X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You're kidding, right? Dealership Rant.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry You're kidding, right? Dealership Rant.

I dropped off the car at the dealership to have the squirrel-chewed wiring repaired. Then I got a call from the service manager first thing in the morning. He asked me if I wanted the computer hooked up to clear the codes after they repaired it because they charge for that. What the hell? They don't scan it to make sure they've actually fixed it before they send it out?

I told him that David would take care of it when he and Laura pick it up. Mike's actually a nice enough guy; that's just their policy. It's the principle of the thing. Why would you not check a car to make sure you had actually repaired it?

This is why I waited so long to buy a Jaguar. This is the only Jag dealership in the area and I bought a Honda from their Honda division back in the seventies and their service department was ridiculous then. Who doesn't check their work? grrrrrr

Old 09-23-2010, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

The dealerships are only interested making money unless you are looking at purchasing another car. Although if you bought your Jag through them it's a crime they won't help you out.

But go out and spent 30.00 on a code reader, it won't read all the codes but will get most of them, but it does allow you to erase all saved codes so the check engine light will go out.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:08 AM

You're exactly right. But a business that's only in it for the money, and not the quality of the product, is a sorry business.

The Honda Civic was the first car I ever bought. It was a cute little red 5 speed, manual transmission, brand new, and I loved it. Unfortunately it was a four banger and didn't have enough power to get out of its own way. lol I was twenty years old and knew nothing about buying a car; I paid the sticker price and bought the rust package. When I took it in to have the rust stuff done, they charged me a body shop fee to get it in the door. Thank goodness I never had to take it back to them for any repairs. I swore I'd never deal with those people again. So much for that.

We've got a code reader; David will check it and clear it when they pick up the car.

If they're going to do businees like this, they should just figure a small scan fee into the repair cost. This just makes them look bad.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Hmm i clear all codes wether related or not. But everyones differant. Anyway that code for your map sensor will clear if it doesnt continue to see the fault. And with a scanner its a whole 20 seconds. Of course if theyre useing ids it could be an hour after you have to reboot the stupid thing 5 times..GRRRRR

Old 09-23-2010, 03:26 PM

Ok! She's back from the dealership and she's all fixed! No codes. No problems. Nobody had to clear any codes after the wiring was fixed. All the scary dashboard lights went out. Good kitty!

Old 09-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Jo, my experience with the dealership in question was very similar to yours. I was not impressed with their level of service. I wasn't expecting to be waited on hand and foot, but atleast pay attention to me and grease me up before unloading my wallet with the cost of stuff. But, in their case, what is your option? Not like there is another dealership that is close. So, they can afford to treat you like they did since you really don't have another option. I'm just thankful I can do most of the repairs myself. So, if you ever need some work done on your car, let me know. Atleast you won't have to deal with the dealership for the small stuff.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Glad, they fixed your problems , X Type Owners are lucky to have such great friends BRutal, Thermo and others

Old 09-25-2010, 12:16 AM

Thank you, Thermo. I appreciate that. I need to get new spark plugs and a few minor preventative maintenance things done. She's running so smoothly now. I just love her! I may be asking you about doing some of the things like the transfer case and transmission lubs (or whatever it is you do to them). I don't know if my ex will be willing to do those.

He saw a blue Jag convertible up there and I think he fell in love with it. lol He's a Mustang man but I told him he should get one. I'd love to get a red one; that's going to be my next Jag, but I'll be darned if I'm going back there to get one. I'll drive the three hours to the next closest dealership first.

As it turned out, they did the clear the codes at no charge and test drove it before my daughter got there with my niece to pick it up for me. I think my politely chewing out the service manger on the phone worked. I don't mind fairly paying for services rendered, but don't screw with me by repairing the car but not making sure it's ready to be driven when it's picked up. As Brutal pointed out, it takes a few seconds, and it's really just finishing up the job.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:53 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Jo, if you need anything done, just hollar. I'm sure we can figure something out. I know I have been wanting to take a long weekend and spend it down on the coast there in VA Beach.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:27 AM

Thanks, Thermo. I appreciate it. She's purring like a good kitty right now. And parked in the garage when she's not on the road to keep out those pesky squirrels!