 estimates so you have the ammunition in hand.

Also, here in Michigan you can file a complaint with the Attorney Generals office online via Michigan.gov, they can investigate the complaint. Belle Tire has done me some great work and I suspect that being contacted by the Attorney Generals office might get them to take you seriously.

Keep us updated.
+1

also... only willing to replace 4 tires on a awd vehicle..well customer should be able to buy what they like... but they are correct in saying 2 tires different tread than other 2 tires can cause bigger problems. it puts strain on the transfer case.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Shanahan
I recently had the X taken to Belle Tire to get the control arms replaced. Apparently, the position of the wheels made the tires wear in a weird spot, and the back two were about to blow. Anyway, had to replace all 4 tires because Belle Tire won't replace only two on an AWD vehicle, even though the fronts were fine. Mind you, there were ~7,000 miles on the old ones. Anyway, even though I avoided the dealership, I'm out over $1,000. Not only that, but they clipped a cement post with my baby. Now there is a scratch in the clearcoat (and paint) about the size of my hand. Of course, Belle Tire won't own up to this, and they claim that it was already there... Yeah, right. Anyway, because I'm a bit strapped for cash after the repairs, do you guys have any suggestions for the best way to fix this? I've already tried buffing it and using the scratch doctor stuff. I'm just looking for some good paint/clearcoat that's fairly cheap.
Threaten them with both court action and or Better Business Bureau, the reason they get away with scratching your car is that you let them.

I had my car into a shop and the same thing happened, they denied it of course, I left in disgust. I thought about it overnight, called the manager the next day and started the conversation with under advise from counsil....

They paid.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

They should have insurance. It is not up to them to choose who and what they pay. You could also turn it over to your insurance and see what they can do for you. I would go to the owner of the shop or the headquarters and see what they say. No results then go the local news and the BBB and see what they do. They love a good cause! Do not let your anger get in the way of your success….

Old 02-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Whenever you drop your car off for service you should ask them to do a walk-around with you with both parties acknowledging any prior damage. This protects all involved and only takes 2 minutes.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

The customer is always correct!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Never back down mate. Once in the publics eye the war is all ypurs. Look at micheal moore and the us health system. He had a simlar case but witha disease. And hte insuarance company paid full up.

Pursue it and teach the F***kers that they cant just get away like that.

It is true about the tires, but that dosent mean they can't let you do what you want to do. ANd i paid on 600 for a new set.... a 1000 must be some good tires lol.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by KDW4Him

Keep us updated.
Right, ALWAYS pay with a credit card. This way you can call the credit card company and dispute if their is ever a problem.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Sorry to hear about that nasty incident , I hope they get what they deserve

Old 02-09-2011, 06:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah sounds like you should push this 1 chap! What ***** denying they've done damage to a vehicle especially when its so large and area!

Old 07-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I actually forgot about this post until just recently, so I figured I would give an update just because I got bored. Anyway, I fought and fought Belle Tire for the repair, but nothing ever materialized. I actually know the owner of the Belle Tire chain's best friend, and I was told that he makes over $4,000 an hour. And he can't fix my car. Oh well. Unfortunately, I still haven't fixed the spot because it isn't alarmingly noticeable, but I do have to worry about the rust spot where the fender meets the rocker panel. Oh, how I love the salty Midwest roads. This may be the end of my Jag, because this rust situation is serious.
Oh, and sorry to bump this 5 month old thread

Old 07-12-2011, 12:42 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I've found that going to the Better Business Bureau works. Companies don't like having that black mark on their record.