X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-type 2004, refueling problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 07:58 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Jay, it is possible that if you like filling the gas tank to an extremely full condition, that the internal anti-roll over valves have been damaged. This will restrict the vent path for the gas tank, leading to the gas pump thinking the tank is full. It is possible that you also have a bad vent valve as this is the other part of the vent path. This forces all the fumes/air from the tank through the purge canister (located above/forward of the rear differential). If the lines between the tank and the purge canister are plugged or the valve is not functioning properly, then you can see the same thing. Checking the lines is pretty easy. The hard part of this will be getting under the car and simply getting the lines loose enough that you can remove the lines and blow some air through the lines.

If you are not a mechanically inclined person, you may want to have your local shop check that first before they start getting inside the tank and going through that process. Checking the lines and vent valve should be under and hour of labor. Then you can take things further if that does not show a problem.

If you need more info, let me know.

The following users liked this post:
joec (06-09-2014)
Old 08-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

While your issue sounds more severe, I at first had some similar problems when I first bought my X. For me, if i cant the fuel nozzle to the left a tad, it hits the "sweet spot" and fills up fine. This was only needed at a few filling stations, many I could fill normally.

If you have not tried, perhaps try a different filling station or a different brand of filling station that may have slightly different pumps.

If that doesn't help, then go with Thermo.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Me too - refueling problem

I have a 2002 X-Type that kicks off the refueling pump if I go as fast a 1 liter/second. The modern pumps here in Canada now go as fast as 2 or 3 liter/second. I will try checking the hoses as suggested earlier in this thread.

We have a second 2002 X-Type that rarely kicks off the fuel pump!

Old 08-20-2010, 12:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, mine kicks off if I don't get everything just right. I found that if you bite your bottom lip and lift your left leg, it helps. Works for me...

Last edited by Chopper; 08-24-2010 at 09:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Vegaskid (02-06-2023)
Old 08-20-2010, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Chopper
Yes, mike kicks off if I don't get everything just right. I found that if you bite your bottom lip and lift your left leg, it helps. Works for me...
Of course! I believe that is clearly stated in the owners manual.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its also a common problem on the mondeo mk3 theres nothing you can do about it

Old 06-05-2014, 09:06 AM
Default Problem solve!!!

HI to all. Finally after over a year my filing up problem is solve. After visiting different garages, and being quote minimum of 600 quid for sorting it out, its all done for 246 quid with parts. What is was then? charcoal canister, and solenoid that are directly above a tank. No more problems with filling up!
how much for labour 80+VAT only 2 hours. not 6, no need for drooping all suspension down etc.
IF anyone need more info let me know.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

At my local Shell station I have no problems filling with Regular Unleaded . If I use the V-Power Nitro Unleaded pump ( Give the Jag a an occasional treat ) it cuts off every few seconds & I have to keep adjusting the pump trigger to get the flow just right . I think it could be pump flow volume .

Old 06-09-2014, 09:52 AM

I have a 2005 supercharged vandanplas that will not take fuel, so I just keep it in the garage and look at it.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:35 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, it's funny this thread pops up now. Just yesterday I had these refueling issues with my X-Type. My solution was to not pump the fuel at max flow.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:16 PM

Thing is..in my case if you decided to go crazy, and let's say fill it up for 25Ł (yes crazy I know) distributor will just switch off. 10Ł it was taking probably over 10 min :/ anyway it was taking ages. I had to literally drip it down. After asking in diferant garages, did get quotes for about 300Ł just to drop tank down. Finally manage to fix it all for less then that. So if anyone have similar problem, there is a hope, and it's not that expensive either. So good luck for everyone with same issue.

Last edited by Abuk; 06-11-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Abuk
Thing is..in my case if you decided to go crazy, and let's say fill it up for 25Ł (yes crazy I know) distributor will just switch off. 10Ł it was taking probably over 10 min :/ anyway it was taking ages. I had to literally drip it down. After asking in diferant garages, did get quotes for about 300Ł just to drop tank down. Finally manage to fix it all for less then that. So if anyone have similar problem, there is a hope, and it's not that expensive either. So good luck for everyone with same issue.
Hello Abuk

Can you tell me how you fix the problem? I drive now my second Jaguar X-Type and both has the same problem. When I fill my tank it stop automatically. At that point I know it is not full! For the last 9.5 Liter I can drip the fuel manually. This 9.5 liter takes as long as the other 55 liter in the beginning :-(( I thought it was a based on a bad design. I had some stupid comments at the fuel-station why it takes so long!

Gérard

Old 10-26-2015, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Gerard_Dirks
Hello Abuk

Can you tell me how you fix the problem? I drive now my second Jaguar X-Type and both has the same problem. When I fill my tank it stop automatically. At that point I know it is not full! For the last 9.5 Liter I can drip the fuel manually. This 9.5 liter takes as long as the other 55 liter in the beginning :-(( I thought it was a based on a bad design. I had some stupid comments at the fuel-station why it takes so long!

Gérard
Hi Gérard,
I know it's nothing nice. I'm not saying that it have to be same as mine but...Reason for my fueling problem was charcoal filter that is on top of fuel tank. I was quoted up to 600 quid for dropping propshaft suspension down etc. Finally manage to find decent garage and it all costed me 120 pounds including part price (charcoal filter). I could not find it on eBay etc. I guess they had it from...jag? Don't know. Any way don't belive in story's they have to take half the car apart etc. They need to drop exhaust down and tank is slow ding out. I'm on holiday now back on 1St November will be able to give you exact price for part labour etc from invoice. So try to do that change charcoal evaporated fuel filter thing it's call something like that. Good luck!