XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

What is the difference between dynamic mode and sports mode?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the difference between dynamic mode and sports mode?

The manual's description is vague about what the modes actually do. It is clear that when both are engaged, the car keeps the engine at high RPM. But what does each individually do?

Old 12-18-2016, 01:23 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

The Sport mode is only for the transmission. All it does is increase shift points for each gear and hold them for longer, it also will blip the throttle on aggressive downshifts.

The Dynamic mode changes several things. It makes the throttle response sharper, steering heavier and traction control system less obtrusive.

Old 12-18-2016, 02:06 PM

Thanks, that clarifies things. Some additions questions: So, dynamic mode does not affect the gear shift points in itself? On the other hand dynamic mode+sports mode seem to keep the RPM constantly high (I guess in the turbo range).

Old 12-18-2016, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

On top of the things above, if you have adaptive suspension dynamic usually stiffens it up, and I thought it kept the car in gear longer too. And it makes the dash angry! In cars with active exhaust it opens the baffles to get more of a growl.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

Dynamic mode makes everything more aggressive as you can see in the dynamic menu as you can turn each area on/off if you like.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I made my own mode with all dynamic on except steering which I think is a little artificial at times, but if I really want to be sporty I turn them all on.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by BigCat09
Dynamic mode makes everything more aggressive as you can see in the dynamic menu as you can turn each area on/off if you like.
I don't think my model has 'configurable dynamics.' I also doubt it has configurable suspension. So, then dynamic mode affects engine (perhaps throttle response?), gear shift (but how does that compare with sports mode?) and steering.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:45 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My dealer told me that Sport mode is to change the gears manually with the paddle shifter...... well it was some girl they use to explain tech to buyers so I guess she may have no idea what it really is (but she did seem informed). If Sport mode is what you explain then how do I go about changing gears with the paddle shifters?

Old 01-09-2017, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

I'm afraid that the girl was wrong about that. You can use the paddle shifters in any mode. To use the paddle shifters, all you need to do is to flick one (up or down) and then they are engaged. They stay on while you are using them, but if you dont use one for maybe a minute it goes back to full auto.

Even using the shifters the car will shift down by itself when you brake. In most modes it will also shift up rather than to redline, but not if you are in track mode from memory, and in that mode the gear number which shows up on the dash should go yellow and then red to warn you that pistons are about to pop through the bonnet.

I havent done this in the XE so check it before overrevving the car...

Old 01-10-2017, 09:57 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for that info I would not be doing anything crazy like that anyhow so I think I safe the car is fast enough for me in dynamic/sport mode to try anything else.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:04 AM
Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

The paddle shifters can be enabled and disabled in your setup menu too. I think it helps to have them turned to "off" in the "D" setting, and I have them set to Enabled on the "S" dial setting. This way I know I will be in "S" mode whenever I use the Paddles.

If the paddle mode is active in your setup menu for that D or S setting, all you need to do is try pulling one paddle back it should automatically switch to from auto to manual shift mode and show you what gear you're in (front and center of the dials), in order to enable you to make your choice to up or downshift from there.

Last edited by Austin7; 01-11-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Austin7
The paddle shifters can be enabled and disabled in your setup menu too. I think it helps to have them turned to "off" in the "D" setting, and I have them set to Enabled on the "S" dial setting. This way I know I will be in "S" mode whenever I use the Paddles.

If the paddle mode is active in your setup menu for that D or S setting, all you need to do is try pulling one paddle back it should automatically switch to from auto to manual shift mode and show you what gear you're in (front and center of the dials), in order to enable you to make your choice to up or downshift from there.
Agreed that is wise to disable in D mode. It's a pain the rears if you tap the gear lever by accident in D. Sport mode and the paddles are a pair. I will go into Sport mode and try not use the paddles.

8 gears with paddles on a car so powerful is another story. Really not necessary. I understand the benefits of gas mileage, but if you haven't already noticed... There's little difference in playing around with 4th-8th. It's hard to tell by ear, throttle response, or seat what gear I am in like a traditional manual.

I wish Sport mode code back to D once manual is engaged. Only way I find is to back into normal mode to cancel the paddle...

Old 01-11-2017, 12:36 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Agreed that is wise to disable in D mode. It's a pain the rears if you tap the gear lever by accident in D. Sport mode and the paddles are a pair. I will go into Sport mode and try not use the paddles.

8 gears with paddles on a car so powerful is another story. Really not necessary. I understand the benefits of gas mileage, but if you haven't already noticed... There's little difference in playing around with 4th-8th. It's hard to tell by ear, throttle response, or seat what gear I am in like a traditional manual.

I wish Sport mode code back to D once manual is engaged. Only way I find is to back into normal mode to cancel the paddle...
You might already know this but if you are using the paddles in D mode and want to go back to full auto (instead of temporary S) you can pull either paddle for 1-2 seconds and it goes back to full auto mode.

I sometimes use the paddles during the overtaking or if I am driving on a hilly terrain (engine braking on downhills). It is not easy to modulate the throttle to achieve kickdown to a correct gear.

Also, if you in Sport/Race mode and don't pull any paddles, the car will upshift for you. But if you start using paddles, then it becomes fully manual meaning you have to upshift, the car won't do it for you anymore.

Last edited by Demetre Gvaramia; 01-11-2017 at 12:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cr500 (01-13-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Demetre Gvaramia
You might already know this but if you are using the paddles in D mode and want to go back to full auto (instead of temporary S) you can pull either paddle for 1-2 seconds and it goes back to full auto mode.
Did not know that. I thought I tried that??? If I ever get my car back from the dealer (day 3 already), I will give it a try.

Don't bring your car to Sudbury Jaguar for service...

Old 01-11-2017, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member

That was the same in your XK, bigfella! All of my Jags have done it since the 08 XF.

I usually pull the "up" paddle, that way you dont get engine braking because it usually changes gear when you first pull.

I quite like the paddles with the 6 in the f type - in fact it is miles better than I was expecting because I pretty much thought 8 gears in a sports car is 2 too many, until I drove it. That said, the f type is a lot louder and it is easier to know where the revs are at without looking at the tacho. It is also the 380hp 6, not the 340.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

deleted: wrong thread due to "related threads" at bottom of thread posting.

Last edited by jaguny; 04-14-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

Dynamic Mode does way more for the cay than Sport mode. In the end, I drove the car in dynamic mode a lot of the time, wakes the car up more. Sport mode is a big nothing IMO. Sport more on Lotus or Aston is like a kick in the ***. Car practically jumps.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:36 PM

I don't feel the steering or the throttle response change as I do in my Corvette..Just trying to get to the bottom of what is actually happening.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by traknut
I don't feel the steering or the throttle response change as I do in my Corvette..Just trying to get to the bottom of what is actually happening.
If you are talking Sports mode, it will hold the throttle between gears longer in Automatic. I assume on the Vette you feel car nearly leap when Sports mode is pushed?

Old 07-05-2019, 09:20 AM
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

Dynamic Mode- Improved throttle response, heavier steering, if optioned, stiffer suspension, (exhaust valves open on F-types) No other Jaguar Besides F pace SVR has an active exhaust.

D vs S- you can enable paddles in D through the menu, and they are always enabled in S, either mode can be used without using the paddles. In S it holds the gears longer and has more aggresive downshifts. In D if the paddles are activated it will shift at redline regardless. in S mode using the paddles the car will NOT shift up and bang off the rev limiter. Every single mode will auto downshift to avoid from bogging or stalling when coming to a stop.

The following 3 users liked this post by StormtrooperFtype:
AZBob (07-05-2019), mosesbotbol (07-06-2019), tellcarl (07-13-2019)

Quick Reply: What is the difference between dynamic mode and sports mode?