X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are you guys messing with your transfer case so much?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why are you guys messing with your transfer case so much?

I am reading all these posts about transfer case fluid changes. I do not see any of that stuff in Jaguar scheduled maintenance, etc. I have about 94K on the odo and my kitty feels great. But you guys are making me super paranoid as I am all about preventive maintenance. Whatshould aJag specialty shop charge for doing something like this, I don't feel like doing it myself?

Old 11-26-2008, 01:00 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Why are you guys messing with your transfer case so much?

Do a search on Transfer Case and you find all the info regarding..The fill for life philosophy is BS and bad info...Along with the TC, is the Rear Differential and transmission (Auto and Manual) The Jaguar Service manual does address these areas in vague terms depending on mileage and conditions driven in...I will congratulate you on not having any problems so far..

Old 11-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

ORIGINAL: bojangles

If you can, ask your shop to capture the oil in a measuring cup. and let us know how much came out.
...if any does..

Old 11-26-2008, 11:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My X-type had 59,500 on it, I am the 2nd owner, and it went OUT. There was only about 1/2 cup of dirty, sparkly (metal flakes) in it. I took it apart and found that the remaining oil was BURNT and that a bearing failed from lack of lubrication.

I did not know about this problem (lack of T-case lube), until mine quit. CHANGE YOUR OIL!!

If there are metal flakes on the magnetic drain plug..... Get ready to replace/rebuild your t-case.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:08 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Humy, like was mentioned, "filled for life" is a good selling catch phrase, but in practicality, a very bad idea. I am one of the people that pulled their TC drain plug and got no fluid out of it. So, how long can the TC run that way? I don't think anyone knows. As you can see, there are a few different ways to change the TC oil and as long as you are willing to change out the drain plug, can result in a fairly easy process to do (myself and 2 other members have fairly cheap methods to allow you to do this on a routine basis, under $100).

The big issue is the fill plug to put the fluid into the transfer case is located on the top of the TC. Makes sense. But, unfortunately, this plug is located about 1" (25mm) from the block of the engine, in an area that you can't even get your hand to without tearing out many other parts.

The actual swapping of the fluid is pretty easy once you use one of the tricks that we have posted here. My car had 91K miles on it when I did the fluid. Odds are, it had never been changed. So, changing it tomorrow is not necessary, but sometime in the near future would be a good idea. If you need help just hollar. If you are in the Norfolk VA area, let me know and you can come on over and we can get you taken car of.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:31 PM

The dealer wants to charge $195 for the TC flush. They use a machine that sucks the fluid out and then puts it back in.

They also mentioned a differential flush which also costs $195 that I should do. I got almost 94K miles.

Are those prices reasonable? I would think a machine that sucks the fluid out and then puts it back would do a good job - I am only asking, because above it is noted that the dealer does not do it right.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:40 PM

Like humy i have an x-type with about 95k, and have never heard that I needed to flush the TC. However after reading this lead I feel that I should. Anyone else doubt the dealer's ability to do this well? Removing engine parts doesn't sound like fun...

Old 12-15-2008, 04:02 PM

bump, still looking for a responseon the dealer's ability using the machine noted above to change the TC fluid

Old 12-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Read up on BRUTAL's posts on the subject..... he gives the dealer viewpoint. I am not totally sold on their method to guaranteed the exact correct amout of oil, but for sure he is doing it quickly and effectivly. 195 sounds like a lot.....
calling a suction pump "a special machine" is a stretch.....
lol, thats not a special machine, thats a dont know what theyre talking about service advisor trying to justify cost. And yes we dont get but a very small of that amount, so we have to find quick and efficient ways to do things or we'de never make any money. But very few techs or even dealers do it. And I know there alot of people here that talk about Tc failures, but when compared to the overall number of owners and the number we see in the shop for replacement, its very small %. I think there alot of talk here on failures as there alot more enthusiasts, DIY's, modders etc...

Old 12-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Brutal, you have aVERY respected opinion here and perhaps you make a very good point.Many tend to come to the Forum with questions about problems. Or,at least half the time.Often there are known , common issues for the model in question and sometimes there are not. In the case of the X-Type TC, while many of us don't have any signs of pending failure, we start to get a bit scared about maintaining it so we don't have one. Perhaps this is NOT a commonfailure but just a much talked about one as it is a component that doesn't appear on the maintenance schedule. Sealed for life does seem todoom this component for certain death as everyone that has drained or replaced or rebuiltfinds that 600ml of fluid eventually becomes very little,if any.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of ALL X-Type TC's do fail after acertain mileage. Are many of us worrying about something that we just don't need to? Or, is the TC something we should be looking afteroutside of what the factory maintenace dictates? Your opinioncould help many of us sleep better.

Yes, bo...you matter too...

Old 12-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Well said mohrd. Having already been through 1 TC, I am a little leary about the second. I think there are a good many members who probably feel the same.

The horror stories about pulling the drain after 50k and almost nothing comes out also adds fuel to the paranoia fire.

Thatbeing said, last time I talked to my service rep about it, he said that after the 2002's were in the book, it really hasn't been an issue.

But how many high mileage X types do we have to use as a reference? What happens at 150k?

Old 12-16-2008, 05:09 PM

mine is down currently with 53k...its not hard to cook a 1/2qt. of oil when theres no cooling. my case had no oil just sludge and even ifI ran the crap out of the car, which I didnt something like this should never happen so early. very poor design...whathave people paid in labor to have theres replaced? Ill let you know my bill when done. I need a case first

Old 12-23-2008, 07:23 AM
pad

When you guys say transfer case do you mean the auto gearbox ? . Also where would change the transfer box fluid ? - will any garage do it ?

Old 12-23-2008, 07:50 AM
ud

Pad..do a Search on this topic ...there is bunches of pictures and discussions...Welcome

Old 12-23-2008, 09:21 AM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jason_L

mine is down currently with 53k...its not hard to cook a 1/2qt. of oil when theres no cooling. my case had no oil just sludge and even ifI ran the crap out of the car, which I didnt something like this should never happen so early. very poor design...whathave people paid in labor to have theres replaced? Ill let you know my bill when done. I need a case first
Jason,

There is a brand new T/C on EBAY...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-03...Q5fAccessories

Old 12-23-2008, 10:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

several reasons
THe case only is filled with 600mL of oil - thisis not much
The case relies on the cooling duct to stay cool - and it is missing from many cars as it is the lowest point under the car and it is flimsy.
the case has exhaust pipes running next to it. Can get very hot.
People push the awd hard in the winter. - because it is fun.
Jag service is very minimal. not changing the oil is ridiculous
The oil is hard to change properly. most shops and even dealers dont do it right.
Jag dealers dont rebuild or repair TCs, if it dies.. they want to sell you a several thousand dollar case.
The cases are backordered... if it dies, you man be out of a car for months.

Is that enough to convince you the issue is real?

to do an oil chance in the TC, takes less than a litre of oil - 20 bucks max. (dealer wanted 94 dollars a litre!!!)
labour is less than an hour to do the job by the drain plug - but you only get 2/3 of the oil out ($100 max )
to do the job more thoroughly, will take more time.. max $200

Keep us posted. If you can, ask your shop to capture the oil in a measuring cup. and let us know how much came out.
The transfer case is fine... as long as it has its measure of 600ml of oil in it... Even with perfect seals there has to be a miniscule loss which over time adds up.

Changing the oil can be tricky... though on the other forum... the one that is down at the moment... one of the members came up with a great and simple solution to the problem... (if they have migrated here perhaps they can post their pics... I forgot to make copies of them).. it involves a simple double external threaded extension to go into the drain plug hole. A short internally threaded tube was then screwed onto this and the original drain plug (complete with magnet) could then be screwed into this (all joins using a little pft tape to be sure of a seal). A suitable piece of clear plastic hose (ie tight push fit) gthen inserted into the 'new' drain extension and using a funnel 600ml of the correct oil poured into the case. I think the forum member allowed about 650ml... for obvious reasons... the hose was then quickly withdrawn and the drain plug inserted (quite easily due to the 'new' extension tube) and screwed up tight before more than a minimum of oil was lost.
The extension tube in place allows for future oil drains/refills.
The items were bought off the shelf in a UK hardware store (B & Q).

Mike

Old 12-23-2008, 11:07 AM
ud

I'd like to add..in the FAQ section, Mr Bojangles has a pretty darn nice tutorial with pictures too, on theTC lube oil change/method.