X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What mufflers sound good on a 3.0 x-type?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 11:26 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default What mufflers sound good on a 3.0 x-type?

Just got my car but thinking about maybe doing an exhaust on it in the future. Not wanting to spend $600 though. Wondering what mufflers would sound good on Jaguars. I know it's supposed to be more of a quiet luxury car, but I'm thinking a sporty sound would be cool. I'm just not sure what kind of mufflers would work well on these types of engines. I know flowmasters are more for American V8's and then you have the chrome Honda style racing mufflers. I'm not really sure. I was thinking of going more for like a stealthier look. Two big chrome racing mufflers sticking out the back of a luxury car might look like I'm trying too hard. Another thing I thought about today, what if I replaced the two stock mufflers with small glasspacks? I know glasspack mufflers are normally of regarded as kind of ghetto, but it might sound cool on this type of engine. Then again I don't want to make it too loud and waste the money when I already like the look of the stock exhaust tips.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Well, everything's completely subjective of course. I prefer slightly more restrained tips, and I've been through a fair few looks chronological order). Top is stock, 2nd is Adamesh, rest are Mina Gallery with different tips. The last ones are the ones I stuck with.

Regarding audio, see my video-heavy post in this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...upgrade-91791/

Also, for an idea what a Mina Gallery -muffled X-Type sounds like when moving (on 1st gear), check the two videos linked by Justink201 in this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...sunday-104567/

Old 11-01-2013, 02:21 AM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

The exhaust on my 3.0 X Type is VERY VERY VERY loud! I installed a pair of Aero Turbine Straight thru design mufflers (the loudest and most aggressive ones they sell) on accident initially. I thought they were going to be the milder quiet ones with baffling material inside but once they were welding on and turned on my car for the first time, I realized these were the performance ones. To make things even more crazy, I don't have a center resonator either.
Aero Exhaust AT2525 Performance Muffler 2.5" inside diameter

The X type sounds like a true BEAST with an exhaust system. The notes this engine produces are simply magical and is music to my ears. I have a BMW 525i that has an exhaust upgrade but it doesn't even come close to the sounds the X makes.

It has a very exotic sound. A blend of American muscle and European mechanical. When in low RPMs the car sound loud and deep and grumbly/growly like an american V8 but when you mash the pedal the sound wakes up to a screaming almost V12ish sound. For a reference to what a loud exhaust sounds like on this car just listen to the new V6 F Type. Sounds very close to it (only real difference is that this engine doesn't rev as high and is a lot slower to spool up).

Old 11-01-2013, 03:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Care to make a recording/video of yours, aCapiz?

Old 11-01-2013, 08:02 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Zach, I am interested in the same thing as well. I just want an inexpensive set of mufflers that I can bolt on for a slightly better sound. I have a local custom exhaust shop I stopped at and he seems to have a lot of experience with guys like us coming in. What he recommended was this. Are you guys ready for this............

Vintage Sportster Mufflers. Yep, a pair of 25 dollar (each) chrome vintage Harley Davidson Sportster glass packs. They are very short, cheap and chrome. Exactly what we need. Then all he has to do it hang them, and fab up two 70 degree turn pipes, and weld them to the stock pipes. I just ordered my mufflers from a cheapo Harley parts shop, and when they show up I am hoping to have less than $150 total in the job. And that's installed. I can't say how it will sound, but like mentioned, dual glass packs on a Jag should sound cool. I'll keep you guys posted with a sound clip when I get them installed. I'm not saying this is by any means the best solution, its just MY solution and I wanted to share it with the board.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:54 AM

Yea that sounds cool. I would like to hear what it sounds like too if you can post it. There is one video on youtube of an xtype with a glasspack but it doesn't have much of a description. It looks like they might have replaced the whole exhaust with one glasspack. I was wondering about keeping the center resonator muffler or removing it?? I don't want to make it too loud but I wouldn't want it too quiet either that you didn't hear it. I guess you could always leave it and remove it later if you wanted. I'm still not sure on muffler choices... There are too many options and most of them cost a lot. Maybe I will hold off.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:54 AM

I'll definitely try to get a video up for you guys to listen (hopefully by the end of today). If you are debating whether or not to remove the resonator, I suggest to have the mufflers installed first and if it's to your liking then keep it as is and if it is too quiet then chop it off.

The mufflers will typically give a much more bassy and throaty sound, while the removal of the resonator will allow gases to flow in a less interrupted manner causing a more aggressive "wub wub" sound at idle and the higher frequency notes (once drowned out by the resonator and mufflers) to be unleashed

For exhaust tips, I really love the look of my Mina Gallery Quad tips. Looks very "German Performance".

Attached Thumbnails What mufflers sound good on a 3.0 x-type?-10611684245_a1dde5a9ea_c.jpg  
Old 11-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Cool

Ok guys got some videos up on youtube! Very hard to keep my phone's mic from distorting from the bass and volume the car produces.

MOV_1281 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 11-02-2013, 06:33 PM

That sounds wicked aCapiz... How I imagined a Jag should sound... Do you know if they're the 2.5" diameter inlet/outlet? I was trying to decide if I should keep the resonator or not. I was looking at different mufflers on ebay. Might hold off for a while and think about it. Money being the main problem and if I should even get an exhaust to begin with.

Last edited by 04xtype04; 11-02-2013 at 06:58 PM.