X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent Advice Needed

Well my mechanic is saying that i need my rear breaks and rotors replaced. He is charging 690 for them and about 290 for a "Full-Tune Up"

Is this a deal or a scam? Should i try to bargain and what not? Is replacing the rear brakes something you can do in your driveway with the jack? Or is a difficult process? I am also getting my oil leak and ac compressor replaced by him if the warranty covers them, inspector is coming tomorrow to look at the car.

THANKS!!!!

Old 10-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Urgent Advice Needed

WOW! Ok, lets start with the parts. If you buy the EBC cross drilled/slotted rotors and their brake pads, it'll be round 157 total/tax + shipping see here:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...lar=Base+Model

So the rest is profit or labor.

290 for a full tune up is what??? Replacing the spark plugs?? Each plug cost about 2 bucks (and i'm being generous on the plus) so you need 6 of em that's 12 bucks for plugs......and that's about all you can do for a tune up...everything else the computer controls.

Find another mechanic

Old 10-23-2008, 06:45 PM

Well does anyone have any recommendations for a good mechanic in the DC Virginia Metro Area?

Old 10-23-2008, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

Me/Myself/I

You're on your own bud! Good luck!

Old 10-23-2008, 09:16 PM

Well thanks for your reply, I think ill just try to bargin with him, if the tune up consist of fluid refiles and what not, its alright. I dont have the equipment to change the brakes myself. I dont know if i even want to take it to a local gas station.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Craigslist. Find a good mechanic there.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,924 Likes on 3,223 Posts

gupdah, if you don't mind coming on down to the Norfolk area, we can do that job in my driveway. I had to replace the caliper on the rear of my Jag when I first got it (car lot paid for all the parts). The rear brakes are easy to do. I would want to measure the rear rotors before I say you need new rotors or not (a lot of shops replace rotors at the drop of a hat). LIke was mentioned though, going with the EBC rotors is a pretty good deal and will be cheaper than getting factory rotors.

As for the tuneup, keep in mind that you have about 2 hours of wrenching to remove/install the intake so you can access the rear plugs. This will require the installation of a new o-ring kit too. So, $290 for a shop to do a "tune-up" isn't too far out there. But, about $250 of that is your labor charge. The rear brakes are way high to me. Pads are like $80, new rotors another $180 as I recall. To do the whole brake job will take about 2 hours, maybe (going high here). So, I would call that one a bit high as it comes to price.

I helped 03 S Type with new rotors on his S Type.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:34 AM

690 for brakes, damn. you could buy the tools and the pads and the rotors, and still have like multiple cases of beer

Old 10-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

x2 on the cost of the brake job. You are being taken advantage of. Also x2 on the EBC's. I have them all the way around with ceramic pads - superior stopping power, much less dust, slightly more noise. Cheaper.

The job can be done in your driveway with a jack and stands and basic hand tools. The only tricky part is winding the calipers back in. You can buy a brake tool for this purpose from your local parts store, or use 90 degree needle nose pliars. As a matter of course I suggest always replacing rotors in concert with pads for this vehicle.

I don't know how many miles you have on your vehicle - why change the plugs?

The fine folks on this board could walk you through all of those basic tune up procedures and in turn save you $ and get you more familiar with your own vehicle.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:24 PM

Well hes not only fixing the brakes, he is fixing the air conditioning compressor and oil leak and one more problem. All of these were covered under the warranty, i only have to pay a 100 dollar deductible. Thanks for the offer thermo but he has already completed the job. The inspector had come by today from the warranty company and said it was good to go. So about 3000 dollars plus is being covered by the company. I realize that i am getting ripped off, but this guy is a reputable mechanic, was recomended to me by my boss, he speciallizes with rolls royce and what not. I am one of the cheapest people out there, but i am so greatful that the warranty is covering the oil leak in the oil pan, taking care of my ac, and another problem which i really didnt understand. The only reason i took the car to him was for the ac compressor and the oil leak. But he recomended those things done too, so i got them done. Fooled me once, i doubt ill get fooled again? This is the first ever repair i had to get done with a jaguar or any domestic/British car. Our family all drive lexus/toyotas. This is the first car thats not from japan.

The car has about 44k miles on the clock and apparently the brakes had never been changed or anything of that sort before i bought the car, the way i know this is the person i bought the car from is my good firend.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member

Bottom line, if you're happy with the work....so be it. Enjoy your baby this weekend for a little drive......

Old 10-24-2008, 06:01 PM

thanks guys! I cant wait to see how the car drives. and what this so called tune up brings me ;/