Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what symptoms do i look for in a bad transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts
Default what symptoms do i look for in a bad transmission

Hi, i'll be starting my test drives of X types in a week or so. How can i tell if the transmission or transfer case have any issues?... what does a bad trans feel like?, any other tips of what to look for in an 02 3.0 non sport?
I've narrowed it down to a handful so far. Winning at the moment is the 74000 miles blue 3.0 for $5500, owner not dealer in NJ.
He said the only work it had done was replaced an abs or speed sensor...i dont remember which

Old 05-16-2011, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member

anyone home?

Old 05-16-2011, 06:59 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Tranny

Generally no problems with Trans, not usually because they are sealed Trannies, you literally have to go to Dealer shops and they even tell you causciously that it's a big steep in doing Main. on them and you need to be very sure there is problems. You can get Fluid changed and main. on them but usually not necessary.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

When you test drive the car pin it after the car is warm. See if there is any slippage from a standing start. Then when it shifts see if it is crisp as opposed to slow and slipping. Also do a small brake stand by putting your foot lightly on the brake and have it in gear (auto) give it a bit of gass to see if the tranny slips.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member

thanks...the blue 74000 02 sold yesterday....guess he didnt believe in a gentlemans agreement, good for me, i dont care to buy from a guy like that....the search continues :+)

Old 05-17-2011, 07:09 AM
Default Sold

It's probably a good thing anyway that it's gone, I personally never liked cars with High Miles on them.

Originally Posted by iownme
thanks...the blue 74000 02 sold yesterday....guess he didnt believe in a gentlemans agreement, good for me, i dont care to buy from a guy like that....the search continues :+)

Old 05-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by iownme
Honestly, an 02 with high milage is something I'd likely stay away from. Alway remember that although the price is enticing, a tranny rebuild is going to start at about 6K. A Jag tranny at 8-9K. An engine rebuild will be a second mortgage.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member

hehe...74000 is major low milage for my budget, most vehicles i'm looking at are between 100-120k. If i had to replace the trans at some point i wouldnt be too mad, and i've seen a few for sale at reasonable prices. Though don't quote me on that when i post about my F$@#ing broken tranny :+)

Is it the transfer case on the 02's that has a bad rap?...i've seen posts suggesting to replace the transfer case fluid when an older x type is purchased or was it the tranny?

I've been so involved with jag research this past 2 weeks my head is spinning.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  19.3 KB

Please do youself a favour and take some time out from your search......spend as much time as you can in the X type section and check out the X type quick FAQ link thread.........most / all of the info you need is in there in spades

Its the T/C you need to be keeping an eye on and looking after if/when you buy......sealed for life is b/s.....get the fluids changed

Good luck

Old 05-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member

i've read just about every post in the forums, just to see what wild things go wrong and how/if they got fixed. Already read up on various maintenance procedures too.

I think i already read the FAQ, but i'll go back and re-check that i did :+)

Bottom line is all machines break, mostly due to owner neglect i believe, and everyone swears they had all maintenance done from day one...yeah right...hehe. So i have my eyes wide open, and expect some teething troubles with whatever car i'm buying....mostly thats why people sell them, few people sell their car if its so wonderfully reliable....maybe i'm just jaded.

I want to drive the X type...not read about it!!!!!!!.....SOOOOOOON!

Old 05-17-2011, 08:02 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenhornet
Generally no problems with Trans, not usually because they are sealed Trannies, you literally have to go to Dealer shops and they even tell you causciously that it's a big steep in doing Main. on them and you need to be very sure there is problems. You can get Fluid changed and main. on them but usually not necessary.
i wouldnt say that...the tranny on my girls 02 blew. noticed it slipping and took it to the dealer, they said nothing wrong, took it to the local dealer the car was bought from they said nothing was wrong and it wasnt slipping. drove it another couple months, gear fault on display, took it to the jag dealer they said 8 grand for a replacement and that it was "a total failure" ..got it rebuilt i think it was around 6grand... i would have to flip through old threads to find the price.

sealed tranny doesnt mean there are no issues, it just means there is no fluid dipstick, which i think is absolutely insane.. and jag isnt the only 1 that did this.. my cts has a sealed tranny.
i hate that you cant even check the fluid level without putting the car on a hoist, bringing it to full opp temp, pulling a check plug and checking the level.
i dont know how you check it on the jag but thats how you do it on the my caddy.

check the tranny pan make sure its dry and no signs of primer spray paint(yes im serious) or other leaks.
come to a rolling stop before it shifts into first give it gas, just a little.. if it skips funny you have the beginning signs of a potential issue.
reverse and crank the wheels, any clunks or noises can mean the diff or other driveline components.
generally i havent heard anyone on here have any diff issues, but i have heard of transfer case issues.
i cant remember if the transfercase is joined with the tranny and shares atf fluid or if it is standalone on gear oil...i think its standalone.

all fluids wear out, tranny fluid included.. it needs to be changed no matter what the manual says. heat causes fluid to break down, so does use...change it unless the car is tipping the 150k mark at that point the tranny is use to bad fluid and changing it can cause more damage

Last edited by ghettomike; 05-17-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member

thanks for those tips. Landrover also has the sealed type, we all just drop the pan, change the filter and refill through the fill plug....fill plug is at least accessable.

just been reading up on changing the X type fluids. That'll be one of my first tasks

Old 05-17-2011, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

There were some problems with early Jatco auto boxes. There was a "customer campaign" that saw some get switched out if a customer complained. Dealers were quite proactive about it. I can't remember specifics but i was able to verify mine was done via the number on it. I think there is information in this thread, 3rd post:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...all-list-4907/

A lot of the old information is gone from AllData, TSBs etc as the campaign ended years ago, but there should be dealer service records that will show if you did get an original faulty trans replaced within that VIN range.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:25 AM
Default Trannie

I had never known about a Recall on the 03 Jag Tranny swith out, concerning dipstick, wish I had known, but I never had any Trans issues with mine, and if I had, I would have payed to cost to have the Fluid switched out right away.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Had 3 tranny's in my '03 x-type. At about 5K before I got a code on the dash I would notice a gear noise after riding at highway speeds for a few miles. Sounded like a manual in 1st gear. Replaced under warranty. Second tranny had the same defect as the first. That one coded at 15K. Replaced under warranty. Third time was a winner. Tranny was O.K. until I sold it in '09 with 60K+. Jack