X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X type face lift mirrors

Old 06-16-2012, 07:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default X type face lift mirrors

I have a set of mirrors from a face lift x type the indicator type which i wanted to use on my 05 to upgrade.Problem is the face lift ones are memory and my original ones are none memory power fold.My question is if any one can help could i take the guts out of both and basically swap things over the indicator is not a problem i will just run a feed from my side indicators.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Default Mirrors

Further to above the reason i asked this is someone sugested selling these and getting the right ones for my car ie the power fold type but this is easier said than done these face lift mirrors are really hard to come by.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Default mirrors

It as been suggested the task i am asking about as probably as never been tried so there for no one will have any help to offer.I am going to give it a go any way. But as anyone any info on striping either of the mirrors face lift one or pre face lift one that may help before i start.As the only thing i know is how to get the back cover off the pre face lift on not even sure how you get the cover off the face lift one.Not a very good start!!!!!

Old 06-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,820 Likes on 3,141 Posts

Alto, you may be right in that no one else has done this. Without having the mirrors in front of me, I can not be of any help.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:48 AM
Default Mirrors

Hello Thermo as you have been a great help with other problems i have had,was just wondering if you have any knowledge on removing glass and back cover from face lift mirrors thanks.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:39 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,820 Likes on 3,141 Posts

alto, I have not had the experience removing the glass off of the mirrors for our Jag. Granted, I did remove the glass off of a Ford product (Ford Expedition) and with that, what you had to do was to move the mirror over to allow you to slide your fingers between the mirror and the outer case. From there, you had to pull outwards on the mirror. It made a gawd aweful sound as you were ripping the gears over one another (designed to do this). Then what you had to do was once one set of gears was overcome, pop off the friction clip in the center of the mirror to free it from its mount. Form there, you could remove the other gear and the mirror was free.

So, what you have to envision is there is a ball joint in the center of the mirror that actually holds the mirror in place. This is simply pressed into place as the clips flex some to allow the ball to slip in. Then at the top and side of the mirror, you will have 2 threaded rods that go into motors that spin. As the motors spin, they will push/pull on these threaded rods to move the mirror around. If you are familiar with a "lead screw" setup, that is what they are using.

If you need help with the wiring, I will see what I can do. I have not looked over the drawings, but atleast I can be of some assistance there. That way you can know to match up say the black wire with the blue wire or whatever may be required.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:34 AM
Default mirrors

Thanks for that Thermo will see if i can do a bit more research,i have removed glass and cover from pre face lift ones before on them you pull the glass side ways to release,but not sure on the face lift ones,when trying to release anything like this you always feel like something is going to brake !!!!!

Old 07-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink Pass the ball ;)

Hello alto, I was following your thread and wanted to ask if you would be interested in selling your facelift mirrors to me as I have an 05 with memory seats and have been interested in doing this mod.

Rather than potentially damaging the mirrors you have, or frying a module the funds could be used to obtain the correct mirrors for your application

Either way, I thought i would offer...btw how did you locate those mirrors? (if i do need to locate a pair)

Cheers, Artax

Old 07-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Perhaps a mod could merge this thread with the original one???

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...or-type-73385/